If You Drive, I Want To Know ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaddax3

Reaction score
... Who offers the best show harness for the best price?

I'm not looking for the least expensive harness. I'm looking for the best harness for the money. So, who carries it?

Is it:

a) Mini Express

b) Ozark Mountain

c) Lutke

d) Other

And, while we're at it, answer me this: Do judges squint to see if the leather is rolled or not? I know a good horse is paramount but, if all else is equal, will a judge give more of an edge to a horse with a rolled-leather harness?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Ozark pleasure harness. Used it less than 24 hours and it wore out and broke. They said this never has happened before and offered to repair it for free, so we'll see. It barely had a coating of dust on it, still had its original shine with only a single cleaning (for a parade). I was really disapointed, plus it means I don't have a harness for the winter (since it takes around a month to get it repaired and sent back... they didn't offer a replacement rather than a repair). We'll see how good the repair is, I asked them to completely remove and replace the billets.

For harness brand I'd go "other". I much prefer the major harness brands (LaSalle, Freedman, Kennedy) over the the mini specific varieties. There is a big difference price wise but imo a huge difference quality wise as well. Freedmans that are 10-15 years old (and taken care of properly) are still gorgeous... and most mini harnesses Ive seen don't last 5 years, if that.

That said, I dont think the judge will need to squint to see if the harness is rolled leather. The rolled stuff is usually much finer than the flat, and that the finer harness does a lot to accentuate a mini. They tend to get overwhelmed pretty easliy with a heavier harness.

I agree with Spazkat -

Most of our show harnesses are LaSalle. We have found that they are durable, presentable and dependable. We are repeat customers of theirs and have been satisfied with everything that we have gotten from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ozark Mountain. I have 4 of their harnesses and one is still in use after 11 years. I do need to replace the overcheck on it as it is starting to have some serious cracks in the leather, but it has been a very nice harness and has been showing for years. Two of the others are 3 years old and the 4th I bought last year at Nationals.

I have two from mini express and the other is from Littlesteppers here on the forum. I love them all. My oldest is well over 10 years old. Its is perfect shape aside from the damage that was done when in a slight crash. It dont look old, or anything.

I personally dont like the Lutke harnesses. I dont like the overly fine look.

I have to say "other". I have a beta-harness from Country Carriages USA and absolutely love it. I had three leather hanresses and sold them. It fits my mini perfect and is easy to clean. It is three years old and still looks new. I have been very happy with mine.

i have many miniexpress harnesses. I think your best buy is their $310 patent harness. Each of my horses has one of these. They are sturdy enough for everyday and pretty enough for the showring. A freind of mine has had hers for over 10 years and it still looks good (she uses it all the time too).

I have a star lake rolled harness that is very beautiful and seems so delicate. I don't think it would hold up to more than just horseshow use, though.

I've a pleasure harness from Ozark and have been happy with it. The quality is what I expect for a $250 harness. I really like the fineness of the overcheck and brass engraved chicago screws holding the overcheck bit.

If you want a show harness and have the money to spend, its hard to beat a Lutke. They are by far the finest, prettiest harnesses I've seen. They are very low maintainence too.

Lutke!
default_yes.gif
:

I have a show harness from Ozark Mountain. It's beautiful and sturdy too! I love it. It's made by Mose Miller. For a work harness I have one made by the Amish in CT. I bought it from Silver Penny Farm. I LOVE my work harness from them!!!! I have a friend that has a work harness from Little Steppers and she LOVES it! It's a pretty one and could be used for show and work, although it's not a rolled harness...

My show harness from Oark Mountain...

skyMom.jpg

This is my Mom and her show mare Sky.

We got the pleasure Lutke in Oct for my daughters birthday for training and she loves it. She's also getting the show Lutke for Christmas someone on here bought new but didn't work out for there horse and l hope they stick it on the bus soon times running out and l'm curious to see what the differance between the pleasure and show is besides just looks and price... :lol:

i have a show harness from mini express, and its gorgeous!!!!!!!but i am waiting on my pleasure harness coming from minitacl at ozark, im sorrry i didnt upgrade to a show harness though,as the breastplates a bit more padded...but ill just buy some pads for them.....and i think that the service from ozark is terrific!!! they are making mine to measure
default_yes.gif
:

great thread

We deal with Star Lake Tack located in Atlasburg, Pa. They are only a hour and a half from our farm, which makes it very handy at times. We have owned 5 sets of fine rolled harnesses and never have had a problem and they are very easy to deal with if something doesn't satisfy as well, they will make it right. I have met the actual Amishman that makes the harness as well and have been to his place personally by accident, but mine were all ordered thru Cathy Waxler at Star Lake. We have had 2 rolled sets of gold trim, 2 sets of silver trim and one set of green trim to match our green show cart. There are two different grades of rolled harness, we have the finer of the two that are offered.

I ended up having to send bits and pieces back to Ozark, and sending some of them to local people to make longer, even though I gave them exact measurements
default_sad.png
They were very nice about it and all, but it still was fustrating to have to send it back and wait for a new package. Customer service from Ozark is wonderful, so far I'm very disapointed with the quality and fitting. I used a halter fuzzy to pad the breastplate
default_smile.png
And another fuzzy to pad the girth.

My grandson got a harness form Ozark last summer- has had no problems with it what so ever. we have several diffent harnesses - 2 of them made by a local welsh harness maker -- both have stood up very well. For fine harness, I think it is hard to beat the Lutke, and Dale is great to deal with. I would like another one someday as well.

I have bought harnesses from Mini Express and I really like both their pleasure harness and show harness. However due to the rise of cost in their show harness, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more extra on a Lutke their harnesses are just beautiful and you see them being used alot in the show ring.

I feel for you trying to decide on which is the best one. Ordering from a catalog or on-line is very difficult. I've found that no matter who the company, no one has a "fits all sizes" for harness or halters. My 3 yr old just started driving and I had such a problem getting the headstall to fit him. He's 31.75" and in good shape so IMO it shouldn't be so difficult yet everything I've bought for him so far has had to be cut down to fit.

I finally took the one that I had to rework to Natls and the guy at mini express reworked one of their harness "to fit". Problem is I only took the headstall and now that I'm home I'm seeing that I should have taken the saddle also. I'm gonna have difficulty getting it to fit him unless I buy a bigger pad to go under it. I will say that the harness is beautiful and refined and when I get it to fit properly, it will look great on him.

Good luck.

I have two Lutke harnesses and one from Mini Express. I have used LaSalle harness in the past on full size horses and they are great too. I prefer the finer look. Linda B

Linda B:

You and your horse looked great winning at Nationals this year. Did you use the Lutke or Mini Express harness when you won?

And one more thing ...

I'm guessing the Mini Express harness you have is rolled leather. Is that correct?

Linda B:
You and your horse looked great winning at Nationals this year. Did you use the Lutke or Mini Express harness when you won?
That's it in a nutshell to me, I have no idea what kind of harness Rum Runner had on but I sure do remember how he drove!! Awesome!! Linda could have had a very basic and plain leather harness on that horse and it wouldn't have matter on iota!! When your horse is broke and has what it takes the fancy equipment is merely icing on the cake, on the flipside of the coin I see folks in the ring with all the fancy tack and equipment and they don't have the horsepower or the horsemanship to get the to the top.

Anyway to answer your question, I have a lutke that I love and the rolled harness really does look great and I love having it, I also have a patent harness from mini express that has done the job too. The Lutke is just nicer icing. :lol:

Latest posts

Back