Harness Advice - Euro style Vs. Neck Collar?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Reaction score
I have been lurking but not signing in as I had forgotten my password and was too darned lazy to get a new one - obviously I found the motivation now. lol

I bought a pairs harness for my two ponies who are 34.5inches(gelding: Hercules Morse) and 36.5 inches(mare: Muffin McClay). I scrimped on it and bought something cheaper than my ideal. Needless to say, I was not overly happy with the cheaper harness and it end up costing me a mint in freight (and took 2.5mths!) plus buying extra pieces to try and get the fit right. Anyway, I decided to cut my losses and got for the pairs harness I really wanted...and should have got in the first place.

So I have put my deposit on a Chimacum Comfyfit Pairs harness, now the only thing I need to 'worry' about is what collar.

The line of draught for the intended vehicle will be down to axle height, so a brestcollar is not the right collar for the job. I am tossing up between collar and hames or the new Euro Style collar.

The other harness I bought had collar and hames which my ponies didnt seem to mind, although I would size each of them down an inch or two if I were buying collars again. What are peoples thoughts of the Euro Style collar? Do you think it looks to free the shoulder up as much as a neck collar?

My main driving will be trail or pleasure driving and club days with my carriage driving club. I *may* also occasionally dabble with show driving (at small shows in open harness classes, not mini classes) from time to time. Above all, comfort for my pair is the name of the game rather than conforming to any aesthetic guidelines/traditions for any particular discipline.

I keep comparing pics of collar and hames, euro collars and just can't seem to come to a conclusion so some more eyes and minds pondering the topic for me would be grand!

I will attach a few pics of my pair so you can see conformation and the fit of different styles of collar, they are not glamour shots, so be kind. Winter here so the fuzzies have arrived!

Pic 1: Muffin in Comfyfit Deluxe Collar. Pic 2: Hercules in same. Pic 3 Muffin in 14" neck collar (closest to camera) Pic 4: Hercules in 13: neck collar (closest to camera)

IMAG3451.jpg

IMAG2346.jpg

IMAG4518.jpg

IMAG4039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered the Euro collar for my new harness. I wanted something that seemed a little more versatile for my husbands pony. I can't wait to get it.

would love to hear how it fits and performs when you get it, if that isn't too much trouble for you.

I just ordered the harness and it will be a 3-5 week wait, a couple weeks longer I would assume since I'm in Canada for shipping.

Well Miss Jules..I wondered what happened to you. .I finally have Isaac in the cart and have been having the time of my life.
default_risa8.gif
:BananaHappy ..lol..I'm glad to see your doing well..I have wondered about the Euro collars also..I'm thinking about buying a Comfy fit harness next year..And I LOVE the pictures of you and the gang
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the euro collars and I like them but the feature I would like to see them work on is on top of the neck where the rings are. Its extremely padded everywhere but not so much at the top of the neck, unsure why its not at least a little padded. But with it being pretty wide its not going to dig into the neck, BUT, one thing I noticed after using it this weekend it does sort of dig into the neck at the back of it closer to the saddle, I think if it gave a slight groove it would help a lot. Other then that its nice, and I'll still use it, but IMO its not worth how much it costs. I use it for my chariot classes.

Thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what I was after. I have placed my order and in the end, deferred to Janie's experience. I said that I preferred the classic aesthetics of collar and hames but that I would take a Euro Collar over neck collar if we couldn't be sure of a proper fit....so I have no idea what will arrive in the post.

I had wondered about the neck part of the Euro, neck collar isn't flat and gives something to push into, but the Euro is flat in shape and I wondered mechanicaly if that affected how the horse used itself in the collar - argh I can't think of how to articulate what I mean.

Peggy! Hiiiiii! Are you on the book of face at all ;) lol Yay Isaac!!

No drinking, well I am sipping a hot chocolate before bed but don't think that makes me sillier than normal ;)lol

I didn't know if we were allowed to mention social networking sites or not, so that I could sty in more regular contact with you

The harness just arrived tonight! Here are some pictures right out of the box. Nothing has been adjusted yet so bear with me. It was getting late and the bugs were terrible. The collar is by comfy fit. It looks like it will adjust to fit her great! I can't wait to try her in it. Oh and the halter is still on, that's what I have the cross ties attached to and the bridle is not buckled on, just sitting there for the picture.

Happy Appy -

Thanks for sharing, kinda neat to see. Have you driven with that Euro collar yet? is it leather or beta? What size is your horse?

It's actually a combination of leather and Beta. I haven't even used it yet! We were hit with a heat way with the temps in the hundreds for the last week. We are under tornado watches now. This heat wave is supposed to break on Friday so we will see how the weekend shapes up!

Well I still love the collars! I have 2 and I can make them fit from 31 in to 12 hand pony size! I love them! I now am trying to figure out how I can use them as a pairs collar. I think all I need to do is add a ring on the front of the collar. Well one on each side I guess for the pole strap.

Latest posts

Back