IGNORANT OWNERS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
Last night, get a call from a neighbor friend, she has a friend that has a mini that has been in labor for 3 hours, 3 HOURS!! I dont know what is wrong with people. So we head out there at 8:00 at night, I reach in and the baby is already dead, and positioned so there was no way for this poor mare to have it. I told them to get a darn vet out here NOW. The dome of the foals head was in the opening, stuck. His chin was pushed up against his chest and his front legs were straight and facing his rear, the mothers front.

THEN, I heard the WHOLE story... It was 3 hours from the time they got home and noticed her, so this mare could have been trying to have this foal for several more hours on top of it.. I said I give mares a half hour MAX.....Then Ive got a vet on the phone.. "Ohhh, we didnt know," they said. THEN WHY ARE YOU BREEDING?????????

They finally get a vet there, 3 hours later, before they could find a vet to come out. Luckily I was smart enough to push the baby back in a bit, so the poor are would stop pushing, she got to rest for a bit. She had been sweating, panting and trembling. The vet gets there and says, this is one of the worst presentations, he has ever seen. He ended up having to cut the baby into pieces and using a ratchet puller thing, to get it out. I COULD NOT stay and watch that. Went back after they were done, to hear the darn ignorant owner ask if the mare would be able to be bred again? You insensitive a--hole.

So I felt the owners out and told them I would buy ALL 3 minis they had, if they decided to get rid of them. They had this mare, the stud and the mares previous 2 year old filly from this stud, yep, you got it, the filly was still running with the stud..The owner says, "But we were told, they couldnt get pregnant until they were 3 or 4". I told her, "then, you were LIED to, you need to separate the filly NOW."

We did all the work and then he wants to throw her back out in the pasture with the stud. The stud comes ripping up to her, neck arched, squealing and trying to kick her. Now the vet only gave this mare a 50% of surviving this ordeal. She was so sore and weak she could barely stand, and we (my friend and I)only got her standing by shear muscle power. Hey, wheres the owners you might ask, IN THE HOUSE.... So then at 2 in the morning, my friend and I proceeded to take charge and put up fencing so the mare could be separate, and not get hurt.ARRRGH......Not to mention, once we finally convinced the guy to find us a fence pounder, he drops it on my LEG...

And on top of it all, their "barn" was a run down shack, that was leaning, they had stored rolls of barbed wire, a toilet, house windows, misc garbage, several pieces of rusted tin siding, and evidently left the string on the round bales they had previously fed, and several of those were laying around, partially embedded in mud. My daughters and I tripped several times on these. And we had to unwind the mares legs once, she must have gotten caught up in it when she was thrashing...

Im lucky I was able to keep my temper with them..UGH

Im hoping the late night vet call and the hours he spent there will be too much for them to pay and HOPEFULLY, I can buy them for the price of the vet bill... *fingers crossed*

If by some miracle I get these animals, I GUARANTEE that poor mare will NEVER be bred again....

Im fuming just thinking about it again.....please excuse any typos...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you 150%! I feel SO bad for that little mare :no: Hopefully she'll survive and you'll get them!

Thank you for trying to help! :aktion033:

Jodi

That poor poor little mare! :no: This is where I wish there were animal abuse laws in place to handle stuff like that.........but it gets so complicated no one wants to tackle them.

Does the vet know that they were puting that mare right back in with the stallion under the condition she was in??? If so, why doesn't the vet step in and advise them???

MA

How dumb can people get??
default_thumbdown.gif
: :
default_bye-sad.gif
: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: How can they just :ugh: I hope u do get them.

I can tell from the sound of your voice that you are insane with anger and I would be too. If it wasn't for you, that mare would already be gone.

I don't know if there is any real law against what they have done, or are doing, but sometimes I wish there were a law against plain ignorance.

I wonder if you contact Chance's Rescue if they can make a call somehow and try to talk to these people before they do anything else that is highly stupid and dangerous.

IMHO, you need to call a humane agent NOW. Maybe what they did by putting mare out with stallion isn't against the law, but the living conditions you describe ARE against the law. I know you want to get these horses away from them & that you'd like to give them a chance at a good life. But, that can be done by humane agencies. I wouldn't wait until I could pry them away myself, I'd call NOW. Just MHO, like I said. :no: Most any cop will tell you: Ignorance is no excuse.

I am so sorry for this mare and the others. What a sad life.

We have a neighbor that *had* a intact male lab. He was let to run loose and fathered litteraly hundreds of puppies. This man was Proud of that!! I even think he mated with several daughters. THis man always had puppies. This dog, was in horrible shape. Always thin, ticks, abcesses, and he was so skiddish, I am sure he was beat by lots of people. We called what passes as the humane socity here, its 2 counties away. They kept coming out, taking the dog and fixing his problem and bringing him back. We kept calling, the man never finished his meds or really took care of the dog so the probs kept coming back. After about 5 or 6 times out, the humane soc. person, placed the dog with someone else, and told the guy he died!! :aktion033:

So maybe try to call someone and keep calling. It might take a few trips, but maybe they will do something. And let them know you are willing to take the animals. or maybe someone else you know a little farther away. If they have a foster/perminant home they may do more.

Good luck

Problem is if you rescue these horses then they may go look for some more that won't have problems (in their mind anyway)!
default_wacko.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]reading that made my stomach start to hurt. the sad part is if you do get them from him he is likely to end up with more. i have done the same thing...bought something to get it out of a bad situation and you drive by a few months later and they have something else standing in the mud with no hay insight :no: . people just kill me...ignorance is bliss...i see it everyday
default_sad.png
. Nikki[/SIZE]

All I can say to this is OH MY GOD!!!! :new_shocked:

:no: poor mare and minis. i hope and pray you get them. We will be praying for the poor mare.

bless the mare heart.

I am by no means condoning this, a friend ran in to a similar situation last year with a horse she sold...1 yr old 27" mare turned out with a 34" stallion "just until they could get some more fence up". Both mare and foal died.

However these people bought these horses somewhere, we as breeders have a responsiblity to guide new owners esp. those purchasing breeding animals. Check out were they will live, get references if possible and be available.

And again don't take me wrong here but sometimes I think many of us fly off at people who through lack of knowledge make mistakes instead of trying to help them make better decisions next time. Makes people hesitant to ask for help. And yes it is also the responsibility of the new owner to educate themselves.

And yes in this case I probably would have been on the edge of murder too! But as others have said if you rescue these horses it is likely they will just buy more and without some guidance repeat their mistakes!

Well... These people as you call ( neighbor friend) called you for help. A bit on the late side but they did call asking for help. I can also understand your anger! This is all so sad. :no:

However, Instead of going over board on the anger, why not try to now educate them on all about miniature horses.
default_yes.gif
:

Sounds to me like these people have been listening to the wrong people and not getting the right facts.
default_sad.png

People that are new to miniatures I feel really need the help as they don't know. IGNORANT yes but that word means with out knowledge. So maybe you could take some time to get them going in the right direction and so this will never happen again.
default_yes.gif
: People make mistakes so hoping if they learn more about miniatures this will never be repeated again.

JMO :saludando:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I will be calling around to see what can be done, from a humane agency. Not sure where to even start looking for one around here, I guess the humane society *may* work with horses here, but I never seem to hear of anything being done.

As for educating the owners, I did try, It may have been a bit gruff, but I did inform them they needed to separate the filly from the stud too, and that she COULD get pregnant at any point. And also told them, that , heaven forbid, they were to ever breed again, once the mare is pushing, 1/2 hour MAX. Then get a vet . I told them, when I am expecting a mini foal, the mares are on constant surveillance. Checking bags, watching for changes in behavior, beeper on them , etc.

I also mentioned the stud wasnt the best choice for this mare, not only was he larger and heavier boned, he had a large head for his size. I honestly think it went in one ear and out the other, the guy owner, seems the type to think woman dont know anything...If you know what I mean. :no:

I think I am going to drive by there in the next day or 2 to see if he has still kept the mare separate or not.

Thanks again guys..

Well... These people as you call ( neighbor friend) called you for help. A bit on the late side but they did call asking for help. I can also understand your anger! This is all so sad. :no:

However, Instead of going over board on the anger, why not try to now educate them on all about miniature horses.
default_yes.gif
:

Sounds to me like these people have been listening to the wrong people and not getting the right facts.
default_sad.png

People that are new to miniatures I feel really need the help as they don't know. IGNORANT yes but that word means with out knowledge. So maybe you could take some time to get them going in the right direction and so this will never happen again.
default_yes.gif
: People make mistakes so hoping if they learn more about miniatures this will never be repeated again.

JMO :saludando:
I know its confusing, they are actually a friend of my neighbor friend. I had never met these people before that night.

That's sad. There are way too many resources out for excuses of ignorance. If no on line access, the local library has a wealth of info, and most now have internet as well. So I can't feel too sorry for these people personally. I might would have a little more concern for them if they showed an interest during all this and tried to help... and learn, instead of going to the house! If nothing else, that was just plain rude and disrespectful.

I tend to think that given time, they would again have another horse or 2 even if you were to purchase these. But if you are in a situation to be able to do it, and you have the desire to, I think you should. It's like the story of the man walking along the beach picking up shell creatures and tossing them back into the ocean. There were many miles of these creatures along the shoreline after the tide. A person told him that he couldn't possibly make a difference, and the man bent over, picked one up, threw it into the ocean and said, "Well, I just made a difference for that one."
default_wub.png
:

I wish you the best. And I hope that poor mare gets the love and treatment she deserves. You know, that had to be some terrible mental stress on that poor mare too. I feel so badly for her.

~Karen

Unfortunately, some people really are just ignorant, and assume animals can "take care of themselves". After all, if they were in the wild, they wouldn't be seperated from the stallion, and wouldn't have help foaling :no:

If I were you I would print out the replies to this topic, along with some info on breeding minis, and give to them, and let them know that if they don't make the effort to care better for their mini's, or find them a better home, you will have no choice but to call the athorities on them.

Back