IF You Could Pick a Different FIRST Name, Would You? (POLL)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IF I easily could, I would pick a different first name or name that I am known by:

• Yes

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 56.6%

• Total voters
Growing up, I would have said "yes." I was named after my aunt and uncle, Barbara and Michael - so I became Barbara Michelle. I hated Barbara growing up, because inevitably someone would want to call me "Barbie." I am NOT a Barbie kind of person! But then I realized it could've been worse, because my aunt and uncle both went by their middle names. Had I been named after their first names, I could've been Ruby Harriet. (after Ruby and Harry)

I'm fine with it now. Most people shorten my name to Barb, but I always introduce myself as Barbara as that's what my family has always called me. My husband never calls me Barb, it is always Barbara. It's not too common of a name. This year is the first year I have ever had a student with the name Barbara. She goes by Barbie, but she thinks it's neat we have the same name!
default_yes.gif

Barbara

Very few can spell my first name...even less can my last name... and fewer can pronounce either correctly. Gets annoying after awhile.

Very few can spell my first name...even less can my last name... and fewer can pronounce either correctly. Gets annoying after awhile.
I'm in the same boat with first name, misprounced and misspelled quite regularly.

I most definitely would change my name....... I hate my name. It's Debbie but almost everybody calls me Deb........I hate that too. It stinks getting stuck with a name you really, really don't care for. It sounds like a cheerleader or something. I love my daughter's name, Sydney. It seems modern, smart and interesting to me.

Legally my first name is Mary, and my middle name is Ann. I have always been called "Mary Ann"....... When someone tries to call me "Mary", I tell them to either call me Maryann or "M.A." After my parents passed, I legally changed my name to Maryann and made my maiden name as my middle name.

The husband says he's had his name for 60 years and it works. <smile>

The only thing I dislike about my name, is the fact that everyone wants to call me Kathy.....I have never and will never go by that name. Had a teacher once try to call me Kathy, he got really irritated when I wouldn't answer him in class....but as I said I've NEVER gone by Kathy....just do NOT like that name.

~kathryn

The responses are interesting! For whatever it's worth -- I like ALL the names that you folks would change
default_wub.png

A name I am not "crazy" about... that would be my husband's!!! Harvey? Yeah, not one of the best choices if you ask me
default_biggrin.png

The responses are interesting! For whatever it's worth -- I like ALL the names that you folks would change
default_wub.png

A name I am not "crazy" about... that would be my husband's!!! Harvey? Yeah, not one of the best choices if you ask me
default_biggrin.png
Yeah, but I guess there are just certain things you're willing to overlook, LOL.

I can't repeat some of the things I call my husband at times
default_smile.png
( still love himthough)

Well, sometimes i dont like my last name, Teague. You pronounce it like League, but with a T, and some people say, tea-A-goo, or tee-guee, or combine the 2, tea-a-guee....I wouldnt change my first name though. My parents named me "Bailey" because when they met they were both in law enforcement, and they named me after "Bailiff"...pretty cool. Except when you look up Bailey in a dictionary, Im a castle wall LOL

But I have always liked the name Caroline...dont know why but i do!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would change mine to Ashley , in fact i named one of my fillies this year Lil Hoofbeats Ashley, and i also named one Lil Hoofbeats Olivia

I would I do go by Lyn and my real name is Evelyn I just hate that name.

I like my name. It's unique enough that I almost never run into another one, but it's easy to spell and pronounce.

Luckymeacres....I have an Aunt (actually my husband's aunt) whose name is Evelyn....she goes by Evy.

My name is "Valerie Georgine Dale Baynham" (was Nixon)

I have always been called Genie, by those closest to me and Gene by teachers and colleagues.

Mum said I didn't look like a Valerie, and Georgine was to honor my Uncle George and Dale was my Dad's name. So she went with "Genie"

I was supposed to be the last child but two more followed me
default_yes.gif

My great grandmother's name was Maria Cleotilde Henry. She went by "Tilly" her whole life. Most people had no idea her first name was actually Maria and I think she liked it that way. Interesting how some just always go by their middle names
default_smile.png

YESSSSS, I would have changed my name. I have never liked my first name, Kandi, spelled that way and everything. Not Kandace, which I would have preferred. Now with the Grants Pass auction and seizure of the minis of Kandi Crow, I am hating my name yet again.

In grade school I tried to change and go by my middle name, but no such luck. I already had too many friends who refused to call me Michelle.

A friend was joking when I switched to miniature horses and called my little paradise Kandi-Land and it stuck. I now have Kandi-Land Miniatures and love that. I can't see changing my name at this point of the game.

My mom named me Beverly Sue and my sister is Patty Jean. I think she must have been watching Petticoat Junction or something when she was Pregnant! My name is ok, and I really do not run into any Beverly's anymore, as it is a very old fashioned name. I would love to have a name like Camille or maybe Olivia.
default_yes.gif

I think my name is common and boring. Mary My middle name is even worse. Caroline

I was named after both of my grandmothers.

While I wouldn't change my name now (just used to it after having it my whole life...lol) but I always wished I had a less boring and plain name...Linda. I was supposed to be Denise, but when I was born they said I didn't look like a Denise and decided on Linda. When you add my middle name is sounds better...kind of rolling off the tongue...Linda Marie. My mom called me "Linnie" a lot (even as an adult) which ONLY she could call me that...I never would have wanted to have that as a nickname. A few people call me "Linda Lou", which again I only allow a few people to do...lol

I always wanted to be named Dakotah (yes, with an H) even tho I am pretty sure I don't look like a Dakotah...lol and in the early 60's that name probably did not exist. lol

I love a lot of the more popular names that are out there now...One of them is Brielle and I named my cat that!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back