I'd Like To Recommend: AUDIBLE.com

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I hope it's okay to recommend a vendor!

I've been a member of Audible for a year or so, but long before came to love audiobooks. I have their higher end plan, but they offer two. The one I have lets you get two "credits" each month for $22, and each credit is good for one book. Audiobooks are pretty expensive so if you're like me and enjoy them, it's a great deal!

Also, they regularly have sales where members can purchase audiobooks for as little as $4.95 (including some of Molly Harper's in their most recently concluded sale). You're also able to purchase additional credits for about $12 each in a pack of 3.

The books are downloaded, so you get them "instantly". You can listen to them on your computer, MP3 player, or smartphone. Also, it is an "Amazon Company", and I think you can also listen to the books on the Kindle and maybe other e-Readers.

I do mine from my iPhone or Android phone. I have some speaker docks at home (in different rooms) and it also syncs up with my car via Bluetooth. Easy to pause, rewind, increase the speed, etc.

At this point, when it comes to what I "read" for fun, I'm not reading another word to myself
default_biggrin.png
It feels like bliss to be read to!!!

Just out of curiousity, when places list an audio version, does that mean that besides 'downloadable', it also comes in CD format too? Or would I need to download onto my laptop and then burn onto CD myself?

I don't know. For audible, they are only downloadable. I think you can burn them to a CD, but am not sure and don't know how to. I know in the past, before I joined Audible, I got "physical" audiobooks in the mail, on CD's recently... but some of those are on DVD disks and MP3 format, so they don't work in all stereos (as some won't play MP3 files, and still more won't recognize a DVD (higher capacity) disc, vs. a "regular" CD). It can be a little tricky right at first, until you figure out what your stereos will play.

RIGHT now, Audible has a 2-for-1 special going, and they also are selling credits (1 credit = 1 book) to member for less than $35 for 3 credits (for which you could buy SIX books in this sale). They are changing the selection of books daily during the sale. I bought two books yesterday and today bought a 3-pack of credits. If I don't use thenm now, I know I will later.

Yes, for the plan I have, it's like $22 and change a month, for 2 "credits", and any book I have ever bought or considered (even LONG ones) are just one credit. But they also are always having a sale. Last week, it was selections for only $4.95 each, including some of Molly Harpers's. Now until February 28, you can choose from their selections and get 2 books for 1 credit, and you check back daily (after 10am ET) to see the selection for that day as they are changing it daily... I bought 2 yesterday, and 2 today!).

You can buy "extra" credits for less than $35 for 3 (and on my plan, you automatically get 2 each month). I did buy some "extra credits" figuring I will use them on something, hopefully this current sale where you can get 2 books for 1 credit (or about $5.50 / book).

One thing to watch, if you sign up, is when you are taking advantage of a price sale (like where the selected books are $4.95/each, be sure at check out, you opt to pay for them, vs. use a credit (because a credit is good for any book, not just the ones on that kind of a sale).

It's just so "right" for me, when it comes to audiobooks. I don't ever get the abridged ones, so I'm not missing any of the words, and I think I actually do focus more when it's read to me. Most of the narrators are really, really good. Do great voice changes, etc. I won't lie and say I can do much multitasking while listening (many people can, though! ... or at least that's what they claim LOL!). I can drive and listen, or relax and listen. That's nearly it. But when I go to the office, it can be an automatic 2hrs, or more (traffic, or if I speed up the narration -- if you try that, give it 2-3 minutes before deciding not to, you'll be suprised how quick your ears and mind adjust!). I think I comprehend better and my mind wanders less with audiobooks than when I am reading to myself.

My first audio book was Stephen King's first "Dark Tower" book, in the early 90's, and he read it himself, which was very cool I knew I was hearing it as he meant it to be heard. I have been hooked ever since, and Audible is a really good way if you are a continous "reader" to get the books at a nice discount, either by their credits per month, or the sales they always seem to be offering.

Latest posts

Back