If You Could Choose Only ONE Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pick a gelding, stallion or mare?

• Gelding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stallion

• Mare

• Total voters
I would choose a stallion....I love their honesty...fire...spirit...and, sense of pride. It is a thrilling package for me
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Robin

If I only had one it would be a gelding. I don't see the point of keeping a stallion if you're not going to breed and if I had a mare I would always be tempted to breed......so wouldn't be just one anymore! That said, I love all my mini's.....my favorite is.....whichever one I'm working most at the moment! Well, okay, honestly it's my stallion Heir. :bgrin

Gelding for me!! :aktion033: Even when I was breeding horses, I always seemed to have more geldings than mares or stallions...LOL!
default_wub.png
:

I choose stallion :bgrin

It brings tears to my eyes to watch them sometimes, all that pride and power, even in the smallest of bodies. That is the only regret I have about gelding our stallion, although 9 months on, he still puffs up occasionally when he sees his mares and foals. :bgrin

I think it's that "Never, never, never give up" attitude that I love.
default_wub.png
: And his son certainly has it!! :new_shocked: :lol:

We have SIX geldings and ONE mare - GELDINGS ROCK !!!

My nickname is " The Gelding Queen ".

Justine

i chose a STALLION!! ive been around horses all my life, and i just love the way a stallion looks when he is at a show , especially when he gets excited, and strutts his stuff lol, i love there attitude, and there presence and everyday is different and they are more of a challenge to keep,...now if we are talking 17.2 s id say a gelding lol :lol:

I picked mare, as I seem to like them a lot.. I don't know why... however, if I were picking just one horse that I own, it would be a toss up between my thoroughbred and mini geldings! LOL Go figure ;)

Jessi

I love the presence of a stallion - their spirit, animation - attitude - however in response to your question- it would be a gelding if I could only have one - all of the reasons you said - plus our grandchildren often visit and it is nice to allow them to lead one of the geldings around without having to worry as much.

Mare. I Love them. Theyre sassy and a Challenge yet Sweet. I just love the mares they are beautiful
default_wub.png
:

Gelding! I have one mini mare that I wouldn't part with, but the other 5 are geldings. I have another foal in utero that I'm on a waiting list for if he's a he and you'd better bet he will be gelded too.

I also, have a quarter horse gelding that I wouldn't part with. He is the sweetest most loving horse.

Mare also, I think what other's call "marish" is wonderful, as mine are all really bonded to me. They may take a bit more work, but they are Very faithful and devoted... geldings will leave you for anyone, and studs for a mare... Mares are their own.
I absoloutely couldnt agree more! Goooo MARES! I have such a bond with my two girls. I have had many a gelding in the past and nothing can beat my mares...
default_yes.gif
:

I am not sure why but every time I see a horse that makes me go "ooooohhhh" it turns out to be a colt! Most of the horses that I have had a special relationship with have been stallions although right now I have 2 mares that I truly adore - they both drive!!! :bgrin

I have to pick a Stallion. I really love everything about them. I love how they show and I love to drive them. Guess I've been lucky enough to have some great stallions to work with.

Ok, take away all the horses we have and start from scratch, the horse I would want to start with would be a gelding! Looking back anytime we wanted to do anything out of the ordinary or something special it was alsways the gelding we pulled and used. When I talk to people who are looking for that first horse for a young child, I always reccomend buying a young colt that they like, have it gelded and enjoy!

Jill you ask the HARD questions. I didn't think I would EVER consider a stallion but after 2 months with Tryst he was a CONTENDER. I went with a mare. Just for the versatility. I've never had a hormonal mare that was hard to show. That's her filly "Peanut" under her.

Here's my pick Post Rock Farms Aspen Gold "Tweet"

tweetcomplete.jpg

Hmm... well going by the words...starting from scratch--if I was a beginning horse owner, gelding, all the way!!

But right now, mares have a lot of the drive that the stallions do (and don't seem to have quite the conservation of energy that many stallions have), and I generally don't have a problem with hormonal mares. So I do like the girls. Its not a problem for breeding, as I wouldn't be interested in breeding a horse if that was the one I had to have.

Stallions are nice, but I feel geldings can still have plenty fire and go--which is what I am interested in for driving! Plus its not as easy to throw them in a driving hitch and go for it. I work with several full size stallions on a daily basis and honestly, I wouldn't really want to deal with that mindset all the time (though I am, LOL).

That is hard, I like each one for different reasons

but if it came down to picking just one it would be a mare
default_yes.gif
:

This is fun to read through
default_smile.png
Happily, we don't have to go with "just one". I'd have a hard time parting with my mares (many of whom are driving horses) and my stallions (oh, man, I love them!). It's just that, kind of like Terri / Minih said, when I want to do something "just for fun", it's almost always a gelding I pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back