I'm so excited!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiterbug

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with someone about a miniature horse. We are going to go look at him tomorrow. I hope he is everything she says because he sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I can't help it. I feel like the kid on the Disney Word commercial. I have read a couple of books. I know I need more info., I've got the transportation figured out, but I still have one more thing that I don't quite understand. I've seen posts on here about the different kinds of hay. I've also noticed the difference in hay that I give my goats. This last type of hay that I bought is a lot darker green than the first batch I had and it has stems like in it. I think they told me it was Alfalfa Hay. Does this sound right? Anyway, is this something a horse would want, with goats it really doesn't matter because they eat anything.

Any advice on hay?

jiterbug

Well, my goat won't eat just anything. If the alfalfa is very leafy and has fine stems it should be fine. However, you should ask the current owner of the horse what type of hay he is currently eating and try to get the same kind. You might ask her where she got it. Our first mare they included a bale of hay with her. That way they knew she was going to have enough hay to make a change slowly since I could not get the same type of grass hay she had.

What you are describing is Alfalfa hay. The first cutting is pretty coarse and many Mini's just do not like it, the second cutting is better and the 3rd or 4th cutting are best, where the stalks are much more fine.

I do agree that you need to get at least 1 bale from the person you are buying your horse from and mixed that with your hay to give him a chance to get used to the new hay.

I like grass hay better. You usually don't get into as much trouble with it as far as belly aches and stuff. It just depends on what you plan on doing. Alfalfa is considered very hot and if you don't plan on working your mini or showing them I would consider something less nutrient dense. And I would definitely try to get some hay from the owner if you do decide to buy him. It will make the transition so much easier on him. Let us know how it goes tomorrow!!!! Good luck!

Yeah, I agree. Try and get the same hay the horse is use to eating. Then slowly change them over to what you feed. I never feed straight alfalfa hay. Too hot. I feed a great alfalfa/grass mix and alot of people feed just grass hay. We have found that they do love triticaly (sp?) hay too and its not hot.
default_smile.png

Good luck and congrats! Minis are so much fun!
default_aktion033.gif

[What does grass hay look like? How can you tell which cutting it is?

jiterbug

quote name=Keri' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:18 PM' post='964704]

Yeah, I agree. Try and get the same hay the horse is use to eating. Then slowly change them over to what you feed. I never feed straight alfalfa hay. Too hot. I feed a great alfalfa/grass mix and alot of people feed just grass hay. We have found that they do love triticaly (sp?) hay too and its not hot.
default_smile.png

Good luck and congrats! Minis are so much fun!
default_aktion033.gif

There are a lot of different types of grass hay. It is usually a lot lighter in color then alfalfa. There are some good grass/alfalfa mixes too. If you go to your local feed store I'm sure they can help you decide which hay will be best. Every area has different types of hay available.

I also use a grass hay for my minis. I don't show or anything, so I don't need any other type of hay for them.

And welcome to the world of miniature horses! They are awesome! And, I don't know if anyone has told you this yet or not, but they are a lot like potato chips, you can't have just one! They are very addicting!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also feed grass hay (orchard grass). I feed that and complete senior pellets to all my horses -- the show ones as well as the stay at home ones
default_yes.gif

[Well, we went this morning and met the most amazing mini in the world. He is 7 years old, 39" and has the sweetest personality ever. He is so mellow. He allowed my 7 y.o. daughter to saddle him, lift his hoof, ride him and everything. My 6 y.o. son lead him with no problem. When my daughter got on him the owner was busy trying to adjust the stirrups to fit her and he fell asleep! After lovin on him a few minutes he even followed me around. I will be picking him up next Sunday!\

My grouchy husband even liked him.

jiterbug

quote name=Jill' date='Feb 2 2008, 06:48 AM' post='964807]

I also feed grass hay (orchard grass). I feed that and complete senior pellets to all my horses -- the show ones as well as the stay at home ones
default_yes.gif

Congrats -- sounds like you found a good addition to the family
default_smile.png

I'll post pictures after I bring him home. I can't wait!

jiterbug

You do realize that at 39" he is a pony, not a mini, don't you?

I dodn't want to burst your bubble, but if it is important to have a mini, he doesn't qualify.

Congrats Youll have sooo much fun with him!

You do realize that at 39" he is a pony, not a mini, don't you?

I dodn't want to burst your bubble, but if it is important to have a mini, he doesn't qualify.
Thats what I was going to coment on, also.

If you are wanting this equine for a child to ride you are MUCH better off with a pony than a mini, anyway. Can't wait to see pics!!

ahhhh 30" or 40" :DOH! All that matters is that you liked him
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Plus if your wanting your kids to ride him you don't want a real small one. Congrats again!!! I am very excited for you
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

Wow! I guess he's not a mini is he!!!! Oh well, we love him. My daughter keeps saying "how many more wake ups till we get thunder"?

jiterbug

Back