Giving Aspirin to Dogs...How much??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I know years ago, my vet said Entrophen Tablets were safe to feed to my dog. I have not needed to use it again since, and that was many years and several dogs ago. So I looked online to see what is safe to feed to dogs, and of all the "people" meds, they say Aspirin (buffered/coated) is best and safest. I was looking for dosages, and found one that said 5-10 mg per pound, which would have made it 50-100 mg for a 10 pound dog. I went and gave 1 full 81 mg coated (low-dose) aspirin to my 10 pound Chinese Crested/Chihuahua cross, thinking it would be safe because is right in the middle of the suggested dose. I went back to my computer and read another site's information, and it said one 81 mg aspirin was enough to treat a 30-35 pound dog! I just about crapped, because if that is the case, I have just given my baby 3 times the proper dosage!! Does anyone know for certain what is the proper weight dosage??

THANK YOU soooo much Chanda!! According to that dosage, it looks like we are safe. WHEW!! Anyone know how they get 81 mg for a 15 lb dog though? If you do the 8mg/1 lb, that would be the low end at would be 80 mg (1 pill), correct?? Maybe I am calculating incorrectly??

Hi Mona I think the 81mg is alright for your 10lb dog. I dose one for every 15lb. Make sure not on a empty stomach.

Thanks Debby! Maybe I better try to get more into his stomach. He doesn't want to eat, so I did give him some cheese as that is one of his favorites. He never ate his food yesterday, but did eat some leftover chicken, gravy and potatoes from supper last night. Maybe I'll open a can of dog food and get some into him...he normally gobbles that up FAST! Thanks to both of you. MUCH appreciated!

Thanks Chanda. That looks like the same info I had read before I gave it to him, and yes, I had also read about the possible reaction to it, and I'll keep a close eye on him, but it seems he was dosed within the proper guidelines. I just gave him a bowl of his favorite canned food, and he gobbled it down no problem, so that should help reduce any ulcer concerns. Hope for the best.

I hope the aspirin helps him. I know how much you love your dogs so pray it´s nothing serious and your little fellow is back to normal soon.

I am guessing he hurt himself Debby. First off, you need to understand that he's a bit of a drama queen, so when he yelps, you never really know how bad (or not) it is! LOL! He seemed OK yesterday morning when he got up, but not far into the day, he seemed off. They he started to yelp when we would try to pick him up or move him. He ate his morning treat...I give them a small piece of Rollover (a tiny little cube, probably smaller than a dice) as a treat after their first bathroom break in the morning and last one at night. But, he never ate his dry food. I usually feed 2 portions of it a day, but never ate the first, so I never gave any more for his afternoon mean. He did eat leftovers from supper, but never ate his dry. He usually eats all of his meals, and then even asks for more in the evening. He never did last night. He seems like he may be sore in the shoulders or something. I got to thinking, and remembered that Sunday night, I was throwing his toy up into the air for him. He was on the large ottoman thing, and when he jumped up, and went to land, he toppled to the floor between the couch and the ottoman. I was speaking to my daughter on the phone at that time, and that is why I remembered it today, as I was telling her about it, then suddenly remembered that. At the time, I laughed at him, and he never yelped, or seemed sore or limping or hurt in any way...just kept playing. But now after his being sore early in the day, I think he must have hurt himself from the fall. Maybe jarred his shoulder or even his spine. I don't feel it is anything serious, requiring a vet visit, as upon palpation, he seems "ok". So, I am just hoping that the aspirin will help my little dram queen with any pain and inflammation he may be experiencing. And yes, he is absolutely the apple of my eye, so if I even remotely thought it was something worse, we'd be at the vet.

I used the coated Bayer when I used to dose my dog. It's supposed to be easier on the stomach.

You might try peanut butter; mine will eat anything that is coated with peanut butter. Hard for them to get the pill out of the peanut butter.

Thanks Marsha. I put the aspirin in cheese and he gobbled it right up. Also, just wanted to say, the aspirin seemed to help a LOT! I'll give him one more tonight, and that will just play it by ear after that, to see if he needs anything more or not, but today, withing a couple/few hours after getting the aspirin, he was already noticeably more comfortable.

I bet you are right Mona that fall may have done it. Peanut butter or cheese has always worked for me too, or Bologna. I also use ranch dressing. I don't even remember how I stumbled on to that but when my Pyr was so sick a couple years ago that was the only way I got her to begin eating again. I hope your baby will be fine tomorrow.

Hoping he makes a quick recovery Mona
default_smile.png
Nothing worse seeing our four legged friends not feeling 100%
default_smile.png

I give my older dog a doggie aspirin every day for arthritis...on the bottle it says 8-12mg per lb of body weight. They are made by Nutri-Vet and they are chewable, Radar loves them. This bottle says for medium to large dogs, 300mg. I'm sure they have it for small dogs as well.

Thanks Sonya. The little Monkey is back to his playful little self again, and no yelping in pain. Threw up twice today, so maybe the aspirin upset his tummy, but has been eating normally now anyway, so I am sure he is A-OK! Thanks again to all!

Formulary dose of aspirin is 10-35mg/kg or 4.54-15.9mg/# orally every 8-12 hours.

I generally start with 10mg/# twice daily.

Although aspirin is relatively safe,***NEVER give Tylenol, Advil, ibuprofen etc..*** to dogs or cats as 'no safe dose is determined'.

Dr. Matthew Taylor

Hi Mona,

I have had good luck with something called Traumeel tablets for my Chinese crested for a back injury he had when he got clipped by one of my bigger dogs. He went from limp tail and no control over his pooping, to a happy bouncing Chinese crested after struggling with treatment for over a week with other medications. That was about 4 years ago. My guy could not handle rimidyl and I forget what else we tried..., he kept throwing up and he was in so much pain we considered putting him to sleep, he was that bad with the pain... Somebody suggested the Traumeel and it worked really well for my guy. I only had to give the medicine for a short time and never again. Best wishes for your little guy. Just giving you an idea of something else to try if you need any other options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back