I want to get another miniature...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
I have been putting this off because I didn’t want flames to fly… But here goes nothing…

I want to get another miniature.

Now before anything starts; I have some reasons.

My first reason is Joy. Joy is my 6 month old filly. Joy needs a companion, if for nothing else but mental reasons. Before we got her, She was outside through out the day with about 12 other miniature horses. Now here she is all alone… I spend as much time with her as I can… Most of the time she is calm, quite and responsible (in side, out side and in public)… but sometimes outside she will call out… Look around… And run the fence… It is not safe to leave her unattended. She gets excited when the big horses walk by, or even more when I do. (My parents want to put her out with the big horses!!! I know that’s a big no-no!!!)

My second reason is Midnight my 26 year old stallion. Many of you guys say he is too old to do much – especially shows. Either way Midnight may have one year showing – but that’s if he’s up to it!

I plan on driving the new mini, and showing him/her in Midnight’s old classes. Midnight will semi retire. If I get another mini, he/she would be from 2(going on 3) to 8 years old. If it is a stallion, he will be gelded. Can be a A or B gelding, but only an A if it is a mare.

Also our farm has stalls to spare. We have food that is made for 3 to 15 year old horses, so his feed fits right in – little cost. We will have fields for him/her to be in all day (with Joy)

I am also paying for this horse by myself. At the moment I have $300.

I was planning on buying another foal next year(spring) but then at shows, I will only be able to show in halter, and I miss out in some classes that I really like…

Also I don’t want Joy to be by herself for so long… In a way she is fine – but you can tell she misses having company. I think that is why she is so close to me.
unsure.gif

I know when spring comes around, the foals will all be tempting… But is a show horse more worth it? Is it right to have Joy semi alone?

-Desiree-

And people please remember DESI is a regular humin been!! You might wanta look at how many horses you have before you flame away, and consider her feelings! I can tell you flaming a youth is VERY hard on our self esteem's it makes us want to hide in a whole, and NEVER have miniature horses, so please people, we are the future generation of breeders/showers/owners, please be nice, even if you disagree, say it in a nice way!

Personaly Desi, I say go for it, horses are herd animals and they need buds, just like us! although you will probably need more than $300.00!! Thats the only thing i would try to work on!!

Gage

I would go for it!

I mean you have reasons and like me, your wanting something for show/companionship. Also i know you give good amounts of attention to your mini's. I say go get what you want ....dont let anyone stop you. You know your mini's and yourself better then anyone ..if you feel you can handle more then go for it.

I know im planning on buying another horse soon so my mare will have a companion (its a mare im looking into from WI). I know i will get flamed but thats fine, i know what i can handle and what i can train and not. So you see where im coming from ....if you can handle it and want it get it. Plus i know you can take care of it.

Joy needs a little buddy ...

So i would say go for it!

Leeana

~Palomino~ said:
And people please remember DESI is a regular humin been!!  You might wanta look at how many horses you have before you flame away, and consider her feelings!  I can tell you flaming a youth is VERY hard on our self esteem's it makes us want to hide in a whole, and NEVER have miniature horses, so please people, we are the future generation of breeders/showers/owners,  please be nice,  even if you disagree, say it in a nice way!
Personaly Desi, I say go for it,  horses are herd animals and they need buds, just like us!  although you will probably need more than $300.00!!  Thats the only thing i would try to work on!!

Gage

513595[/snapback]

wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Thank you Gage.

-Desiree-

p.s. I have a ...semi job... I get $100 a month. so I will have more than $300
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
I'm aiming for around $1000
yes.gif

The only probablem is a horse that age might not get along with a foal. I only have/had one older horse that I would trust with the foals. THe rest are a little to aggressive for them.

Cant you put your gelding with her for now?

I am not on the board too often lately so not sure what the post is about from Palomino. Whatever, yep you are entitled to your hearts desire as the rest of us are. I too think you will need a few bucks over the 300.00, but that is a start eh!!! I think if you have the room, feed, time and money set aside over and above the 300.00 to cover the unexpected that ALWAYS comes along I too see no reason you couldn't shop for another mini. Keep in mind YOU are the only one that truly knows what you are and are not capable of caring for and maintaining. The rest of us are only going on what you share with us. Think the whole picture through and then rethink it, that's usually the way major decisions are done here. I do think purchasing a mini is a major thing.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and I hope you decide with your head NOT your heart as many barns are full from the heart
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I think your filly needs a buddy! And I happen to have the perfect little 2 year old gelding!
biggrin.gif
He loves my little weanling colt...

Anyway, you should get what you want. You have goals and know what you are looking for. That's important and also you have the time and room. That is VERY important! Go for it and good luck in your search
smile.gif

Hi Silver,

The posts with the youth latley have been getting really over flamed, I am totally understandable that these adults know what they are talking about, just some do it in an un plesent way....
no.gif

I just wish everyone can be happy and not get are feeling hurt!!!

Gage

I'm with Palomino ....but half the time looking back now i deserved it though
rolleyes.gif

I still say Midnight should do what she wants, she seems to want a new mini ..i will stick behind anyone on just about anything unless it is dangerous or just completely out of the question! I tend to have allot of faith in people for some reason.

Leeana

You asked what I would do:

I would certainly start looking for the right horse. It takes time, and I would be willing to look at a possible lease of a yearling/weanling, someone suitable to be the companion for your girl, since that is your main goal as well as driving and show, etc.

Maybe you would find a well broke older gelding that already knows how to drive and also gets along w/your girl, but you won't know that til you get them home.

So don't make any commitments til you are sure that it is the right horse for you, and don't buy anything you aren't 100% IN LOVE with! The right horse is out there, you just have to be patient enough to find him or her.

Perhaps someone would let you make payments, or again a lease in return for training.

I, too, have room for MAYBE one more mini in the near future, but I am TAKING MY TIME and stepping back, as I know when the right one comes along, I will know for sure.

Liz M.

I am going to suggest the same thing I suggest to anyone that is trying to decide on something. Get a piece of paper and make two columns. Label one pros and the other cons. Then add to either list whenever something comes up. If the cons outweigh the pros, then you need to decide whether they are something you can fix or live with.

It does sound as though you are thinking in a way that most adults don't do when they jump into a horse purchase, so I think you will make the right choices.

Good luck.

Angie

I agree completely- she does need company - well done for putting her needs before your own, I know there are a lot of other things you could have done with the money!!

I do think you should be looking at youngsters the same age as Joy, though, this is the only way she will get real company- with the added bonus that a foal will be cheaper than a half grown, already gelded, youngster who might have no interest in playing with her at all, and you could end up with two lonely horses and we ALL know where that leads- how do you think half the people on this board ended up with the numbers they have??
yes.gif

Buy sensibly after thinking for a long time- save as much as you possibly can.

Once you have made a decision, allow yourself one, last , hard thought about it and then stick to it!!

Good Luck.

I was thinking the same thing as Nootka. Look around for a nice gelding to lease that you can show in all kinds of classes. Make sure he gets along with foals.

I agree with others, its great that you are thinking of her needs.
yes.gif

Robin

It would be nice for your baby to have a companion.

I am not the person to give advice on buying or not buying. My biggest accomplishment this year, is the fact that I haven';t bought a horse this year! Of course I have no room and no money either, so I couldn't!

Since Joy is only 6 month old and you probaly want something that she can 'grow up with' ..i would go for something around a yearling. Then when its 2 you can drive it and get it trained ext.

aktion033.gif

I think you have the right idea. As for an older horse getting along with a baby

it depends on the horse. We have a little four year old gelding who thinks he's

a nanny. He actually prefers the babies over the older horses. When I weaned

the last baby [because we only had one] we put him in with her. They were

buddies before weaning though. Best of luck. Linda B
yes.gif

Ashley Posted Today, 06:08 PM   QUOTE

Then when its 2 you can drive it and get it trained ext.

It should not be drove before it is 3.
She could still show it in halter and start it in ground driving though.

Leeana

Latest posts

Back