I was WRONG about Belle wanting a horse friend!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anngee

Reaction score
I'm shocked. Belle wasn't here last night when Riley got here. She came home around 4:30 - 5:00 this afternoon and spent at least 5 hours chasing Riley, kicking both back feet at her, one point stomping while Riley was in the ground. My husband tied Belle up for a little while, I came home to see when he called me about it. He untied her...she went after her a few times, but when I called her name and fussed like I would do my dog she would stop. We both help a harness and walked them face to face...Belle leaned her nose on her and stood for a bit, then didn't bother her for a couple hours, they kept their distance still. Now, Belle is in the shelter and little bit is standing out at the other end of the fence. Belle was raised with horses...not sure if it's bc it's bc it is another Mare, or bc she is pregnant ( which they said she was a great mother.) Belle was as sweet to us as ever as all this was going on. She wanted her head and kept putting her belly for me to rub it. Last time she went after Riley I told her no and stopped petting her. Watched from inside and they have stayed separated since. I hope they get along tomm.

Probably just sorting out dominance. Some can very mean about it. They should settle down in a few days.

this is very typical horse behavior. A new horse should be kept separate for a few days--let them get to know each other over the fence (a safe fence) and then put them together once they know each other.

I never get a new horse and put it in with another horse here--as said above that's a good way to have someone get injured.

I didn't know that. I am fixing to see what it takes to put a temp barrier up. On the bright side my daughter's 4 pound poodle ran through the fence ( we were freaking out ) never bothered Belle.

I think you just need to give it time. Horses always have to figure out who's the boss, and once they agree it'll be smooth sailing. If they were mine, and as long as they have enough room to get out of each other's way, I would just let them work it out. I think before long you'll look out and see them grooming each other
default_wub.png

Today Belle only kicked once and she really isn't chasing her anymore...more like looking at her expecting her to move & little bit ( Lexie ) moves very quickly. They are standing closer to eachother for minute or two. I just hope they will share the shelter soon! We are rolling out triple the amount of fence now for them. Was hoping to add later, but we couldn't wait. I didn't realise how tiny Lexie is until I saw her near Belle.

I hope so, my husband said it is night and day from last night when he had to tie Belle so Lexie could catch her breath.

Update: Belle & Lexie have been standing closer, I just watched them stand close and look in eachothers eyes...that was the closest they have ever been. I will never put another horse in there without giving them days separate again! Will Belle know that her baby is hers?

Glad things are starting to settle down a little between the two of them. How far along is she? She will need to be separated for foaling as sometimes other mares may try to claim a foal as their own.

They said she could foal through June. We got all the T post up & was short 75 foot of fence . Will need another roll and a gate to separate the fence/ horses. Lexie tries to stay away from Belle, so I don't think she will bother the baby, but I worry Belle may get over protective of the esp. Since she knows Lexie will run from her.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like Belle knows Lexie is boss mare there, so I really wouldn`t expect her to challenge Lexie over her foal when it`s born. At this point, it may be best to just leave them together, and Lexie will make sure Belle keeps her distance after the foal is born.

That's the catch...I feel if I separate them We will have to go through this whole period again. Maybe I will try tovleavecthe gate to the other fence opened, if we have issues I will then shut the gate separating them

I agree with Mona and I think you've done a great job getting a friend for Belle. It can take awhile sometimes, and sometimes to our eyes, horses don't seem to like each other but they really do need and like another horse companion.

Early into having my first horse, hevwas boarded with a horse I would still say was flat out crazy. That horse acted like he hated Sky in the pasture but when I would take Sky out and ride him (the riding ring was out of sight to the other horse), that horse would shinny and run the fence looking for Sky. By the time of be done with Sky the other horse was in a literal lather from being so upset Sky had been away for a little while. If not for knowing how he reacted to his absence, I would have sworn he hated Sky.

I don't think Lexie will try to kidnap Belle's baby. She'll be jealous at first, probably, but before long she will be kind of an aunt and second set of eyes to keep an eye on the foal.

So long as the can get out of each other's way when they need to,I'm sure it's better to have more than one horse. Other animals can help by being a kind of companion, but horses are herd animals that almost always are better off emotionally if they have another horse as a companion.

Thank you. They definitely seem to be settling in...Either Lexie is tired of running from Belle or she sense she can walk much closer to her than they have been.

Back