I'm worried

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone. I will be calling around today to find out what I can as far as local vets (although I think I've already contacted them, maybe there's one I haven't heard of), and to see if I can find a hauler incase I need one.

Last night was such a long night, I have no idea how everyone handles mare stare. My husband and I went out and checked on the horses hourly until bed. Not much had changed within that time. After we went to bed, we decided to get up every two hours to go see how they were. At 12 am, both horses seemed droopy, but they ate the tiny bit of grain offered to them. We walked them both around for 10 laps around the pen, and by the 6th lap, both had pooped. So then about an hour later, we came home and went to bed. At 3 am, both horses seemed normal, very alert and wanted to eat. I only gave them a tiny bit of grain again, because I wanted to offer something that would be easily digested. Within 5 minutes after eating, Zoey had the squirts (I'm guessing it was the oil coming out) and then began pawing at her stomach and grunting. I knew that was a bad sign, so we started walking them again. When we finished, it was the same thing. Gideon was searching for food, and trying to eat wood, so I know he was feeling better. I ended up taking Zoey out to eat some grass for 5-10 minutes, and she seemed fine. Was walking around, didn't act in pain at all. Then when I took her back to the pen, she instantly started pawing at her stomach again. I was so scared, I asked my husband to walk her more, while I ran home and called the person I bought her from. I didn't know who else to call, but I felt so bad because it was like 4:45 in the morning. She gave me advice, and we talked. She made me feel a lot better to be honest. So I went back over to the horse pen and had Mark stop walking her. You could tell she was in pain, but she wasn't pawing her stomach anymore. Her and Gideon went to sleep as Mark and I pulled out lawn chairs and just watched them. Then Gideon decided to lay down and Zoey moved to the side. When she did it, she reached out for mark, like she wanted him to pet her. So he did, and when he reached over her, she reached up and bit his upper lip. We thought he was going to need stitches, she got him so good. He went home to clean up the blood, and I stayed back with the horses till almost 6 am. Then I came home and went to bed. At 6:30, I went back out and Zoey pawed at her stomach twice, then stopped. She would prance from side to side on her front feet, and she followed me around but didn't want me to touch her. Gideon is acting like normal, except like he is more tired. Both have had tiny manure piles or diarrhea, and tons of gas. In fact, it sounds like the squirts (again, maybe the oil)?

So now, I'm thinking that the oil and bran hurt her stomach, and that may be why she is pawing. She hasn't laid down or rolled (it's raining, so I would be able to tell). I feel so bad for them.

To be honost with you from everything you have said from start to finish, I don't know that it's colic. Sounds like there may be an issue with the hay, and on top of that you may be feeding to much grain. If your horse is flipping up his lip when he sniffs at the hay you put in that is a clear sign something in there smells to them. Is your hay dusty, does it have white or black specs on it? Smell it yourself what does it smell like? Is the blades of grass long or short, are they prickly or soft? Also how much grain do you feed and what type. I have known horses to get upset stomach's over feeding bran or even beet pulp, they will act colicy once given them, but it wears off shortly. One other question I have is are the horses kept in small pens or stalls all the time? How big of an area do they have. The pawing that your filly is doing may be because she is penned up as well.

Again, like I said this does not sound like colic. But they could certainly be upset from the hay and grain!

When Gideon was turning up his lip, it wasn't at hay. It was him just standing there, and me observing him. They get 12 ounces of Purina Junior in the morning and also at night. So a pound and a half a day? It could have been a bad batch of feed, but the bag was almost all gone before they started showing any symptoms yesterday. The hay may be older, I've been feeding this bale for about 3 weeks now. I did throw the hay they wouldn't touch in a corner or the pen, and this morning, it was all gone. I'm assuming someone got hungry in the early morning hours. I searched through the hay yesterday and there were no visible spores or dust. It looked just like it always does, and the leaves are soft, not hard. It also smells the same, which really confused me.

Their pen is maybe 50 feet by 70 feet in most areas. There's a smaller square pen in there, but it isn't that big. They have never been stalled, the closest they come to it is a 12X10 run in that has a gate to section it off, for when I feed them seperately. Thanks for the advice.

Just came back in about 10 mintues ago, and Zoey is moving around more. She didn't paw the ground, but she is still really irritable.

I am so sorry you don't have a vet to come out to your place. I pray your horses will be ok.

I want to share that there have been times when we have fed our horses hay, the same stuff we have fed them all winter, and once in a while they were not interested in eating a bale - it smells and looks good to US but trusted that if they didn't want to eat it something was wrong with it whether a cat peed on it etc. and tossed the hay and put in a new bale.

Maybe it's more the grain, maybe the bottom of the bag got a little wet or just from sitting so long it got old and they got upset tummy's from it. I'm grasping at straws here but feeding only a lb or two a day that 50lb bag could get a little old or damp and then could cause some issues. I would also start looking for a vet that comes out to you and have them checked on and also to have for future. Good luck keep us posted.

Go to your Tractor Supply Co store and get Kaolin give them 1/4 cup twice a day. This has worked for me for 6 horses that had the same symptoms. Mine all acted colicky did not want to finish their hay and were bloated with gas mine all pooped too.

wow im so sorry for all you have been thru!!! rule number one never let a horse put its mouth near your face!! there was a person on the forum who had their lip bit clear off!! I love all my horses and I dont "THINK" they would bite me but I dont give them the opportunity! I hope hubby is feeling better (same thing goes for hair never let a horse chew on your hair its only cute until they scalp you and i mean that literally)

None of us can see these horses so really hard to give any advice. But I get this feeling that maybe you are over reacting just a tiny bit. I would back off a bit and watch them from a distance if possible. After watching them so closely half the day and all night that alone could cause them to be irritable. If you arent sleeping and are constantly watching them they probably arent getting rest either.

Now having said that i always take it very seriously if a horse stops eating. But yours really havent stopped eating they just didnt want a portion of hay.

Also keep in mind most people say diarhea and its really loose stools. Sound silly but there is a huge difference. So if you talk to a vet be sure to use the right term. Diarhea would be dirty water like feces coming out. Loose stools would be cow patty like instead of formed balls. Oil would definately cause loose stools but not probably diarhea.

Sending good thoughts your way for ALL of you to get some rest and feel better!!!

hoping everyone is ok and all goes well... just wanted to say since oleander was mentioned i don't think it could be that, we had an Arab with oleander poisoning years ago, the vet said he would guess that the horse bit into a batch of something, when he tasted the oleander he spit it out, so all he got was a little juice on his tongue, as if he had swallowed any he would have died. and this is a big horse not a mini. as it was he did not eat or drink for several days, he had IV fluids to keep him hydrated, lost over 200 pounds before he started eating again. thank God no residuals... he will be 17 in April and going strong! but if there is any chance oleander could blow into your yard, i would sure try to fix that!!

Just a note about feeds... spring pasture is WAY higher in protein than alfalfa hay and some grass hays are pretty close to some alfalfas in content as well. Does the hay smell sour at all??

You mentioned you kept the open bale in a metal container.. hay in a metal can can create moister and turn the hay bad before you can pick up on it same goes for oats kept that way...

Back