I'm worried

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I know that when a horse doesn't eat it's grain, then that can be a possible sign of an ulcer. But what about when a horse eats it's grain but leaves most of it's hay? I'm really worried because out of 8 months, Gideon has never refused any food, or had any left over, until today. He ate his grain, and the orchard hay, but left the alfalfa hay in his tub. The alfalfa isn't out of a new bale, so I don't see how anything would be wrong with it, and Zoey ate her portion. He is acting normal...plenty of manure. The only thing I can think of, is maybe the weather is bothering him? It's been beyond windy here for the past 4 days, and maybe the dirt is bothering him? Please help!!!

Is it possibly because its too much protien for him and just doesn't like it anymore. Thats what I would be thinking if he just ate the orchard and left the alfalfa, quite a bit difference in protien. Other people could probably be giving you better answers.

Hello there,

What I would do is keep a very close eye on him. Did you try opening up another bale of alfalfa? It could be that that portion was a bit moldy or there is something on it that makes it smell bad (cat pee?) or some sort of weed maybe. I really don't think that the wind would cause a horse not to eat one kind of hay and leave the other. Nor would a horse pick it out because it has to much protein. And if he's always eaten every morsal, this is a warning flag of some sort. I would first try a new bale. You might want to take his temp, just to rule out things.

Keep us posted and good luck
default_smile.png

Liz

I have been crying for the last hour. I fed Gideon some grain and orchard hay, and he ate the grain and left the orchard. I had him and my filly seperated, and sure enough, she didn't finish her hay either. I have been feeding this hay for the past month, so I don't know how it could be bad. (It's kept under a tarp, so it doesn't get wet, and the flake I feed from is kept in a metal trashcan. I noticed that my gelding is lefting his upper lip, so I think it might be a sign of pain. My filly is also not acting normal, somewhat depressed. I tried calling the vet out, and they told me that he is closing his practice down. He is the only one that travels to my town. I don't have a horse trailer, so I can't take them to another vet (that is 40 minutes away). I feel so lost. I am going out right now to take their temps.

My vet lives 45 minutes from me. I call her cell if I have an urgent question. Could you find your next closest vet and call? I think a vet would come to your place if they knew your circumstances. Keep us posted. I know it is very scary when they stop eating
default_sad.png

It really sounds like something is up with that hay. I would get a vet there asap. Very frusterating it must be not to find a vet.

BTW: I've had a couple of horses that would leave the alfalfa and eat the other stuff. They just don't like the huge amount of protien, thats why I mentioned it.
default_wink.png
:

I have been crying for the last hour. I fed Gideon some grain and orchard hay, and he ate the grain and left the orchard. I had him and my filly seperated, and sure enough, she didn't finish her hay either. I have been feeding this hay for the past month, so I don't know how it could be bad. (It's kept under a tarp, so it doesn't get wet, and the flake I feed from is kept in a metal trashcan. I noticed that my gelding is lefting his upper lip, so I think it might be a sign of pain. My filly is also not acting normal, somewhat depressed. I tried calling the vet out, and they told me that he is closing his practice down. He is the only one that travels to my town. I don't have a horse trailer, so I can't take them to another vet (that is 40 minutes away). I feel so lost. I am going out right now to take their temps.
Honey, don't cry. Do you know anyone else who has horses? Can you call them and ask them who they use for their vet?

Sending good thoughts that all will work out.
default_pray.gif
:

Liz

Ok, wow, today has been a day from "you know where"!!! So, I went back and took temps, Zoey's was 98.7 and Gideon's was 99.5. I called the vet who I was trying to get to, and the woman told me that it sounds like they are trying to colic. I freaked out. I called my aunt who has a trailer but no truck, my neighbor who has horses and said he could take me to the vet's tomorrow but absolutely not today, another vet who is over an hour away and wanted me to take the horse to the other vet (who is 45 minutes away), another vet who is no longer in business, and then a local vet (who I can not stand) who just happened to be out of town until early march. I was so desperate, I even called a total stranger whom a friend referred me to. She showed up right before my aunt showed up, to help me walk the horses, and do whatever else we could. The woman left as soon as she knew I had someone else with horse knowledge here. Then I even asked my other neighbor if I could use her truck, for my aunt's trailer. That didn't go over well...and I have yet to hear a response.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

When my aunt got here, I had already pulled the horses out to try to get them to eat some grass. Gideon was hesitant but nibbled here and there. My aunt ended up giving them a shot of banamine (2 cc?...does that sound right?), we walked them aroud for 15-20 minutes, then allowed them to graze a bit, and then got them to eat some bran. She also gave them some mineral oil before she left. They act a bit better now, and they ate a little more grain and were eating a little alfalfa hay (turns out it's the orchard hay they won't touch). I feel beyond stressed out. Seems like a no-win situation, and you can bet that I will be trying to get a truck and trailer of my own as soon as humanly possible. So many dead ends, all the way around.

Both pooped about 10 minutes after I returned them to their pen. So I am hoping that they will be ok now.

BTW: I've had a couple of horses that would leave the alfalfa and eat the other stuff. They just don't like the huge amount of protien, thats why I mentioned it.
default_wink.png
:
This is interesting. I guess I have never heard this before in all the years I have had horses. How would one know it was due to the protein and not just say a batch of hay? Not trying to start anything. I'm truly interested. Hey, I'm open to learning something new.
default_wink.png
:

Liz

Should I not feed the horses? I just read an article that said if the horse is impacting, then do not feed them anything. I don't want to make it worse!!!

My advice is to stop feeding them take away all the feed they have and monitor there manure output compared to what they normally do.

When you see them passing normal manure and amounts you can feed them small amounts. they may not be colicking but better to be safe then sorry.

There is a horse hosptial in Somis I am not sure how far away that is from you. They also have people they can give you numbers for who do haul and do hauls like that to and from the vet in case you need it.

Humphrey, Giacopuzzi and Associates Equine Hospital, 4774 Donlon Road, Somis, CA 93066 (805) 386-4291

They are great when I was in CA I spent more time then I would like to have there
default_smile.png
I am thinking you are in the high desert? They might be able to help you find a vet that is at least somewhat close to you as well?

My advice is to stop feeding them take away all the feed they have and monitor there manure output compared to what they normally do.

When you see them passing normal manure and amounts you can feed them small amounts. they may not be colicking but better to be safe then sorry.

There is a horse hosptial in Somis I am not sure how far away that is from you. They also have people they can give you numbers for who do haul and do hauls like that to and from the vet in case you need it.

Humphrey, Giacopuzzi and Associates Equine Hospital, 4774 Donlon Road, Somis, CA 93066 (805) 386-4291
This is where I have taken my horses and they did a GREAT job and were really nice. I didn't realize you were in Barstow. Do you know Stephanie from Horse Song Ranch? 760-377-3232. She's out that way somewhere I believe?

I agree with Lisa about taking the hay away. You might want to toss that bale that they wouldn't eat from. Could be it's just yucky tasting and not bad at all.

And a horse can be impacted and still pass some manure. But it seems weird that both won't eat the hay, so I'm thinking that it might just be the hay.

Liz

Well I just came back from checking on them and giving them some gatorade (just in case somehow they are dehydrated). When I first saw them, both were laying down. I felt my heart stop. But luckily they weren't rolling.

I left the little bit of hay that they had, in with them. They were nibbling on it when I left. I think that I won't be feeding them anything else tonight, which makes me feel horrible if it isn't an impaction. But I want to be safe rather than sorry. I didn't think that it was possible to have two horses colic at the same time, it's just too coincidental. But with the wind blowing, it could have blown anything in there with them. I have been finding bamboo leaves non-stop, and my aunt said that they can't digest those. So maybe that's what it is. I've also found trash baggies and napkins in there. For all I know, other neighbors have oleander bushes, and some of the leaves could have blown into the horses pen. There's just so many possibilities.

I have a very long night ahead of me!!! And I'll probably be taking tomorrow off from work. I just want my little ones to be ok.

Edited to add...I don't know where Somis is. I've never heard of there. I also don't know Stephanie. The area code is the same as mine, but the first three digits are a distance from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited to add...I don't know where Somis is. I've never heard of there. I also don't know Stephanie. The area code is the same as mine, but the first three digits are a distance from me.

somis is about 160 miles from Barstow.. like I said being a major equine hosptial and all things considered pretty close to you (compared to the distance some have to travel to get to a equine hospital) they might be able to help you with other vets inthe area

Well I just came back from checking on them and giving them some gatorade (just in case somehow they are dehydrated). When I first saw them, both were laying down. I felt my heart stop. But luckily they weren't rolling.

I left the little bit of hay that they had, in with them. They were nibbling on it when I left. I think that I won't be feeding them anything else tonight, which makes me feel horrible if it isn't an impaction. But I want to be safe rather than sorry. I didn't think that it was possible to have two horses colic at the same time, it's just too coincidental. But with the wind blowing, it could have blown anything in there with them. I have been finding bamboo leaves non-stop, and my aunt said that they can't digest those. So maybe that's what it is. I've also found trash baggies and napkins in there. For all I know, other neighbors have oleander bushes, and some of the leaves could have blown into the horses pen. There's just so many possibilities.

I have a very long night ahead of me!!! And I'll probably be taking tomorrow off from work. I just want my little ones to be ok.

You sound like a great horse mom!

I don't know if I would worry about the bamboo. My horses eat them all the time and have for years. (My next door neighbor has them on our property line :new_shocked: ) But oleander, that would make me nervous. If both are sick, I would suspect something they both ate that wasn't right.

Okay, I feel for you. I did a 5 day impaction colic once many years ago. They now go to the hospital if I can't pop them out of one in a day.

Oh, I suppose you checked out Victorville?

Edited to add- I think Stephanie lives in Tehachapi area? Not sure how far that is from you.

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Victorville is the closest vet to me. Actually it's Apple Valley. We had one in Victorville, but he is the mobile vet who is retiring. So the one in Apple Valley told me that if I could get them there by 4:30, he'd see them. I couldn't get a truck by then, and Apple Valley is about 45 minues from me. There's a vet down in Rialto that I was going to have come here, but he said that if it was an impaction and with them being minis, I'd be better off trying to get them to Apple Valley. (As is I wasn't already trying!!!) Then I called a vet here in Barstow who specializes in small animals, but sees horses occasionally also (I can't stand him) but he isn't in town till early March.

My aunt says that they don't appear to be colicy because they were nibbling the grass just fine. But I fear that it may be something else then. I'll monitor them tonight, but even if there is an emergency, I don't know who to take them to. The closest place to me that may be open all night is down in Riverside, which is over an hour away. And then I have the same problem of my aunt having a trailer but no truck.
default_unsure.png
: I am praying really, really hard right now.

default_wink.png
:
This is interesting. I guess I have never heard this before in all the years I have had horses. How would one know it was due to the protein and not just say a batch of hay? Not trying to start anything. I'm truly interested. Hey, I'm open to learning something new.
default_wink.png
:

Liz
It hasn't been just a paticular batch of hay, I got hay from different people, and I try getting alfalfa/orchard hay. None of my horses really liked the local hay anyway, but my couple just did not like the alfalfa. Now I get my hay from a dealer and they seem to like it better and eat more of it but still leaves a little alfalfa. The rest loves it, I have one that eats all of it and you can't even tell he was ever given hay lol.

Well it is also very possible that the wind blew in a virus or something but it is all guess work since we cant see them

Again calling all the vet hospitals within a 200 mile radius from you - they should be able to give you phone numbers to keep on hand of people who do local hauls. There are plenty that do that for a living and do take horses back and forth for owners even in the middle of the night to clinics and such.

I would think that is the best place to start anyway

Hi there,

Just checking in to see how your horses are today? I also want to say that I don't have a horse trailer but I do have numbers of several people that I can call in case I need to haul. Yes, it can cost a bit but boy, it saves on the worry part.

Liz

Latest posts

Back