I'm confused

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penny

Reaction score
We're getting an AMHR/ASPC registered horse...he is 35"...Is he considered more a shetland or a mini? What do I tell people when they ask what he is?

Are ALL minis considered shetlands except for the sizes?

I did fine with the AMHR/AMHA until they threw shetlands into the mix...

The American Shetland Pony Club (ASPC) is a breed registry. They are the ones that started it all. Then they came up with the American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR) and its only a height registry. Basiclly what you have is a shetland pony that is small enough to be registered as a miniature. Thats why you hear the term miniature shetlands for AMHR/ASPC ponies.

Your horse is BOTH a Shetland Pony AND a Miniature Horse. Plain and simple.

Just as an AMHA/AMHR miniature can show in both AMHA as WELL as AMHR shows. .

Do you know what a Venn diagram is? If so... some miniature horses can be Shetlands, and some Shetlands can be minis, but not all minis can be shetlands and not all shetlands can be minis. However, it only works one way in that a Shetland can become a registered miniature horse, but a miniature horse can never become a registered Shetland unless it has two Shetland parents.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrea stated it correctly. However, not all miniature horses come from just shetland ponies. Otherwise, there would be appaloosa shetlands.

This is something I've wondered about for awhile. i have 2 horses that have the same sire who is AMHR/ASPC registered. but I think their dams (different mares) are only AMHR. Can my horses be registered ASPC, if only their sire is? My mare is 37in and my gelding is 39in. I would esp love to register him, as I want to show him in the future, but can't register him as a mini.What about hardship?

You cannot hardship into ASPC only into AMHR. Both parents must be APSC registered to have a ASPC foal. For your gelding there is the National Show Pony Registry. You must have atleast 1 ASPC and/or AMHR parent and you have to DNA them.

Thanks everyone!!! No, I don't know what a Venn diagram is...Had horses most of my life but this is the first time we've bought a miniature show horse...and the mix of shetland/AMHR was confusing to me...still is, sorta...Guess I've got a lot to learn!

Latest posts

Back