Indiana CDE Labor Day Weekend 2006 - results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
Well I already keyed this all in one time - and lost it
default_unsure.png
:

so---- I will try again.

EDITED TO ADD: (8:36pm Tuesday Evening EDT) - Please feel free to CRITIQUE this thread, the pictures etc. I have NEVER been in a CDE before and I personally REQUEST CRITIGUES from those of you who have ANY experience doing this. If you don't feel comfortable writing a critique here - please email me at [email protected] or [email protected] Don't worry, I have thick skin and I want to use this as a learning experience for me! Thank you in advance for your time and troubles. I am only Sorry I left this out of the thread when I posted it earlier today. -- end of Edit/addition

Original thread begins here.

The Indiana CDE was held over the Labor Day weekend. This was the first CDE that Platinum and I have entered. We were in a combined training schooling show in April that convinced us that we wanted to compete in a full CDE.

Unfortunately, I had not adequately prepared Platinum for the CDE. About 1 month prior to the event, I brought him in from pasture (he was very obese) - put him and his buddies in a dry lot and significant cut in calories and started exercising them (round pen and driving) - working up to 30/40 minutes of mostly trotting 5 days a week. We needed more prep than that. He was worn out on the marathon around 4KM out of the 6.5km total (1km in phase A and 5.5km in the Marathon part). At the final vet check - the vets indicated that they thought they heard a heart arhythmia (I don't know how to spell that) - so I am having him stress tested this week. This may be the end of his CDE career but we can still compete in combined training (cones/dressage) and I have several more horses I am starting in harness this winter.

I went alone to the competition so did not have anyone to take pictures - fortunately the show photographer sold me a CD with 64 photos on it of us!! I wish I had taken photos of the grounds and the other people. I will try to remember to do that next year.

Our Dressage test (65.51%) was an improvement (5 points) over our schooling show test. I also FORGOT TO SALUTE THE JUDGE on my last halt - I did a ridden dressage salute and did not use my whip. That was a 4 - and my mistake. We got a 9 from one judge and a 7 from the other for our appearance :bgrin - you will notice that we need lessons in Dressage. My horse is trotting on his forehand but he is going forward.

In Cones Platinum was extremely responsive - and I was nervous. I oversteered him through 3 of the cones and we knocked one ball down on each. All my fault. He was LISTENING very well. We also came to a complete halt on the cones course in the poles that are on posts and in the formation of a big L. Don't know why - as he had seen those before - he did proceed willingly, but the halt cause some additional penalties. We ended up with 11 penalty points.

Marathon - we had Phase A (1km) of trotting - and then the actual marathon with hazards - 5 hazards and 5.5km course. All the hazards were inviting and fun - the water was a challenge that we did not overcome until afterwards - when the show was over - we went wading and learned the water was not a horrible thing. So basically we were eliminated at the last hazard.

We were slow on marathon. We had to walk quite a bit and even halted - waiting for the competitor behind us (with and appaloosa who won first place I believe) to pass us about 250m from the final hazard. They were trucking along and we were too slow. Platinum got a second wind when they passed - but then was mad when we were not able to "follow" the other horse (I held him up to give them more distance from us) - at the final hazard. We had a 2 minute hold there.

So -- here are some pictures - those who are really interested and have the time - I have a web page with 6MB of pictures on it (22 pictures in all) and some more info - including the results - who was there and how they did. Go to this webpage for that: foxhollerfarm.com/icde.html Please note. The show photographer gave me written permission to use these photos. I have a link to her website on mine - with her name.

Here we are starting the CONES course: see the poles with posts "L" in the background.

cones001.jpg

Here we are in Dressage:

dressage017.jpg

Hazard #2:

haz2033.jpg

Hazard #3:

haz3037.jpg

Hazard #5: - Platinum refusing to enter the water.

haz5047.jpg

and Schooling Hazard #5 when the show was all done:

schooling%20058.jpg

There were other people from the forum at the show - and DID I REMEMBER TO WRITE DOWN THEIR NAMES??? NO NO NO :no: and I can't remember who they were - so PLEASE re-introduce yourselves. PLEASE PLEASE.. You were so very nice and it was fun to meet you.

Anyway - this was the show - and we had a great time and look forward to going back. The organizers, volunteers, officials were fantastic. We learned a whole lot. The Hoosier Horse park is GREAT - it was the site of the PAN AM 3 Day Event Games in the past.

Thanks for reading my thread.

JJay

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh now that does look like FUN!!!!!!!!
default_smile.png

In the first picture, the cone behind Platinum's head almost looks like a party hat :bgrin

This is something I'd really like to get into "one day"
default_yes.gif
:

JJay, I love your turn out! You both look great! Is that russet harness new? Love your hat!

I hope his tests say he's ok. Thank you for sharing the event! I enjoy seeing photos!

Thanks Jill and Robin!

The Russet harness was purchased from Mini Express several years ago. It is my everyday harness.

We have a lovely black patton leather harness that was custom made for another horse - and it does not fit Platinum quite right. So we opted to use the russet one for both days.

I believe technically we should use (for Dressage/Presentation/Cones) black harness because the shafts of our cart have black patton (sp?) leather on them. Russet is ok for marathon and it does fit him much better. I decided I would rather have him comfortable than "beautiful" in appropriate harness, if you know what I mean.

Personally I love the russet, especially the color that the harness maker made this one. I have received many compliments about it.

Maybe I will have the black patton removed from the shafts!

I appreciate your time and interest.

JJay

Omigosh! I love your turnout! I LOVE the custom Pequea cart! That is SO much like what I wanted and couldn't find! I just can't say enough good about it! I want one like that but with a fabric seat, dash, and painted midnight blue with gold pinstriping. Maybe next year I can beg Mr. Stolzfus to make it for me.
default_wub.png
:

Congratulations on an improved score as well! You guys look GREAT out there--keep up the good work!

If I were you I would switch the patent on the cart shafts for russet leather or leave them without and paint the black metal brown. That russet harness is just "it" on your horse!

-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
Amy - how nice of you.

I do love the cart - John did a great job. It travels well. We need to repaint the metal anyway as it has scrapes and dings on the metal part. I think I will leave the shafts without anything (eg remove the patent -- and thanks for the correct spelling! hee hee).

The thing I like most about the cart is the slant in the basket - for me, with short legs, it is perfect for me to brace my legs.

A cart as you describe would be beautiful! Our next purchase (I HOPE) will be a 4 wheel wagonette from Itty Bitty. And a metal easy entry for the bigger horses (Platinum is right around 34" and some of my others are up to 36")

Although the wooden wheels are heavier - I did not use the "tires" because I don't have "no flat" ones - and someone with a bicycle had a flat out on course while scoping it out ahead of time.

I have another hat and jacket in a maroon color that matches the trim on the gray driving apron. I think I will use them with my gray horse however.. as this jacket does match the sunburn color in Platinum's mane and tail.

Dressing up was so much fun.

Thanks!!!

JJay

PS I have promised Platinum that I will lose 40 pounds by our next CDE or combined test. That should help us BOTH out!
default_yes.gif
:

JJay...thank you so much for sharing these photos with us!!! I just LOVE your turn out and the color combination of your hat, jacket and apron. It's very sharp!!! And did I mentione I LOVE your cart!!! Is that a country pleasure cart? I'm going to have to make a trip out to Pequea very soon and get mine....being so close to PA, I'd best not let that slip by for after relocating! nyway lookd like you guys had tons of fun!! Will look forward to your competition for next year. How is Platinum doing now? Did anything ever come of the vet check? (You guys look amazing together!)

Love the photos; looks like you are having SUCH a good time!

You are right about the turnout; russet harness is proper only if the carriage is of natural wood finish AND all of the trim is brown/russet. This would include the shaft wraps, any other leather trim on the shafts/singletree, all of the metal currently painted black, and the color of the seat and seat back. Switching over wouldn't be that hard to do-would just mean replacing the shaft wraps and other trim, repainting the painted metal, and recovering the seat and seat back. The only thing is, you sort of have to 'commit' to one or the other(complete black trim or complete brown/russet)to be completely proper in turnout.

When I ordered my Pequea cart, I must admit, I 'chickened out' on getting it with russet trim. I already had a LOVELY Smuckers Deluxe russet harness, but didn't want to use it for 'everyday'...looking back, it was a dumb decision. Now I will never actually use the absolutely gorgeous Smuckers russet harness....

Keep the photos coming; enjoy seeing them, and envy those of you all who live close enough to someplace that actually HOLDS CDEs and ADTs!

Margo

Hi JJay! I was one of the forum members that you met on Sunday. I drove down from Chicago area, but missed the VSE marathon
default_sad.png
I do think your turnout looks wonderful, but I don't know all the "dot your I's and cross your T's" stuff yet. This was my first experience with CDE, but I guarantee it won't be my last! I bought an odometer for my cart, and will start conditioning my little guy in hopes of competing with you next year. I did admire you going back to the water for schooling (you were headed there when you stopped to chat with my friend and I). So many people would not have used the opportunity to learn from the refusal. Although I could understand his not wanting to go in, because I thought it looked a lot deeper than it actually was. Everyone we met that day was very nice, and explained alot to me. Looking at your "mini trailer" inspired me to start working on a project I've been putting off for over a year: renovating a small cargo trailer into a custom mini hauler. I hope all of Platinum's tests turn out O.K. I'm going to check out your website now. Peggy

I really enjoy reading these as I DO hope to get to go to a CDE soon (maybe this weekend to spectate) and I would for sure like to try some out in the future (my gelding is still very green, however, and I am even more so).

LOVE the pics and your guy looks a lot like my hopeful.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back