e-Readers/e-Books

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I bought a "Flare" (cheapie) tablet, and am wanting to use it to read books, using free book download sites. I am not up on this type of technology...I don't even have i-phones, smart phones etc. My tablet is an "android" type thing. There are so many differtent types of apps...how do I know if I need a Kindle, Kobo, or any other type, or are they all compatible? Can anyone recommend a good FREE reader app as well as a dependable site with the largest selection of free books to download? Also, do they download in pdf files, doc files, or ???? Thanks in advance for helping me to understand!! I am ready for my lesson in eBooks 101!

I have kindle app, nook app, and google books on my tablet...the Kindle app is the only one I use. Amazon definately has the best selection of books. There is also an app called "kindle buffet" you can download to your tab and get free books there.

I can't help with most of your questions because I still live in the stone-age when it comes to technology, but I do know that both Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble (online site) offer free ebooks. There are a couple of other sites too but for the life of me, I can't remember them right now.

Thanks. I do have the Kindle downloaded, and as you say, I found that Amazon has the market cornered with that, but I was more specifically wanting to download free ebooks. So you need several different types to watch different varieties??

Unfortunately, ebooks are not "standardized" the way mp3s and other digital media are, so you generally need a separate proprietary app (or device) from each vendor in order to read that vendor's book files. As has been mentioned, Amazon does have lots of free books in addition to its regular-priced fare. While viewing a Kindle book category on the website, use the drop-down menu to sort the results by "price: low to high" to send all the freebies to the top!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Charley and Sugary Charm. I didn't reallize you could download all types of readers onto a single tablet. I thought you had to choose just one type. Thanks also for the Amazon tip!

Latest posts

Back