If You Are A Breeder And Want to Sell To Show Homes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

First of all, this is just my opinion, so take it for just that...one person's thoughts on the subject.
default_laugh.png

This weekend I went to my first miniature horse show in almost 2 years. My last time was the 2009 World Show. I am one of those people who understands you can't please everybody all the time, but my goal (and no, I don't always get there) is to produce the best quality foals I can. I also have a "specialty" of sorts in that my preference to own, look at, breed for and show is the 30" & Under horse. I totally understand that not everyone likes them that small. And I've learned over the last approximately 10 years that it's darn hard to produce a horse that tiny that is balanced. It's just not easy, but since it's what I prefer to look at, that's what I prefer to own and produce.

We all see the professional and candid photos that folks post of their horses - there are tons a beautiful horses out there. I look at websites, read the MHW and Journal, etc. But I was BLOWN AWAY this weekend!
default_new_shocked.gif
The quality of the horses - in ALL height divisions - has dramatically improved in the last two years! Seeing the pictures, reading the magazines, etc., just isn't a substitute for going to an actual show and seeing what the horses look like in the flesh. And my guess is that going to local shows may give someone an idea, but I would STRONGLY suggest that all breeders who hope to produce show quality or just solid conformation horses attend as many regional and national shows as possible and spend time observing the halter and performance horses in the ring. Talk about a humbling experience. Wow!
default_new_shocked.gif

Again, this is just my opinion, but I will say in all honesty I was shocked at the dramatic improvement in the quality. This was just a regional show and the competition was TOUGH! There were stunning horses getting 3rds, 4ths and 5ths. In the Reserve and Grand classes, there were sometimes 6 or more horses that on any given day could be World Champions. It was BY FAR the best group of horses I'd seen at a regional show in all my years.

If this was any indication of what the World Show is going to be like, folks hand on to your hats...we're in for quite a show!!
default_aktion033.gif

Breeders, get out there and see the horses for yourself. It's eye opening for sure.

Congratulations to all the folks that won! Some of those ammy classes were as good, if not better, than the open classes. Our own forum members, the Sellwood's, the Bennett's and the Shepherd's had some STUNNING ammy/AOTE horses!
default_aktion033.gif

As to in the Pony arena - just the past three years has seen a huge improvement in breeding/showing programs.

I was only there thursday--and it was my first AMHA regional show ever--but I have to agree with the amount of really stunning horses. I was drooling for sure.

Our stallion recieved the reserve grand senior ammie and AOTE award in classes of 5. We are on top of the world about that!

Wow! Congratulations! I wish I could have stayed to see the boys as they are always the best part of the show in my opinion. You should be very proud.
default_aktion033.gif
Post pictures when you get a chance.

I was only there thursday--and it was my first AMHA regional show ever--but I have to agree with the amount of really stunning horses. I was drooling for sure.

Our stallion recieved the reserve grand senior ammie and AOTE award in classes of 5. We are on top of the world about that!

Thanks!

I was blown away by the amount of gorgeous mares there. Some of the open mare classes had 9-12 horse in them and the difference between 1st and last was miniscule in some cases. Really impressive.

Just wanted to throw in here that even people that can't afford to travel to all these shows can now watch a majority of the Regional shows, the AMHR Nationals, ASPC Congress and AMHA Worlds online, and the feeds are improving every year. I've heard far too many people say that the pro photos are fixed, and that no horse actually looks like that, and I think a lot of the local shows are still a few years behind the top level. Watching online is not the same as seeing the horses in person, but it's enough to prove that the horses we see in the breed publications are TRULY that awesome.

Tiff brings up an excellent point about the live feeds. But I don't think there's a substitute for sitting ringside and seeing the horses lined up and being able to compare with your own eyes. Still photos are one thing, but having 8 - 10 living, breathing, walking, trotting horses in front you to compare is very educational. I enjoyed it immensely and feel like my "eye" is much improved for having spent 2 days doing not much else but watching halter and performance classes.

Just wanted to throw in here that even people that can't afford to travel to all these shows can now watch a majority of the Regional shows, the AMHR Nationals, ASPC Congress and AMHA Worlds online, and the feeds are improving every year. I've heard far too many people say that the pro photos are fixed, and that no horse actually looks like that, and I think a lot of the local shows are still a few years behind the top level. Watching online is not the same as seeing the horses in person, but it's enough to prove that the horses we see in the breed publications are TRULY that awesome.

"This weekend I went to my first miniature horse show in almost 2 years. My last time was the 2009 World Show. I am one of those people who understands you can't please everybody all the time, but my goal (and no, I don't always get there) is to produce the best quality foals I can. I also have a "specialty" of sorts in that my preference to own, look at, breed for and show is the 30" & Under horse. I totally understand that not everyone likes them that small. And I've learned over the last approximately 10 years that it's darn hard to produce a horse that tiny that is balanced. It's just not easy, but since it's what I prefer to look at, that's what I prefer to own and produce."

I too agree with you on producing 30" and under minis to get a good conformation on them. I myself breed for 34" and under with many at 30" and under and it has taken me over 7 yrs to finally produce what I think is a good looking mini at that height. I never been to a big show but have watched nationals on line and have to say they are doing a great job producing some really nice horses now a days also.

AAhhh my buddy you are to kind. Your horses looked fabulous and did awesome!! I agree with u, nothing better to watch it live. I was watching senior stallions 32-34 there was three of them in a row and u could of chosen any of them and it was fine by mean. It was a great show I could of done without the heat my only complaint. Great show staff, ran smooth. Ready to go home in the am.

Back