Important dog food related -- Please let this stay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wee Horse Farm

Reaction score
Somewhere in my travels this morning (vet's office, grocery etc.) I bumped into a label for Dad's Dog Food. I realized that it is made in Meadville, PA, about 35 miles from me. I know it's locally made & I've used it many years for my animals. But lately, for some reason, have gotten away from it.

I thot they wouldn't use the Chinese products that Menu Foods has been using. Sure enough, we (CJMM & I) went to their website & they DON'T use foreign products. So, it's back to Dad's for my critters. Don't even know if it is a nationwide product, but I know they have TV ads.

Anyway, here's the site in case you're interested. I was beginning to not know WHAT to feed them. This is soooooo scarey. Hope this helps someone.

Dad's pet food products

I am sure that errors have been made in North American products in the past, and surely will again in the future. I do try to "buy Canadian", but realize that even here, we can make mistakes...
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I do have to wonder about all this "hoopla" about the dog and cat food recalls. Yes...I agree that it is a sad thing, but we are losing more soldiers every day, and yet what is all over the News is about a few sadly deceased and/or sick pets. Whatever catches the whim of the Media, seems to be what we find to be the excitement of the day.

Perhaps not a popular opinion, but it's mine.
default_yes.gif
:

What an inflammatory statement to make. What a way to twist this into a political thing. Sorry, but all I wanted to do was to convey something that might be safe inside a bad situation. For many of us, oh, in fact, a lot of us, our animals are our friends and family.

I would appreciate it if those who feel they need to react to what was said above by Sue C. or what I'm saying here, please put their political differences aside and just take my original post as it was meant -- to help those of us who are seeking help for our furry friends right now. Nothing else was meant or implied by my statement. Thanks for not commenting further on the political correctness of it.

Other comments, sure..........but keep the politics out of this one, please..........thank you! - karen

Thank you Karen. I wish we could get Dads here.

Sue:

All the "hoopla" (as you put it) is from pet lovers, one of which you could not be with this statement you made. I agree there are always more important things in peoples lives and there are soldiers dying everyday who are someones kids. To some pet lovers these pets are their kids and their grief is no less than that for a person. I spent Saturday making home made dog food and ordered vitamin suppliments to give my dogs with it so I can cut out the dry for a while. I hope it was not in my dry brand and really hope it won't be found in our horse feed.

I for one do not think the media did a good job, most people have never heard of "Menu Foods" so they thought their cats and dogs were safe, the media should have plastered the Name Brands for people to see and relate to. Your statement was cold and rude, Karen was posting critical information for true pet lovers.

Thank you Karen, I do use Dad's also. "I" appreciate your sharing this with the intent you delivered it. It is unfortunate that another responded thusly but you and I and others with beloved pets know the grief and heartache those who have lost beloved fur family members feel don't we?

Thanks Karen, I don't beleive we have that here in Tx. I have 6 dogs and 1 cat and would feel just horrible if anything happened to any of them. So far the feed I use for them is good. But there have been so many dogs that have died. I beleive they said on the news over a thousand now! Just horrible.
default_sad.png

Joyce

I JUST read in the newspaper that Alpo "cuts and gravy" style canned foods are also being recalled, but just a certain batch, info below:

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date.** This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons.

This is what I've been feeding my two dogs, and I am sick with worry. I checked the other recalled foods list over and over to be sure that what I was feeding wasn't on it, and finally find out that it IS tainted.

:new_shocked:

Thanks for posting that Karen.
default_yes.gif
: We don't have Dad's here either. I think people who are concerned are just going to have to do their own individual research in their own town to find out what is safe. I think there will continue to be more brands added to the list, so trying to buy from small local companies that use only homegrown sources is probably our best bet. YES, I know not all homegrown sources are safe, however, for the time being, it's most likely a safer choice for our beloved 4-legged loved ones.

What a way to twist this into a political thing
I am just about the LEAST political person you could know...
default_yes.gif
: :new_shocked: BUT I do place a lot of heart and love into my fellow MAN. (or woman, of course)

All the "hoopla" (as you put it) is from pet lovers, one of which you could not be with this statement you made.
I see...so therefore; to love my fellow man, and put them first on my list...is to NOT love my pets?? Hmmmm, that's a new one on me. I will have to go out and tell them all to run away and live somewhere else.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek:

I am sorry that it was this post that finally "hit me", and gave me cause to vent here...it is just that everywhere one goes...this is all one reads and hears about, above ALL ELSE. There have been human deaths atributed to food poisonings, rats found in human foods, recalls of canned foods not even all that long ago...Heaven only KNOWS what all else...but horrors, if it happens to a cat or dog.

I just wanted to have it put into the perspective to which it belongs.

I AM (contrary to "popular" belief here) an animal lover, and certainly do not agree with the way this has been handled any more than any of you, but put it where it belongs in my life.

[SIZE=12pt]i normally don't post about things like this but i can't bite my fingers. i truely don't/can't beleive anyone of us think it is more horrible for a dog to die then a human and as far as things topping peoples lists of what's important, i guess i missed something because i did not see a list HERE. i do not think it was out of line in anyway to post about what pet foods are safe. people post some pretty crazy things here but who am i to judge and say it is not important or that they should be thinking of more important issues. i would like to thank you though for helping all of us "put this into the persective in which it belongs" :eek: , and to Karen, thank you for posting this, i have been wondering what to feed and i can buy Dad's here. Nikki [/SIZE]

Bil-Jac is also safe their site is www.biljac.com

My dogs love it.

What a way to twist this into a political thing
I am just about the LEAST political person you could know...
default_yes.gif
: :new_shocked: BUT I do place a lot of heart and love into my fellow MAN. (or woman, of course)

All the "hoopla" (as you put it) is from pet lovers, one of which you could not be with this statement you made.
I see...so therefore; to love my fellow man, and put them first on my list...is to NOT love my pets?? Hmmmm, that's a new one on me. I will have to go out and tell them all to run away and live somewhere else.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek:

I am sorry that it was this post that finally "hit me", and gave me cause to vent here...it is just that everywhere one goes...this is all one reads and hears about, above ALL ELSE. There have been human deaths atributed to food poisonings, rats found in human foods, recalls of canned foods not even all that long ago...Heaven only KNOWS what all else...but horrors, if it happens to a cat or dog.

I just wanted to have it put into the perspective to which it belongs.

I AM (contrary to "popular" belief here) an animal lover, and certainly do not agree with the way this has been handled any more than any of you, but put it where it belongs in my life.
Several weeks ago it WAS HUMAN food- remember the peanut butter scare? People dying? Yup, it was on the news for weeks, too.

I am sorry about our soldiers dying overseas. But we ARE at war, people die. I am saddened every time I hear one of our fellas was killed. But I would be DEVASTATED if my pet would die. No matter what the cause. He is my LIFE. As is MANY MANY other peoples' pets.

What should the media do? Ignore the problem? So what if a hundred, thousand more die. After all, it's only a dog. Or cat.

THANK GOD THEY DON'T IGNORE THE PROBLEM. And it ISN'T the "same old story". More details are coming out. More different brands of dog and cat food. Just because your pet food is safe today doesn't mean tomorrow that might not change. And who knows, maybe someone is "practicing" on pet foods- are human foods are next?

I COULD NOT IMAGINE WHAT I WOULD DO IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO ONE OF MY ANIMALS ESPECIALLY IF IT WAS BECAUSE OF SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I GUESS I GO BY WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN MY LIFE AT THE MOMENT. IF THERE IS DOG FOOD ON THE MARKET THIS MONTH THAT WILL KILL MY BELOVED PET THAN THAT IS MY TOP CONCERN. NEXT MONTH IF MY CHILD IS SICK THAT IS MY TOP CONCERN. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS ON THE NEWS REPEATEDLY DOESNT MEAN THERE ARE OTHER THINGS LESS IMPORTANT IT IS JUST WHAT IS IMPORTANT AT THAT MOMENT. PERSONALLY I HAVE SEEN ALOT MORE ON THE NEWS ABOUT WAR (WHICH I FEEL FOR THOSE FAMILIES EVERY TIME I SEE A SOLDIER HAS DIED) IN THE LAST FEW YEARS THAN I AM SURE I WILL EVER SEE ABOUT BAD DOG FOOD. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION BUT I THINK EVERYONE IS JUST CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR PETS. THANKS KAREN FOR THAT INFO AND FOR YOUR CONCERN FOR OUR PETS
default_yes.gif
:

I'm trying to be quiet as this turns into a debate -- Nope, can't do it.............this post is about dog food and cat food. Period. Know what? There is a wonderful thing about media - all media -- books, Internet, TV, radio, film, newspapers etc etc..............and that thing is........if ya don't like it --- you don't have to look!! It's that easy. If a topic is not of concern to you, ignore it. :eek:fftopic:

There isn't much sense in going into it with the people who are into the topic & trying to get them not to be concerned about the topic. That won't work. Period. So, why not just play nice & let those who do have something to contribute to a topic, do so.

Going in & saying it's a worthless or "less important" topic, won't make it so. People are who they are. If you don't care for a topic, why not just not post? Let those who are interested, read & talk about it. Unless, of course, a topic is argumentative to begin with and almost invites or almost draws folks in to argue. Politics, religion, for example. Almost a guaranteed fist fight, even at family dinners where everyone loves each other. :new_argue: Neither were in this post to begin with, for sure, but one sneaked in anyway. Darn! :ugh:

is there a place on the internet that lists all the dog food recalls, would like to make sure the kind I am using is not on it. I do not feed my guys canned or pouches, they only get dry.

Is it just canned and pouches that are tainted -- is dry stuff safe because I feed my guys medi cal in a bag and I buy it at my vets - it does cost a bit so it had better be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't get Dads (or Bil-Jac) here, but to day when I went to pick up a few cans of dog food I found myself reading labels. I didn't want the chunky variety with gravy--not even because of the recalls, just because Sheba prefers the meaty variety rather than the chunky stuff--and there were only 2 brands to choose from. I picked up my first choice, read the label, saw wheat gluten & put it back. The other brand had no wheat gluten so I went with it even though I figure it is a "cheap" product & don't usually buy it. I'm only using it to mix with dry food to entice Sheba to eat it, so it's just "extra" not her main nutrition. (She is having tooth problems & is having trouble eating--if her dry food is mixed with canned food & milk she can & will eat it. We can't get her into the vet to have her teeth worked on until next week, so for now she is on antibiotics & softer food.)

It seems Sue thinks we should discuss nothing but war casualties here? If you don't want to talk about or read about subjects other than war then perhaps you shouldn't open topics which are clearly titled with non-war titles.

Karen I thank you for that heads up. For taking the time out to be as concerned of a Pet Parent as I and many other pet lovers are. This has truely been a very scarey incident that has happened in our animal world and any little bit of help, information and "uniting" to keep our loved pets safe is worth the world to me. I am still keeping watch of my girls. Each and every day I monitor them and watch them through out their daily activities. It's times like these that unite people. Being able to talk and share what everyone knows and what they're doing to help is priceless.

I for one if I'm not interested in a subject matter or "whatever" is inside of a thread, exercise the option of bypassing it. I wish more people would do the same.

I understand what Sue C. is saying, I think she just said it wrong. This IS primarily an animal forum and that's primarily what the subject matter is.

I for one am glad the media is spending so much time on this....animals are usually the last to receive any attention from the news, etc...

If you would like to know the pet foods recalled go to google, then menufoods recall.
default_sad.png

So far our critters are fine. :bgrin I was just lucky I guess that my dog & kitty food didn't have wheat glutin

in it. Our loveable pets depend on us for food, drink, love & safty. If I killed my pet by feeding it

this bad food I would never forgive myself. I know there are a lot of people feeling so guility over

the loss of their pet. It really wasn't their falt. :no: cjmm

Well I just buy dry food, it maybe Ol' Roys, but my doggie sure likes it and that is good enough for me. Even though it is from Walmart.

Latest posts

Back