I'm thinking about a second mini- advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renolizzie

Reaction score
I'm finally really thining about a second mini.

My current mini is pretty small 30 1/2 inches. He is 11 years old and a gelding. He appears to like other horses although he hasn't really been in with other horses. He was boarded at a stable with big horses around him. I believe he was gelded fairly young like before 3 years old. I'll have to see if I can find out when by looking over his paper work.

He really does look at the other horses he sees with longing in his eyes so I think he would like a companion. He does seem relaxed and happy at our place so I wouldn't want to exaggerate his lonesomeness.

He has goats on the fence line to keep him company but it is clear they don't interact much.

I will probably take a couple of more months to really be looking for another horse since it will take us that long to finish fencing the back two acres. I really want a larger area for the horses to be able to run around in.

I think another gelding would be best since the previous owner kept saying how in love he was with a mare that was in heat. I don't want have sexual issues in the pasture. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I've had a year of experience with my little horse and it has gone pretty well. We've worked through some minor issues and I have learned a lot although there is much more to learn I am sure.

I can either look for another older gelding or get a colt and geld him when the time is appropriate. It isn't easy to find a nice gelding around here but I did find Wiseguy, so it is possible.

I am not interested in showing but I love trail driving. So, the choice, an older gelding or a colt I geld when it gets older? Or do you think a mare would be fine?

Does anyone want to offer opinions or advice while I finish up the work around here to make sure I have the right set up for two horses:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're very in tune with your horse's needs! Providing him with a companion is a great idea.

If it was me, my preference would be another gelding, rather than a mare or a colt that you'd geld later. There are a lot of nice geldings out there and if you take your time and look, you're bound to find the perfect match. My second choice would be a colt to geld, but there are so many things you'd have to do with a youngster - training, gelding (a surgical procedures with some slight element of risk), etc. A nice settled older gelding would be a wonderful companion for your current boy.

Best of luck to you as you make your choice! I'm sure your little guy will be thrilled to have some company his own size and species.

Yes, get another- why are you asking???
default_yes.gif

I would go and look at Chances Forum.......

Sounds like you are taking it slow, have thought long and hard about it, and are seriously looking at moving forward with a second horse, Kudos to you! I am going to say aim for a gelding, people tend to get sold on the cute and fuzzy foal idea, not knowing what it will mature into, selling the idea of the potential it may have, where as a gelding that is several years old may already have training, has grown into its full size, the package is in front of you, you know what you are getting. This is ESP. True if you may want to show it, you can see what you have and not hope it may end up what you want when it matures.

CMHR has two geldings I would suggest: Billy or Sonny both located in Michigan.

There are others we do not have listed yet because they are not ready to put out there for adoption.

CMHR has two geldings I would suggest: Billy or Sonny both located in Michigan.

There are others we do not have listed yet because they are not ready to put out there for adoption.
It is unfortunate that Michigan is across the continent away from me. Too far for me to even begin to consider adopting but it is my hope that someone reading this thread that lives closer will see those cuties and think about adopting one of them. The fact that they have been fostered is a real bonus for someone looking to help a miniature horse that has been previously neglected or abused.

Trooper was gorgeous. I see he got a home.

Oh, Chances are like the weather- just stand there, eventually something you want will come along!!

PLEASE do not fall for one of these "adopt a horse from a feedlot" scams they are rife at the moment and all they are is a money making scam for the people running them!!

You could trawl through your local "craigslist" if you feel up to having your heart broken, there are genuine little horses on there needing "upgrades" lots of the time......

Oh, Chances are like the weather- just stand there, eventually something you want will come along!!

PLEASE do not fall for one of these "adopt a horse from a feedlot" scams they are rife at the moment and all they are is a money making scam for the people running them!!

You could trawl through your local "craigslist" if you feel up to having your heart broken, there are genuine little horses on there needing "upgrades" lots of the time......
I actually found Wiseguy on CL but...I had a professional come out with me to look him over. She was also brought her dad with her. They are very involved in minis.

The owner had all the shot records and let the trainer drive him and me, too. I was pretty persnickity because I knew that I would be very unhappy if I bought a horse and it didn't turn out well. I would have to try to find it a home as a pasture pet or some such. Animals can be heartbreaking and while I can afford some vet bills, there is a limit to my finances.

Wiseguy had one owner and Wiseguy was from a good breeder known by the trainer, even though he wasn't registered. I can't afford/don't want to drive to California and such to do shows so showing just doesn't interest me. There is a show in Reno once a year but other than that, there just isn't anything around here. Good breeding I wanted but actually being registered wasn't all that important to me.

I passed on a number of horses that I was referred to go look at.

I may have gotten lucky getting Wiseguy since he is so wonderful but I think I tipped the odds in my favor by holding out for what I wanted. All my animals are well taken care of even if they are not spoiled. The owner was and still is happy that I got her horse and I am still happy I got him as well.

What I do love is getting out and driving. My area is perfect for it. Wide open spaces and miles of flat roads.

The whole rescuing animals situation has a lot of scammers. So sad. One animal rescue group down here was finally raided by the sheriff's department due to the animals being skin and bones. Apparently, they had been soliciting donations for years but hadn't actually been feeding the horses for quite sometime.

Colts are rambunctious. Would your guy enjoy roughhousing constantly?

The training aspect of a colt may appeal to you.

I've had many colts/geldings over the last 10 years and Dapper Dan has gotten along with all of them, but the companion my boy seemed most content with was a mare. There were never any sexual problems of any kind. So I'm getting a retired brood mare this time.

Don't want to discourage you from getting a colt, but they are wild and crazy generally. I used to have people stop on the road by my house to tell me my horses were hurting each other. Colts just play rough.

Do look for good health and physical soundness. It's a heartbreak when you have an unsound animal. Good horses need homes, too.

Marsha-

I bet that Wiseguy would not enjoy constant rough housing. In fact, I don't think Wiseguy has ever actually been in with another horse since he left the breeder's place at three years old. He was boarded when he moved to our area but prior to that he lived in the country as the previous owner's only horse. He does seem to like other horses and wants to look at them and talk to them. He keeps looking for his horsey friends that lived up the street. They finally got a nice home. Those people weren't feeding them so a kindly old guy was throwing hay for them. Those people finally let the old guy take them and apparently the old guy has gotten some help with them. Such a happy ending for two nice horses.

I think you are right. Good horses need homes, too. Like I told my friend who has the mentally retarded dog and is so unhappy about all the behavioral issues but wants credit for "saving" the dog...next time you get a dog, get a nice dog with brains. Thousands of great dogs can't find homes. You don't have to saddle yourself with a terrible animal to save a life. There are some really nice dogs that deserve a good home.

I would like to stick with some good breeding and a stable personality for my next horse. I'm thinking a little bigger but I think you were saying on one of the driving threads way back when that stepping up to bigger is a lot more horse. My guy is so tiny, I certainly wouldn't want to go too much bigger. I'm thinking in the 32-34 inch range. Depends on the horse.

I may have to drive out of state to get my next horse. I really don't want to get another horse before we finish the cross fencing. I want them to have a couple of acres to run around on. Of course, we have virtually no grazing here in our desert but a little room to romp would be nice for them. Everything takes time:)

Latest posts

Back