I took some "before" pictures of Skye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I just took these today. He does eat his grain if I take it to him, he hasn't eaten much, if any, hay. He's in good weight though, alot of grass all summer, he was in a huge woods, not sure what he'd have looked like in the spring. I tried to pick his feet up to get the snow out of the bottom but I couldn't get them picked up but here they are. We don't want to bother him with the burrs until after Chuck works on his feet on Thursday. Can you see his beautiful blue eyes? We think he's going to be more beautiful as time goes on and he seems to be quite tame.

SkyeA.jpg

Skye12-9-08.jpg

SkyeB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
default_new_shocked.gif
I cant believe how many burrs are in his mane.......poor fella. And his feet...I don't know how he can stand.
default_no.gif

I am so glad that between the 2 of you, got him him out of those woods. I cant wait to see more pics. And yes, photobucket has its "moments" LOL.

He's a cute little guy and so lucky to have a new place to spend the winter. My farrier and I were talking about getting burrs out (I've got wayyyy too many of them here) and he said any kind of oil works - baby oil, Pam cooking spray, mineral oil, etc... I've heard of people using WD-40 but since it's a petroleum product I tend to stay with the other oils. It is amazing how much easier it is to get them out once there's a good coat of oil on the hair. I found that if I use a braiding pick (one of those 3 pronged, fork looking thingys) it helps too. Got a bunch I've got to get out of my horses forelocks right now.

I think he is going to be a really nice looking horse and glad to hear he now has wonderful people looking after him. Can't wait to see all the after photos.

I've heard that virgin olive oil works wonders on manes and tails and will get almost anything out. Let me know if it works.

Ruth

on the bur end of things if you can get some cowboy magic is the easiest stuff to get burs out i have quite a few horses that think its funny to come in with burrs all over them i use a little of that and they slide right out and condition the mane at the same time you can get it at any tack store i beleive, you did a wonderful thing by taking in that pony, good luck with him

my heart is melting, he is cute as a button. got a long road ahead of him, but he will be worth it and he will love you forever. i would just roach his mane and let it start all over at an even growth. gosh. he is cute as a button. good luck

He's really a pretty boy! Can't wait to see his feet in better condition. He really does have a ton of burrs, I think I might be tempted to do like Angela said and just roach off his mane instead of putting him thru the hassle of getting thru all those burrs. It will grow back quick. Either way he is a lovely boy and he is sure going to have a better life now that you have him.
default_wub.png

Oh sweet boy....bless your heart....scissor the mane? you can probably save the forelock but oh he is so beautiful and so sweet.

Bless you both and bless that sweet little guy. How sad his life was but how great it will now be.
default_wub.png

He's going to think he's woken up in "HORSEY HEAVEN"!!!
default_wub.png

We are constantly battling stickers in our horses' manes. And yes, just about any kind of oil works....and a lot of patience.

there's a product called "Healthy Hair Care" that does wonders for burs. i've also had people tell me that WD40 will take them out although i've never tried it. doesn't sound too safe to me.

he's just adorable and bless you for taking him in!!!

Poor lil fella, thank goodness he is in a safe place now. I can't to see him after he is cleaned up. He looks to be real pretty.

there's a product called "Healthy Hair Care" that does wonders for burs.
Love the Healthy Hair products.

My husband's AQHA mare had horrible wind-knots in her mane (extremely thick and long mane); before detangling I cut her mane to about half the length, and then went to work on the wind knots, by the time she was all untangled, her mane looked natural but shorter. [The half-length was so much easier to untangle, than trying to get the wind-knots out of her full mane, and it looked pretty good when all done.]

He's sure an handsome boy Marnie! Avon's Skin SO Soft works wonders on getting burrs out, even those as bad as what he has there. (been there, done that with some horses I was selling on consignment some years back)

He's a lovely little guy! But oh my, what a LOT of burs and those feet... I hope the farier can help him get his feet back to normal fairly quickly.

Oh he's cute! I'm with the couple others that said to roach his mane. I love his colors/markings. Is he gelded? You'll have him looking great in no time.

Marnie, Bless your heart for getting him... And Bonnie for telling you about this sweet little soul..

I cant wait to see after pix of him. he will be so happy to actually have someone take care of him, love him, etc..

Missy
default_smile.png

I had a rescue years ago that had burrs in her mane, tail and BODY!!
default_new_shocked.gif
It hurt her to move! I started with cowboy magic but after 3 bottles I changed to baby oil!!
default_wink.png
Go to the dollar store and buy as many as you can and soak his hair with it for a day before you start to comb it out!! Ours was in the winter also and we did have to shave a few spots but that was on her body and because she was raw from the burrs!! After letting her mane and tail soak for that day we were able to comb the burrs right out easily!!
default_smile.png

Good Luck he is a cutie!!

Latest posts

Back