I'm so mad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Yesterday we spent almost all day working out in the arena behind the horse pen. We fed the horses lunch, then left. At nearly 9 pm, we went back to feed dinner. It's pretty dark out there, so we have only a flashlight. When we were almost ready to leave, I happened to notice that one of the gates was open, and this happened to be a gate that is never left opened. Since it is closed with a latch, I figured maybe one of the horses miraculously opened it. So I go in and try to see if they chewed on any of the wood that is in there. Shining my flashlight around, I noticed a pair of shoe prints. Now, I am always really observant around the horse pen and it has become a habit of mine to check for dog prints. I could explain everyone in my family's shoe prints, along with several other people who visit them on occasion. These prints were new to me. I followed them around as much as possible in the dark, and they exited that gate, and went right into the corner of the horsepen. That was it. I couldn't tell exactly how they got into the pen, until this morning when the sun came up. I was out there first thing, and as my husband and I were looking around, we noticed that they led right out another gate, and into the arena. When we opened that gate, we noticed there was another set of prints too. So we followed them, and by the looks of it, they jumped the very back fence (which has barb wire on top of it), came through the arena up to that one gate which is fairly hard to see, then one person entered the first pen (where the horses can't get into), then unlatched the latch, and entered the horse pen. They then left, leaving that gate open so the horses could get into the pen they aren't supposed to, closed the gate that lead to the arena and went back out the way they came.

I am soooo furious. They could easily see the horses from the outside of the pen, without having to enter private property. BUT the horses are hard to see from any roadway, unless you happen to walk by the yard to begin with. The nerve of some people!!!!!!! And even worse yet, I don't know what their intentions were, and being so close to Christmas, I fear that they may have been looking for a very special gift for a child, and may be back. Anything could have happened, the horses could have been stolen, gotten out into the arena and gotten hurt or ate the weeds and gotten sick. Why can't people respect others and their property? I board my horses at my neighbor's house, and she told me that she didnt give permission for anyone to see the horses, and if she had, it would not have been by jumping her back fence. I just don't know what to do, I feel scared, mad, violated....

We put padlocks on every single entry way possible, but I realize that if someone wants in bad enough, nothing will stop them. It would be really easy to just cut their way through the cattle panels. Now I am trying to think of ways I can put up something to deter them from entering the property again. Any ideas that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sara -

I would be furious, too! I was having a problem with people coming over to "see the horses" - I don't mind if I'm home or if they ask, but I don't like people coming onto my property without permission - especially if I'm not home. I don't know your set up, but I put up a privacy panel so that people from the street cannot see the horses. I also have padlocks on all my gates, and set up motion detectors in back so that if anyone is near the horses area, the flood lights automatically go on.

There's also the guard dog, which does wonders! :bgrin

Good luck, and (side note) happy holidays to you -

Liz R.

Hot wire on the fence they are climbing over to get on property. Can use solar panel to run it.Warning signs and if possible motion dectector lights.

Not to sound like a ditz, but solar panel means no electricity, right? Since it's in my neighbors yard, I have no idea where her electricity boxes, plugs or anything else is.

I hear your anger! ............... Last year at the far back of our property someone cut all four fences of ours so that an exit could be made from one end of the property to exit out of the other end .. The fences were cut down to the ground & wire cutters were used....... I am always checking our fences & narrowed it down to three days/nights......... I made a sign that reads " I shoot at anything that I feel may harm my animals".

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is why I have Anatolians.... :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Robin

And this is why I have Anatolians.... :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Robin
I'm glad to hear that Robin because we have a 3mo old pup and he is already barking at strange things in "his" pastures.

I also think hotwire and motion sensor lights are a good idea although I'm not sure how feasible that would be for you on someone else's property. It does sound like your neighbor is concerned too though. That is a scary situation to be in as we have heard enough stories here about horses being stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here's a couple pictures of the set-up. Sorry the scenery is so ugly, but it's the desert.
default_sad.png

This is from their pen to the road side. If you do catch a glimpse of them from this street, they look more like goats. You can't tell they are horses, unless you already know.

DSC03053.jpg

This is the little pen I was talking about. It has a gate at the very right hand corner of it, which they came through, and then the TALL gate coming towards me, is the one they left open. The horses aren't allowed in there because the wood is unprotected, and they are big time chewers.

DSC03054.jpg

This is their pen from a different angle. You can see both gates that lead to the arena. The one on the left (by the brown run-in), the people didn't even go upto. They chose the one on the right (very edge of the picture) instead.

DSC03056.jpg

This is their arena. The people walked ALL the way acrossed it, to the exact point where I took the picture.

DSC03062.jpg

And this is the area they jumped over. There were lots of weeds at that corner, which bothers me even more, because they were so determined they didn't care about them.

DSC03063.jpg

default_sad.png
I wish I could have a dog back there. But the elderly woman who owns the property isn't thrilled about having another dog there (her dobbie passed away a few years ago). Also, this is the back of her property, so a vehicle would never be noticed. I am thinking about solar flood lights that are motion sensored and have a siren that alarms. Home Depot sales them for $80. Also, maybe more barb wire at the top of the arena fencing.

B*gger the barbed wire- get hotwire and plug it into the MAINS!!!!

Crank it way up and you won't need Christmas Lights, their baubles glowing in the dark will make a really pretty sight!!!

Hmm posted and it disappeared..

I have security cameras around wtih sound so I can hear in the places I cant see I know it isnt your property to put up cameras but what about a few signs saying you are being videotaped and a few "fake" cameras placed others here have said the fake ones are not expensive at all

Well my husband and I just came back from investigating more. I had to leave earlier to go and get a solar motion sensor (which turns out, needs 3 days to juice up :no: ) and as I pulled in my driveway, I noticed a plastic bouquet of flowers right where I park my car. I have been driving my husband's car, so no telling how long the flowers have been under mine. When I opened my car door to step out, I noticed the same pair of shoe prints that were the "Second Pair" back at the horses. My heart must have stopped because all of a sudden I felt really upset. We have a little driveway that goes behind my house (on our left). The horses are kept at our neighbor's on the right. So my husband and I followed the prints, which started at the road, went right up to my car, and then along our fenceline right next to my back yard and then behind it. It's as if they were teasing the dogs or looking over the wooden fence.

So my husband and I went back to the arena and followed the prints again. We realized that the two people both jumped the fence in different places to get in, and both places were on the side where the driveway is. So apparently, they walked back there scoping different areas, and then came right back out the same driveway. We had initially thought they had cut through the desert. I took pictures of the shoe marks in the arena and compaired them to the prints on the side of our house. Sure enough they matched to a T.

I don't know if I am relieved, or even more paranoid. Now I think that the horses might not have been their main focus and more of a game, but that would mean that they were looking for something else...maybe to break into somewhere or something. All I know is, we'll be letting our dog sleep outside for now on, and the horses will be locked in their stall area at night. We are also buying a baby monitor, and another solar sensor light, and will be looking into Hot Wire, as soon as the feed store opens up on Tuesday. That is where I buy it right???? Anyways, thank you all for your advice. I will be posting warning signs as well.

I can appreciate your anger - it is such an intrusion into your private space - I agree with about the anaotlian - Ours has a dog door into the house and he is practically nocturnal roaming and guarding at night. He comes in for breakfast and then goes to bed. (on the white leather couches of course!) Put up a sign that says Beware Mad Horse Owner Trespassers Enter at their own risk! and put something of a double barrel OO right next to it! Another thought is the motion sensor lights - you can find those at any of the big hardware stores. Hook them to your house and looking toward the driveway. Or Or - this could be fun - those water sprayers that are meant to keep dogs and deer out gardens - most of the online garden supply places carry them - a light could go on and they'd get drenched! Some folks buy out of service police cars and park them in their drivewys. they don't have to run, just look like they could. Anyway - stay safe. Before the anatolian we had kids let a mare into the stallions pen several times - enough that I had to break the news to Margie - who owned her - that she was expecting a foal. naughty boys!

Stay out there for the next couple of nights and get your sherriff to patrol there. I think they are planning to steal your horses for a Christmas present and they need to be caught by you and hubby now before something else happens. They will surely be back and soon.

Also enlist the use of cow bells. My boys are great at booby traps of all sorts. Put some cow bells along the fencline on a trip wire.

COWBELLS! :aktion033: GREAT IDEA!!!

And now, if you could figure out a way to connect the Cow Bells to the Motion Detector Lights? You'd be all set!!!

MA

I hear your anger! ............... Last year at the far back of our property someone cut all four fences of ours so that an exit could be made from one end of the property to exit out of the other end .. The fences were cut down to the ground & wire cutters were used....... I am always checking our fences & narrowed it down to three days/nights......... I made a sign that reads " I shoot at anything that I feel may harm my animals".
Yup, I have gotten very good with my 20 gauge shotgun...and I have lots of electric fence tape that packs a good jolt. Bridget and Quinn are also good deterrents... Quinn is a big 90 lb Lab and Bridget is a 70 lb German Shorthaired Pointer and if anyone I don't know comes to the house, I let them out. Most folks do not get out of their cars. :bgrin

Then again, most folks do not want to make the trek up my driveway and our neighbors are good about telling us if they see anything odd... .
default_yes.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

I once had a problem with a neibors cats[ they had about 20 ] I used a motion sensor to turn on our sprinklers .no more cats in our yard. If your horses are close enough to hear them Id hook up a sensor to a loud horn .no theif wants a horn blaring at them. just be shure that your own horses cant trip the horn. good luck. DR.

B*gger the barbed wire- get hotwire and plug it into the MAINS!!!!

Crank it way up and you won't need Christmas Lights, their baubles glowing in the dark will make a really pretty sight!!!
:aktion033: :new_rofl: Oh, my gosh, rabbits!!!!! I read this to my mom on the phone and we were both laughing hysterically!! I do agree!! I would love to see it when they actually tried to climb over!

Well my husband and I just came back from investigating more. I had to leave earlier to go and get a solar motion sensor (which turns out, needs 3 days to juice up :no: ) and as I pulled in my driveway, I noticed a plastic bouquet of flowers right where I park my car. I have been driving my husband's car, so no telling how long the flowers have been under mine. When I opened my car door to step out, I noticed the same pair of shoe prints that were the "Second Pair" back at the horses. My heart must have stopped because all of a sudden I felt really upset. We have a little driveway that goes behind my house (on our left). The horses are kept at our neighbor's on the right. So my husband and I followed the prints, which started at the road, went right up to my car, and then along our fenceline right next to my back yard and then behind it. It's as if they were teasing the dogs or looking over the wooden fence.

So my husband and I went back to the arena and followed the prints again. We realized that the two people both jumped the fence in different places to get in, and both places were on the side where the driveway is. So apparently, they walked back there scoping different areas, and then came right back out the same driveway. We had initially thought they had cut through the desert. I took pictures of the shoe marks in the arena and compaired them to the prints on the side of our house. Sure enough they matched to a T.

I don't know if I am relieved, or even more paranoid. Now I think that the horses might not have been their main focus and more of a game, but that would mean that they were looking for something else...maybe to break into somewhere or something. All I know is, we'll be letting our dog sleep outside for now on, and the horses will be locked in their stall area at night. We are also buying a baby monitor, and another solar sensor light, and will be looking into Hot Wire, as soon as the feed store opens up on Tuesday. That is where I buy it right???? Anyways, thank you all for your advice. I will be posting warning signs as well.
Yup, at the feed store. Follow Rabbits directions to a T and don't substitute anything!! LOL. Make sure on your hotwire that you keep the area around the pole that your ground wire will attatch to, real wet.

Keep us posted with updates. The baby monitor is a great idea for being able to at least hear things when you are unable to see. Also it may be great to hear the squalling when the idiots grab hold of that hotwire. I hope all goes well and your little guys stay safe. Good thing you guys are so alert and observant!!

Ok, we want video of their 'return trip', hahahahahaha

Oh yeah, Rabbits, I thought I was going to cry I was laughing so hard- I get visuals very easily and sure got one on that.... perhaps you could hook it all up to also play the song 'You Light Up My Life'!!!! :new_shocked:

THIS is exactly why I got a network security camera! I am so paranoid about someone stealing one of my mini's while I am away at work or sleeping. The camera also will double as a mare stare camera some day =)

I researched through tons of security camera's and this is the BEST one! It is of course much cheaper on ebay...lol...

Sony Network Security Cam Specs

This is just general specs on it, you can find it at many other online stores.

I like it because it is in COLOR, you can set it up to run full time or for motion detection and it'll send the photo's to your e-mail - set up full time you can check on your horses from ANY computer at ANY location - work, friends, library, etc...it also has infrared night vision, and sound! It is weather/waterproof for outdoors, and up to 30 FPS (frames per second - high speed internet) which is like real-time movie, no gliches or waiting a minute for a new photo to load.

Mine is getting set up when I move Feb. 1st so i'll be able to watch my little ones from work! I can't wait! Well worth every penny =)

Latest posts

Back