I took my puppies to the beach

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Hugs

Reaction score
This weekend my husband and I took our puppies to the beach for their first visit.

They really loved running in the sand and surf. Mandy (the older one) was scared to death of surf boards, though, so we had to stay away from surfers.
biggrin.gif

Here they are on the beach with my husband:

DSC06083web.jpg

and running with my sister-in-law:

DSC06090web.jpg

and posing for the camera:

DSC06091web.jpg

I really love shelties. I don't think I have ever had so much fun with puppies before.

They just have such wonderful personalities
wub.gif

I have a question, though, for anyone with experience with shelties. Do you train their ears? Both of my dogs ears folded over perfectly when I first got them but now they each have one ear that stands up straight. I have looked into the different methods of training their ears and I was wondering what other people felt worked best. Any suggestions?

Sandy

What great pictures!! Thank you for sharing.

Many Shelties have ears that won't fold by themselves. Breeders use double sided tape, adhesive, glue--any number of things to "train" them. I have no problem with that if it's done right and monitored--I had to do my puppy's ears and it worked just fine--and he tolerated it with no problem.

Dr.Pam,

Did you use glue or moleskin tape?

The breeder I bought Austin from uses fabric glue and glues a couple hairs from the top of the ear to a couple of hairs at the bottom on his show dogs but I couldn't get it to hold. The breeder I bought Mandy from uses moleskin tape and glues it on. I was too scared to do this- I was afraid it might pull off skin later?

Sandy

Oh Sandy, aren't they adorable!
wub.gif
How are you feeling these days. You sound happy. How is Miata doing? Hugs all the way from NY.

the sheltie breeder I know used to use elmers glue and a coin (quarter for a difficult ear and a nickel for an easy ear) ..I know sheperd breeders who also use elmers glue to keep a lazy ear up......and a chow breeder who has used elmers to keep up a heavy leathered ear........seems elmers is quite popular (that or just handy
biggrin.gif
)

Shelties really are a wondeful breed ofdogs. Intelligent and loyal. I raised Shelties for a number of years about 20 years ago...oh how rime flies. Ears can be a problem because if they don't tip naturally, they will need help while they are young. Wish I could remember all the tricks to get them to stay over but what is done is adding some weight to the tips and then adding a softening agent to the inside of the ear about half way up. I recall the handlers even added lead to the tips for weight. Love the pics of the beach. Mary

Horse Hugs said:
This weekend my husband and I took our puppies to the beach for their first visit.They really loved running in the sand and surf. Mandy (the older one) was scared to death of surf boards, though, so we had to stay away from surfers.
biggrin.gif

Here they are on the beach with my husband:

DSC06083web.jpg

and running with my sister-in-law:

DSC06090web.jpg

and posing for the camera:

DSC06091web.jpg

I really love shelties. I don't think I have ever had so much fun with puppies before.

They just have such wonderful personalities 
wub.gif

I have a question, though, for anyone with experience with shelties. Do you train their ears? Both of my dogs ears folded over perfectly when I first got them but now they each have one ear that stands up straight. I have looked into the different methods of training their ears and I was wondering what other people felt worked best. Any suggestions?

Sandy

469725[/snapback]

When I was young my family had a collie and I remember my Mom putting the lead weights on her ears to make them tip over. It didn't work, though. One of the breeders I talked to said that they used lead weights on the ears in the old days but they found out that the weights actually strengthened the ear and when you took the weights off- up went the ears, straighter than ever
biggrin.gif

I think I am going to try the fabric glue again. I probably just need to use more- I was a bit nervous about doing it first time around.
no.gif

You can do what you want- it will bother the dog, but it will not bother the ears!! They will tip over or they won't, once the pup has stopped teething.
smile.gif
It is true some breeders do all the games- it makes no difference in the long run- the only time it is relevant is up to two minutes before you go in the ring- the ears will stay down long enough for the average show!! The big pup looks far more like a Rough Collie than a Sheltie, and they do have more problems as the ear is slightly more folded- or supposed to be
rolleyes.gif

Mona,

Thats too funny
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

They probably really are thinking that!!!!

Back