I'm a little bit cross!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally

Reaction score
I have two rather nice mares, who I was waiting to put to an extremely well bred, proven stallion later on this month!....been doing a spot of shopping............

They have been in a particular field now for about 5 weeks with another two large mares and a gelding.

Someone has put a rather weedy, not particularly well put together (to say the least) colt in a field nearby.

You guessed it! got a phone call from a neighbour telling me that we had a visitor running wild with my mares! I went and got him out and put him back where he was supposed to be, but not until the damage was done.

I am slightly cross, and will now have to get the vet out to get both mares injected.

Who'd send the vet bill to the owner of the colt, and who'd just shut up and put up?

I removed the mares and put a recently castrated (last year) gelding (full sized horse) in the field, he wil not tollerate a whipper-snapper of a colt about!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, that's what I was thinking. If my mare had jumped over into his field, I'd just have to shrug and put it down to experience.

I make a point of NEVER putting a stallion or entire next to anyone's field with their horses in it. OR I'd, at least, phone them and ask what they had in there if it mattered if the colts got in.

default_yes.gif
: Tough one for sure. Personally I would think that it would be both of your responsiblity to make sure there was a fence on the pasture line that would hold the others horses in/out

My stallion is next to the neighbors full size QH mare and aged gelding. She always hangs by my fence line when she is in but the fence is made so that she cant get out and he cant get ummm any parts to her
default_yes.gif
:

knowing most people when it comes to parting with cash, id say that the owner will probably say you fence was too low. :eek: hopefully he will step up to the plate though and open his well prized wallet.....what a dissapointment for you, lets hope it all turns out okay
default_yes.gif
:

Just found out he did the same to another neighbour, he doesn't seem to think it's his responsability to keep his horses under control.

I had no idea he had the use of the field, and that he was going to put entires in there, had I known I wouldn't have put my mares in there.

Where I live the owner of the stallion is responsible for any damage that horse does and that includes going and breeding another mare. They also are supposed to be (although not everyone does this) kept secure with certain fencing at minimum height requirements.

I would try talking to him and giving him maybe 3/4 of the billl or maybe the whole bill? Oh I don't know. Really sorry to hear that's happened to you though.

i had another friend this happened to few years ago and they sued and won in small claims court. they said the burden in a shared fence is usually on the stallion owner to keep them contained. I guess because they are the ones that can impregnate the mares??

Personally, I would probably send the bill to the owner of the stud... especially if he thinks that it isn't his duty to keep his stud under control! Good luck with everything and I hope things turn out alright for you and your mares!

Latest posts

Back