Harness Advice - Euro style Vs. Neck Collar?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The collar will never go out of style, but I much prefer this over a breast style and I use this as a working harness so I don't have to get my fancy draft harness dirty.

That looks really good- it is amazing the difference in looks when it is "in draught"

argh annoying! I have tried to respond a few times but when I go to insert pics the whole shebang freezes and then I lose it. I shall attempt posting the photos before I go all nuts on the explanation

Okay the pics are of my two ponies (mare and gelding both pictured as left wheeler) on different days. I ended up going with the traditional neck collar in the end. I would still be interested in trying the Euro Collar though as I love innovation.

I have been really surprised with the neck collars, any concerns I had about them being too heavy on their necks have been blown out of the water as they work SO well in them as compared to a breastcollar.

The fit is as close as it can get. Ideally they could do with a half inch smaller collar each as the next size down doesn't fit but there is probably a *fraction* more room than absolutely desired in the size they do fit.

I am now thinking about trying my mare as a single in the regular comfyfit breastplate, the one in between the deluxe and the straight. I am thinking it may suit her shape a bit better Would love to do a neck collar for my singles harness but my shafts won't allow for it.

IMAG6769.jpg

IMAG6779.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is looking awesome.

What vehicle are you actually driving?

I can't remember where you are actually located... Is that an american made collar and if so is it the "310"? Or another one (not sure if the number applies if you bought the harness from another part of the world, LOL).

I see that you have buggy style hames and snaps (?) or chain links (?) on your quarter straps.

I live in Australia, but you are right - they are the #310 collars from Chimacum. Janie is just wonderful and doesn't mind shipping internationally, I wouldn't shop anywhere else as I think the quality is of a high standard and well, the customer service is of an even higher standard
default_yes.gif

Ooooh I was wondering if anyone was going to notice my temporary set up. It was a very proud 'McGyver' moment when I solved my dilemma with things we already had around our place. lol. My ponies (particularly my mare) are quite long in the body and the hold-back straps (snap set up) were not long enough to use, so I needed to extend them as it would take a few weeks for longer ones to arrive from the US. The chain links did the trick so I could drive my pair in the meantime. I tested it all out to ensure that the chain links would not rub/come into contact with the ponies when the breeching was in play and it worked out just fine. To be sure, I used the disc brakes on the long or steep hills as well.

The vehicle was made by my husband, it is very light. It is unfinished in the pics I posted and at this very second has been pulled apart and is being tidied up ready for its paint job and pin-striping. I am going with black with a royal blue pin-stripe. I can't wait for it to be put back together as I have been getting a real kick out of driving my ponies as a pair.

Have fun building! It is an adventure of trial and error but the good thing about building yourself is that everything is exactly customised to your/your horses' needs. Not that I can claim much of the physical building of my carriage, that was down to my husband
default_whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back