I'm a terrible procrastinator

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
This is what I do when it is midquarter and I have a stack of papers to grade and enter into the online grading system. he he
default_smile.png

I wrote this today. It got kind of long and I don't blame you if you don't make it through, thought some of you might like it.

Little Star's Big Save

The forgotten little pony shivered as the wind swept over the hill. Good thing he had a thick winter coat to keep him warm as he had no place to get out of the weather. His feet hurt as he stumbled around on overgrown hooves. It was hard to walk with the snow balled up in his hooves. He slipped and slid on the snow as he tried to find a bit of grass here and there through the white stuff. Every now and then he could hear a cow’s mournful moo and he wished he could just visit with them for a minute. Anyone to talk to would be nice. He sure missed his momma. He hadn’t had very long with her, but he could never forget those warm eyes and comforting kisses. It had been so long since he had another friend to stand with and pass the time.

The sun slipped over the horizon and he stumbled to the gate. Soon the old man would bring him a bite of hay. That hay would taste so good and would help warm him through the night. This was his favorite time of day. He flipped his head, and a mane and forelock choked with burdocks clunked against his head and neck. He staggered to the fence, dragging his matted tail behind him. He waited at the fence, and waited, even whinnying once to remind them all he was there. But no one came this cold night. Then the rain started to fall.

This wasn’t the pleasant cooling rain of summer. It was the bitter, biting rain of late fall. Each drop soaking through his warm coat until it was drenched and heavy against his skin. The wind continued and it mercilessly beat against his shivering body. With each freezing blast his head drooped, until his nose nearly touched the ground. He watched through squinted eyes as the lights in the house clicked off one by one and he knew that no hay would be coming this night. Hoping that maybe if he made himself closer to the ground the wind would hit him less, he flopped to the ground and curled his long, misshapen hooves beneath him.

As shivers wracked his little body he tried to remember warmer, happier times when the grass would be growing and warm breezes would ruffle his free flowing mane. Those times were so long ago it seemed. Just then he felt a warm breeze sweep over him and a small, palomino pony appeared before him. She seemed to be giving off the warmth and she had a strange hazy glow about her. She reached down her nose and breathed a soft breath upon his upturned face and he felt a new feeling spread through him. “Go to sleep tonight, little Thunder. Tomorrow I am sending my family to see you. I promise you that this will be the last night you sleep upon the cold earth and that your heart will know the love and companionship that family brings. But this reward comes at a price. They will shower you with all the love that they have and in payment you must treat the family with respect and kindness. Take care of the young ones because they are, were, my girls. They need a little friend to listen to their problems and teach them how to be horse owners. If you can accept this responsibility, I will make sure that the family takes you home tomorrow.â€

Thunder listened to all of this as hope blossomed and grew in his chest. He nodded his little silver head in eager agreement to the other pony’s plan and he shivered again, this time in excitement. As the other pony faded and dimmed with her warm brown eyes gazing into his, the rain stopped and the wind lost its fierceness. A voice came as if on the breath of the last gust, “Tell the little ones that Little Star sent you.†Now Thunder could make it through another night as he had hope in his chest to keep him warm.

The next morning came and time seemed to drag by. He continued to stagger around his pen, trying not to trip over the jagged barbed wire strewn about, or the broken pieces of machinery that littered his pen. The sun was at its peak, well as high up as it gets at noon on a northern fall day, and now Thunder was becoming worried. Maybe it had all been a dream. He was so worried he never heard the sound of the strange pickup and rattling trailer pulling into the driveway. But he did hear a voice a few minutes later call out, “Pony! Are you in there?†Even though it was a strange voice, he knew that it was the family that Little Star had sent. He shuffled up the slippery hill as fast as his snow packed feet would take them. He heard the lady’s sharp intake of breath when she saw him and he tried to look his proudest. He was so embarrassed at his messy appearance, but he carried himself with as much dignity as he could muster all the way to the gate. She reached her hand over and he stretched his tiny muzzle up to lick her hand. The next thing Thunder knew the woman was beside him and a man had joined her. They were both rubbing their hands and scratching him in all the right places. The man that was supposed to bring the hay came up and as a group they started talking. Thunder tried to listen but the hands kept rubbing and it felt so good he lost himself in the pure joy of it. Before he knew it they had clipped a lead rope on that choking halter and out the gate he went. The last time he had been out of the gate, people had chased and thrown things at him until he finally went back in. But not this time. The lady kept a reassuring hand on his back as he was led to a funny green box. The man opened the door and told him to get in. Thunder wasn’t too sure about this. It was dark and scary in there and it sure made a lot of noise. Then the lady gave him some little brown things in a bucket and wow, were they ever good. The man took them in the green box so Thunder thought he had better get in there if he wanted more. As he enjoyed those little kernels of joy the loud metal door clanged shut behind him and it got suddenly dark. He started to get very afraid, and then remembered Little Star’s words. She had said it would be okay, so he relaxed.

The big green box started moving and a few minutes later it stopped. Thunder was asked to come back out and he did. It was still so hard to walk. This place was strange and he didn’t see any children here at all. The man took off that choking halter and instead a shiny, new, comfortable one was placed upon him. The lady asked him to follow her so he did. Another strange man came to him with some sort of tool. He kept picking up Thunder’s feet and doing strange things to him. The feeling was so weird and the noise kind of hurt Thunder’s ears, but when the strange man put Thunder’s feet down they felt so good. He could stand evenly again and it wasn’t hard to walk at all. He almost danced back to the green box. He jumped back in as this was going better than he ever imagined. The next journey was even shorter and he was again led out of the green box.

Thunder stepped down at his new home and was immediately greeted by welcoming nickers and whinnies. He was so excited to see all the other horses and ponies at his new home. The lady was greeted by two smiling, giggling little girls who rubbed him and hugged him tightly around the neck. His eyes glittered with happiness. The lady and girls picked out every one of the dreaded burdocks and he finally was able to flip his mane and tail pain free. He felt amazingly wonderful, better than he had in years. He was given a big pile of fresh hay and a big bucket of fresh water. He couldn’t contain the joy that was seeping throughout him. He was introduced to a big black pony named Shadow and a smaller gold pony named, Goldie. They had been Little Star’s friends and were happy to have someone new to share their home with. He quickly learned from them that many of the horses and ponies on this farm had been unwanted or not cared for when they came. They reassured him that he would have a happy, safe life here with them and for that he was grateful. That night as he lay curled in the straw of his new warm stall he dreamt again of Little Star. The tiny golden pony reminded him to keep up his end of the bargain. A single tear fell from her eye as she told Thunder how she had been called away and was entrusting her girls to him. He promised to take care of the little ones and her warm brown eyes smiled at him. As he awoke he gave himself a good shake and realized that he was looking forward to a new day, something he hadn’t been able to do for such a long time. Today was a new day and there were many more bright new days ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, I can't see for the tears. This needs to be kept somewhere special here.

Where's the tissue, I need 3 of them please. What a heart wrenching story. I couldn't help but think about so many horses that really live that life and not get the wonderful, happy ending that Thunder got.

Thank you for sharing.

~Karen

I enjoyed reading your story it brought tears to my eyes. Thank You for sharing.

What a wonderful story! It brought tears to my eyes. What a happy ending. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Tammie~

Thank you so much everyone. Writing is healing for me. This story is actually the second in the "Little Star" series. The first was called, "We Shall Be As One". If you will indulge me, I'll post that one too. It is quite a bit shorter, he he
default_smile.png
Someday when I know something, ha, I will send them in to a publisher. To see them in print would be like a dream come true! I printed the first story on several pages and Libby is "illustrating" the story for me. It is such a nice way to remember our girl.

Someone asked what happens next in Thunder's story? He wears a saddle! ;)

6708834_1024.ts1165277378390.jpg

We Shall Be As One

The old, palomino pony slowly climbed the rainbow bridge and as she reached the crest she felt the pain melting away from her limbs. Her eyes became clearer, her breathing easier and the swelling left her body. She felt the life and vitality returning to her tiny body as she descended from the bridge onto the soft clouds. A wild field spread before her of lush green grass, speckled with a beautiful array of colorful flowers. Grazing upon the field were horses of every color and size. As her feet touched the softness she realized that she felt youthful and vibrant again, more so than she had felt in many years. She kicked up her heels and started to join the herd of her hooved friends that had joined her at the foot of the bridge. In a sudden panic she stopped and turned back to the bridge.

“What is troubling you, Little Star?†asked a wind, ruffled horse she recognized as her old friend, Thor. She noticed that he too looked like a younger, more energetic version of the Thor she had known.

“I forgot them, I left them. There is a little girl back there who needs me. She cried in my mane and told me she would miss me. I can’t leave her now. She will be too sad. And the other little girl, her mom was counting on me to teach her so much. My job there is not done.†Little Star’s eyes were troubled as she remembered the blond hairs buried amongst her flaxen ones as the little girl had sobbed over her leaving.

Thor rumbled a reassuring nicker. “Little Star, you cannot go back. This is your home now. That little girl will come to realize that you hurt too much to stay with her and she will know that you will be together again. The family will heal in knowing that you are here with us.†Little Star felt her heart twinge with the pain of losing her young friends.

“But what about Goldie, and Shadow? They need me too. Goldie and I have been friends forever, we can’t stand to be apart. He needs me to be his eyes and his comfort. And who will put Shadow in her place and remind her that she isn’t the queen? She can get very high and mighty you know.†Little Star took a step towards the bridge.

Thor, in his ever patient wisdom, stepped between her and the bridge. “Little Star, it is time you let go. That world will go on without you and time will pass. Goldie will one day join us, as will Shadow and all of your other earthly friends. Until they are here with us they have their family and friends to take care of them. Your job is over, your time of work is done. Come now, there are so many waiting for you. It is not fair to keep them waiting.†With a gentle nudge he turned Little Star and she was greeted warmly by all of her friends and family from the past. She felt herself being pulled into the group and loving hands and muzzles brushed away any lingering traces of the old world. As she moved away from the bridge she turned back one last time and with a wistful shake of her head, cantered away to join her new herd.

Many years passed, and as Thor predicted she was joined by old acquaintances again and again. She never stopped marveling at the change in her friends as they crossed the bridge and their worries and pains were stripped from them. Little Star anxiously watched the bridge for one certain visitor. She grazed even though she didn’t feel hunger anymore, she drank from the cool water, even though she didn’t feel thirst. She frolicked and pranced, rolled and slept. Everything was peaceful and perfect. Except that nagging feeling that something was missing from this paradise.

Then one day a stir was created among the herd. Whispers and knickers of, “she’s coming,†swept across the meadow. Little Star felt it deep within, too. Someone important was coming. She pushed and jostled her way through the crowd of four legged friends to the base of the bridge and watched in astonishment as old woman began her journey up the bridge. As she neared the peak of the bridge the years began to melt away and the young woman straighted up and stretched her arms to the sky in pure freedom of movement. She ran down the descent of the bridge and tumbled into the softness at the bottom. She lay there, breathing deeply the fresh, life giving air with her eyes closed and her mouth curved up in a smile.

Little Star recognized her young friend immediately and rushed forward to breathe a gentle breath upon her face and nuzzle her softly against the shoulder. Young Libby opened her eyes and the first face to greet her on the other side of the rainbow bridge was her beautiful pony from her childhood. She flung her arms around Little Star’s neck and whispered softly so only she could hear, “Little Star, how I’ve missed you so. I knew we would be together again and now, NOW we shall be as one my friend.†Little Star made way for the other animals to greet the young woman and then the two of them headed off to enjoy the comfort that this paradise had to offer.

OMG 3 tissues phooey, i need a WHOLE BOX! i just know these stories are true... and you have such a way with words! awesome, can't wait for the next installment!!

reading these brings back our experiences with Wilbur, Maggie, and Trace especially, and all the rest of the rescues... Maggie is still with us and Trace successfully adopted out, and i still miss him so much... but by the time we got Wilbur, even though we tried, it was too late for him physically to be able to help him. I still bawl like a baby every time i look at his pictures or re-read his story. he was truly an awesome soul and we were blessed to ease his last days.

I wrote this for Wilbur after we had to put him down:

Wilbur, we can only hope that the love and care you had during the last few months of your life can somehow offset the abuse and neglect of the preceding years, and that when you cross the Rainbow Bridge and run pain-free across the lush green grass, you can forget the bad people and the bad times, and your memories will be of Wayne's calm patience; Lindsey finding that special scratching place on your neck; Susan biting carrots into little pieces for you to convince you to try them; apples and raisins and treats offered by hands that then stroked and scratched and patted and rubbed; and kind voices that soothed your fears.

As for us, we will never forget you - not the horror we felt at first seeing your condition; the butterflies we felt as we drove home with you; the concern that we would be able to handle your care; the determination to make your life better; the hope that we could help you reach a point where your pain would be gone; the relief when your prognosis looked good; the lessons you taught us of patience and perseverance while we worked on your fear and tried different ways to get you to take your medicine, accept treats, and let us handle your legs; the thrill when you first called out to us; the joy of watching you bloom as you grew more comfortable with humans every day; and the despair of discovering that we could not, after all, make things right for you. We thank you for your trust and we promise that your story will continue to be told with the hope that seeing what was done to you will spur people to action when they see other animals being mistreated, neglected and abused.

You take with you a piece of my heart, and leave behind tears that will, from time to time, continue to water that green grass upon which you now run and play.

Ohhhh, you all have me crying. It's sad to think that some people have such cold hearts to abuse and neglect any of Gods creatures. My heart crys for them all. :~(

~Karen

I didn't realize you had posted another installment. You got me again too.....tears flowing!!! Lovely stories!! Thank you for posting them and I sincerely hope you do get them published one day!!!

Back