In breeding and Line breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaneyrose

Reaction score
I`m kinda confused about this business of Linebreeding and inbreeding.....How far is is safe to go? ie: father to daughter or vice versa then an outcross to an unrelated horse or can you keep doing it down the line with grandparents to grandkids etc.... And what about brothers and sisters or half brothers and sisters??? Appreciate all thoughts and experiences on this subject. Thanks
default_smile.png

hi slaney

I have seen some absolutely stunning examples of inbreeding and line breeding but I have also seen horrible ones. I have also talked to other breeders and heard stories that would make your toes curl. I think unless you are as experienced and as knownledgeable as farms like Little King its best to stay away from it.

The other thing to keep in mind is even when you see beautiful outcomes you dont know whats going on the inside. Some of these inbred horses have immune system problems and some though fantastic themselves throw poor get.

I do hate that the miniature horse community has a reputation for inbreeding too much. I was stunned when at the University of IL one time a vet commented that miniatures wouldnt have near as many problems if breeders would stop inbreeding them so much. I dont think its done nearly as much now as it was in the beginning but the stigma remains.

This subject has arisen several times in the past, and I am sure if you search the forum, you will find the other posts...
default_yes.gif
:

The science of genetics simply does not support the concept of in breeding. Genetics considers in breeding to breed father to daughter, mother to son, brother to sister. You have to skip a first generation. I personally would not breed half either. There are too many quality horses available to breed to take the in breeding road.

Millie

The other thing to keep in mind is even when you see beautiful outcomes you dont know whats going on the inside. Some of these inbred horses have immune system problems and some though fantastic themselves throw poor get.

So it would be unadvisable to purchase a horse with a lot of line/inbreeding in its background even if it looks ok???

It can be done with great results.. the KEY is to have a truly good eye and not be barn blind.. that is something that is more prevelant in minis then in any other breed I have personally seen.

I personally think that is the biggest issue in minis both past and present.. but that is a different subject.

If you have the ability to truly see the horse in front of you and be able to cull, line breeding is one of the best and fastest ways to set type. If you opt to remain barn blind and are unable to see what you truly have in front of you then you will set bad faults just as quickly

Many lines have been line bred with great success and no it wouldnt stop me from buying a horse (being line bred)

In fact not only have many minis been line bred but many many ponies have as well

Last edited:
We line breed using four or five common ancestors. We have had great success. The key, as others have said, is to be able to critically evaluate your breeding stock and foals.

Tammie

:no: With in and close line breeding you not only double up on the good traits of the animal but also on the faults. And brains can be the sacriface. Had a good friend once who just had to have an Afgan hound, so she started going to shows, found the top winning kennel around and bought a puppy from them. Paid more for him than for her new car. Got him home and it took her six months to teach him just his name. Seemed like forever to teach him anything. We were having a lesson in reading pedagrees a short time later and upon looking at his well..... mystery solved. He was in bred for at least four generations.

Some of the most STUNNING horses in the industry are closely line-bred. But it is NOT something for the greenhorn to attempt without EXTENSIVE study of the bloodlines and histories of all animals involved....going many generations back.

I've attempted it for the first time last season, breeding Vegas to one of his daughters. Will I do it again? ABSOLUTELY. The results are breathtaking. So watch for this baby in Futurity, Open and for the mare in Broodmare.....and the pair in Mare & Foal....and both will be in a Vegas Get of Sire (that is...if I can get Nancy Mack to bring Baron to Nationals!) !!!

I have line bred in the past, some breedings have been repeated others not.

This is not a "miniature horse" thing. Many breeds have horses with close pedigrees, often if a "niche" was found everybody jumped on the bandwagon.

As far as the Afghan Hound your friends dog sounds like every other Afghan I've ever known. They are beautiful dogs but not known for their "brains".

Latest posts

Back