Colic/Respiratory Infection/Colitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!! Get her on Ulcer Guard. My filly is diagnosed with colitis and she has normal poop now, but my vet has her on Ulcer guard and told me to get the U Gard pellets, which I have on order. She is also on Timothy Pellets only to give her gut a rest from the hay. It's something about the fermentation of the hay as she is digesting. He found thru a fecal sample.

I did not listen to the people on the forum about ulcers until it was almost too late and she almost died. Now I know all about ulcers and my filly is getting better. It's a long road though.

PLEASE listen !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as I said in post #19 of this thread, I have ulcer meds on the way.

She continues to improve with appetite and attitude. It's always nice to see an animal start to be difficult to give meds to when they've been sick for so long.

I left a message with my vet yesterday, but didn't hear back yet. I will call today and find out what sort of plan he has for her from here out. I honestly don't think he expected her to make it.

Robin

I can't really say if she's over this hump or not. She's only pooped out one turd today, so that worries me. She's still pawing and laying down more than I like, but is eating some and drinking and peeing normally.

It's a challenge to get her to eat the Psyllium pellets. Tomorrow I'm going to try adding applesauce as recommended by the vet that gave me the homeopathic remedies. Looks like people have also used generic Metamucil?

She's still on:

Ulcer meds 1x day

KLPP (probiotic) 3x day

Aloe Socotrina 4x day

Pyrogenium 2x day

She has not been rolling anymore, nor laying on her back like in the photo I posted.

Robin

JMO ! Do not over feed on the psyllium, it can also plug them up. Make sure she is getting the proper dose of the ulcer meds. I recommend Ulcer Guard paste, not sure what you are using.

You can try wetting her hay. They are for my filly but all my horses really like the timothy pellets, they are easy to digest and easy on the gut. Just some suggestions.

She was acting almost herself today - except for not pooping.
default_sad.png

She only got out something like 6 turds today. I haven't seen her straining and not having anything come out (like she was doing last week), but I did see her poop and only have 3 'apples' come out. They seemed pretty sandy.

I haven't gotten her to even eat one full dose of Psyllium yet. She will maybe eat half a dose before she looses interest. I did get so e generic Metamucil today and tried giving her maybe a teaspoon to see if she'd eat it and she did, so I may go that route.

The ulcer meds my vet shipped to me is called Gastro-Gard.

The farrier was here today and I had him check to see if she was showing any signs of founder (I was worried that was why she was spending so much time laying down), but he didn't find any.

Pray for normal poop!

The Ulcer Guard paste really seemed to do the trick with my filly.

Right now she gets Timothy pellets 3x a day, and once a day she gets 1t.corn oil, 1 T. psyllium, 1 T. U-Gard pellets, and her Northwest Supplement Mare and Foal. She is only 6 mos. old though. No Hay and No Grazing. She is feeling MUCH better. This diet is per my vet.

I hope you mare gets better SOON !!!!

Well, we thought she was going to make it, but she didn't. Even the vet thought she was going to pull through since she had hung on for so long.

Her ventral colon ruptured tonight and I held her sweet head in my lap and stroked her face as she died. It was awful.

The vet did a necropsy and found that she did have an impaction - sand. Black sand that I don't even have at my house, so he was thinking she had it in her since before I bought her in February. She had quite a bit of food backed up inside because of the sand. The vet was shocked at how much was in there and how she wasn't acting like she was under any distress. He's not even sure she would've made it through surgery because her ventral colon was very fragile and they would've had to do a lot more work on her insides than just removing the impaction.

She was an awesome little mare and I will miss her so much. She was only with me for 9 months, but she will definitely have a place in my heart forever.

I'm so very very sorry to hear your news. Sending you ((((HUGS))))

Oh no , I am so sorry, she fought so hard and so did you. You gave her so much love in such a short time.

I will be thinking of you.

default_sad.png

That is so sad.... I'm so sorry for you, you tried everything. It was really special you were there with her when she passed, you were brave. (((HUGS)))

Oh no, I'm so sorry.. how is your colt doing without mom around?

Jan

I am so sorry to hear this. Please check your hay if you feed it. Put it in a large container, like a wheelbarrow, and soak it making sure their is a lot of excess water. When you drain it, pull the hay from the water, then slowly pour off the water to see what is left at the bottom.

Again, I am so sorry to hear this, but I have come across this several years back when I purchased hay from a different farmer. I didn't realize it had the black sandy particles In it until I ran into a colic issue. I was shocked to see what came out of the hay when I rinsed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So very sorry you lost your little one but you tried very hard to save her and I'm sure she knew that. (((hugs)))

I am so sorry for your loss. You did all that you could for her and I am sure she knew you were there for her. She did give you a gift of a little colt that will carry a part of her for you to love.

Latest posts

Back