IGG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveoaks

Reaction score
default_no.gif
the vet called with the results from the milk and said it was IGG he explained

but after he hung up i have some questions i can not get him until sunday after noon

(gone on trip) anyway here is my questions

1) is their any thing the owner of the mare can do to insure that this does not happen

2) do you test every foal

3) how common is this

4)can it be passed from mare to mare

thanks for you help

twelveoaks

i meant the blood not the milk

twelveoaks

Your question is a bit confusing but will try to answer.

The IGG test is done on the foals blood to determine if the foal recieved enough colostrum from the mare after birth. A foal can only absorb the antibodies from the colostrum for 12 or so hours after birth so it is very important to see they get plenty of colostrum in that time period (best within the first two hours of life)or their little bodies have no resistance to disease. A blood transfusion can provide antibodies also if the IGG test shows the foal did not get what it needed from the mares milk.

This is not a disease so it is not contagious.

Well, I'm assuming that if the vet did not recommend a transfusion that the baby passed the IgG test (had antibodies at least over 400). So that would be good news about that. Next week could be too late if she needs the transfusion.

To answer your other questions:

1. Make sure the mare has had fairly recent vaccinations so her antibody levels will be high to pass on through the colostrum and that the baby nurses well the first 12 hours.

2. No, I do not test every foal - only if the 2 things above did not happen.

3. Not common, but certainly not rare.

4. No.

Hope this helps. Also, very much hope the filly is doing better now.

Rita

We test every foal within a few hours of birth (if they were born over night - the vet comes in the morning). If they have not received enough antibodies in the colostrum, the vet give them some artificially.

JJay

We test every foal here within 12-15 hours after birth and the foal has nursed for IGG levels. My vet says the new recommended level should be greater than 800. I had a filly born three years ago where she was up almost immediately, frisky and nursing well. I had the IGG test done within 12 hours of the filly nursing, but as soon as the vet got the results (within half hour when she arrived back at the clinic), she called me and said she was coming back out because the IGG level was only 578. The vet gave the filly synthetic plasma to bring the levels up and, again, we had to wait 12 hours... but that still did not do the trick. The next day the vet came to give the filly plasma via IV (costly, but I would have gone this route in the first place had I known the synthetic stuff does not always work). Finally, after another 12 hours, her IGG was 2,000....but, in the meantime she developed joint ill in her left hock and had to have it flushed every day for two weeks, she was on antibiotics for a month and a half and had to be confined to a stall the whole time to keep her from running and weakening the hock joint. Long story short and after almost $4,000, that filly survived and never had any problems after that. I doubt she would have made it had I not tested her initially, and the plasma via IV did the trick but not before her immune system suffered. The dam was bought a month and a half prior to the filly being born, and the dam was severely underweight when I got her....I attribute that as the reason for the low IGG levels because the dam was not producing good colostrum, even though the milk looked normal and the filly was nursing furiously! The next year, this dam was fat and sassy and had a perfectly normal, healthy filly. I do hate to pay a farm call and pay for the test (costs keep going up), but it is really worth it in the long run. I always get the vet to give a Tetanus Toxoid shot to the foal at the initial vet visit as well.

I hope your IgG test came back within normal range.

I had a filly born one year. Very long story but will try to make it short. Mare was sick with Hyperlipemmia (sp) just before she had the filly. Mare spent a week at vets, was dripping milk. I asked the vet several times if I should be milking the mare and freezing the colostrum. He said no, she wasn't leaking enough. :DOH! Well brought mare home and she foaled that night at about 4am. Filly got up and ate. She started getting weaker about 2 pm. Vet told me to just watch her because he couldn't get IgG test down to the University until Monday, or I should just load her up and take her there myself (2 1/2 hour drive). Well I was not impressed with this vet. I then told my husband to hook the trailer up because we where heading out. We called the University to let them know and we had to be there before 6pm to not have an emergency fee added on. We left at 4pm and made it there in 1 hr and 58 minutes. It was a good thing because when I carried the filly out of the trailer, she was like a rag doll. She did not move or even lift her head, I really thought she was gone. Vets where already waiting. But to make a this story shorter. The filly was 14 hrs old by then and had an IgG level of 35. The vets couldn't understand why she was still alive. I did stop twice and give her Karo Syrup by mouth so she would get some fuel for her body. Still to this day I believe that is the only thing that kept her alive on the trip. They gave her plasma and she stayed there about four days and they also worked on her mother because she was not out of the woods yet from the Hyperlipemma. Very costly bill for us but they both made it.

0-400 signifies failure of passive transfer... 400-800 means moderate failure of passive transfer, more than 800 means sufficient passive transfer. While 400 is OKAY, it still should raise significant question and discussion in whether or not this paticular foal warrents a plasma transfusion. Most veterinarians will give plasma to any foal who tests under 800, especially if there is a great deal of money involved in getting that foal on the ground. If you've spent tens of thousands of dollars to get the foal, you will do everything possible to make sure that there is absolutely no question that there is anything wrong. Plasma is risky, and is quite expensive, but sometimes its required in order to keep the foal alive.

We test IgG on ALL foals 12-24 hours into their lives. Hopefully next year I'll have the facilities avaliable to do on-farm IgG testing, in which case I'd probably do a test 6-8 hours after birth. If they are still sub-par at that early age, they can still recieve oral assistance in the form of a colostrum bank or commercial colostrum products. After 12 hours the only solution is plasma. As time goes on the intestines start to close and the ability to absorb antibodies decreases very quickly. After 6 hours the ability is severely comprimised, after 12 hours its pretty much gone.

Even if the mare's colostrum is perfect, if that baby doesn't get enough, or for some odd reason doesn't absorb it, it may still be severely comprimised. That's why all babies should have blood drawn within a day of birth for the test, regardless of the mare's status or history.

Last edited by a moderator:
first i want to say a big thanks to everyone

i have talked to a lot of polple and some think that the igg test is to see if the colt had had colsturm and other think that it is for the antibodies in the milk

the vets i have talked to said its the antibodies am i understanding them correctly

Its both
default_smile.png

It tests to make sure that the foal has enough antibodies from his/her mother's milk. The mare produces the colostrum, which is rich in maternal antibodies (which is why vaccinating her 30 days before foaling is so important). Those antibodies (IgG... meaning immunoglobulin G, which are produced (at this stage of the foal's life) ONLY by the mare) are transfered to the foal through his digestive system. The intestines "close" their pores 6-12 hours after being born. This means that after that period no more IgG can be absorbed by the foal. The test is to find out what the level of IgG is in the foal's blood. If the level is sufficient (800+) then the foal has enough of a defense to last the first four or so months of his life. If the level is unsufficient, that means he needs extra help.

Nathan explained things very well. That's why I said "at least over 400." You never did say what the filly's reading was.

What the IgG tests is the foal's level of antibodies - of course, it had to come from the mare through the colostrum. That's why it's so important that the mare has a high level of antibodies and that the foal nurses well very early.

Rita

Again, Nathan answered better than I did. Guess we were typing at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back