I think I am an idiot!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pretty mare, I really like her. He sounds like a typical "horse trader" who doesn't much care about his animals , they are just a commodity to be bought and sold. Hope your girl settles in and gets used to being treated like a queen LOL. If I were you, I'd have a vet out and give her a good once over, pull a Coggins asap if you didn't get a recent one, have her teeth checked, and maybe a pregnancy check just in case.

Good luck with her, she is lovely.

Jan

i definatley think Pandora ,like Pandora the greek person, should be her name
default_smile.png
shes just gorgeous even in her whoolies!

Hey everyone! Thanks for all your kind words. I am feeling a little better about it this morning. She broke my stall door last night but she seemed relieved when I let her out in the pattock this morning.

Jill, it makes me feel really good when you say you would love to have my horses in your show string AND breeding program!!!
default_wub.png
I really respect your opinion and admire your program and horses in the program. Every one of you has made me feel so much better about the situation
default_yes.gif

Ok we want a daily update on this Beauty!! What is her name??

Keep us informed Brandi
default_biggrin.png

When I wean the foals from my mares, I cut the mares feed back to about 1/3 of what they were getting to help with the drying up period. They get only good quality grass (orchard) hay. No alfalfa. Then when they are dried up, I will slowly increase the feed, adjusting it to wether they were chubby or thin when they were nursing. If my mares bag swells up and looks uncomfortable, I just rub a bag balm cream on it, you can get it at most any feed store. But your new mare may or may not like having her udder touched. Take it slowly with her and see if she will let you touch it at all 1st. Most horses like having their bellies rubbed, so then I move toward the udder to see how they tolerate it. You can also run water on the udder to get some relief, however, it may be to cold in your climate for that,, I know it is here in NC!

When I wean the foals from my mares, I cut the mares feed back to about 1/3 of what they were getting to help with the drying up period. They get only good quality grass (orchard) hay. No alfalfa. Then when they are dried up, I will slowly increase the feed, adjusting it to wether they were chubby or thin when they were nursing. If my mares bag swells up and looks uncomfortable, I just rub a bag balm cream on it, you can get it at most any feed store. But your new mare may or may not like having her udder touched. Take it slowly with her and see if she will let you touch it at all 1st. Most horses like having their bellies rubbed, so then I move toward the udder to see how they tolerate it. You can also run water on the udder to get some relief, however, it may be to cold in your climate for that,, I know it is here in NC!

She won't even let me get near her unless I corner her in the stall. I don't think rubbing her bag is an option at this time. She still seems stressed so I am just leaving her alone at this time. I did go out and sit with her and Melody for an hour or so. Once I moved into Melody's side of the pen the mare did come closer but wanted nothing to do with me touching her. If you barely move your hand in her direction she turns her head and neck all the way around. She can tolerate her body being touched but not her face. And like I said, in order to touch her body I have to get her in a small area where she can't leave. I wish I had two stalls but I don't. I have Melody back in her stall with a little turnout again and the mare is in the pattock. Melody looked quite dreadful from her stay outside last night. She even had two nats in her mane
default_no.gif
She didn't seem to mind at all though. She's a trooper
default_yes.gif
The mare doesn't have shelter but she didn't have shelter where she was at either. It will just be for a few days until they can be turned out together and then they will both have free access to the shelter. I must say that I am quite bewildered by the chemistry out there. It's almost like they have known each other for a long time. The mare turns her ears back and squeels at Melody every once in awhile but otherwise things seem really good. The mare is EXTREMELY tired. While I was sitting out there she just stood and napped. She probably didn't get much sleep last night. She was too busy climbing the walls and breaking the door
default_rolleyes.gif
She is eating though and I have seen her drink a teeny bit. I gave her a small amount of grain with some salt in it to encourage her to drink. Tonight I will give her a little more grain with Probios mixed in it. I don't think I will deworm her just yet. I would like to see her settled in and not looking stressed. I am going to call the vets office first thing tomorrow and schedule an appointment for him to come check her out and give her the appropriate vaccinations. She may also need her teeth floated. The shoer was just out 2 days ago to trim Melody but I am going to see if he will come out again this week because she desperately needs her feet cleaned up. I have no idea how that will go. The guy I bought her from did pick up one of her front feet when he was here so I know it is at least doable. I still haven't decided on a name yet :DOH!

DSC05192.jpg

DSC05194.jpg

DSC05197.jpg

Miss Melody just wanted to let everyone know that she is still #1

DSC05202.jpg

I would of taken both of them, was the little one weaned? he never was away from his mother thats probly why he acted like that, when we took our little one away from its mother to wean her she tried climbing the walls to, she just about went nuts, I wonder how that little colt is being treat now that mom is not with him?

I would of told that man off the way he treated the baby. He shouldn't have horses.

The baby is listed on craiglist again so he must have made it home with him after the bump on the head. Poor little guy. He is probably so lonesome without his mommie
default_no.gif
If anyone is in the area and interested he is in the Modesto, CA craigslist, farm and garden section. I have better pics of him then what are shown. I hope someone gives him a loving home. I wish I could have got them both.

Brandi, I got a mare this past summer that was exactly like that. Except much, much worse. My farrier said that she was the worst horse he'd ever seen or experienced, big or little, about touching her legs and feet. She would literally explode, kicking, striking and biting. He told me I'd probably always have to muzzle her when I handled her legs...IF I could get her to where we could handle the legs without sedation. Her feet were very, very bad. I had the vet out and we had to give her 5x normal sedation dose before we could get her feet done and she was STILL fighting. He told me if I could get her to where we could trim her like a normal horse, I should be selling DVDs. Four months later I asked him if he wanted to be my DVD distributor. LOL!

It took me a couple of months to really get her to a point where we were friends. I could NOT have done it without clicker training, I really believe that. She nickers every time I look at her now. If I touch her leg in a certain way, she politely lifts her leg and holds it up for you. Without even having a halter on. She never bites or pins her ears anymore. I still can't move fast around her and she does have some old pattern behavior, like if I go into her stall with the wheelbarrow, she turns to leave out the paddock door, then remembers, "Oh yeah, I don't have to do that." My farrier and vet are blown away by the difference in her behavior. It was not an overnight task but not terribly difficult either. I started with targeting over the door. We had to have a barrier between us for her to feel safe at first. It took me about a month to be able to touch her neck. Once we passed that hurdle, things moved along fairly quickly. She had a foal at her side, which complicated things. She was a little protective and the foal was very forward and friendly. SHE learned the targeting game in about one minute flat, little sweetheart.

I highly recommend it for someone in your position. It is a very forgiving training method. You really can't make mistakes that can't be undone pretty easily. Take a look at this introductory guide: http://www.theclickercenter.com/2004/guide/guide00.php You do not need any particular tools, just be able to make a distinct pop noise with your tongue against the roof of your mouth. You can use pretty much anything as a target. Here is another resource: http://www.clickryder.com and http://www.clickertraining.com

My two main tips for new clicker trainers are:

1. Treat your horse AWAY from your body. Extend your hand all the way out.

2. Keep your hand out of the treat pouch/pocket (aka cookie jar! :) until AFTER you click. Don't even move your hand in that direction. This is pretty important, because if you start making a habit of moving toward your pocket before a click they will be thinking more about watching your hand then performing the behavior you are after. So be "clean/crisp" with your movement and action.

Good luck with your mare. If you do well with her, maybe you would feel up to working with that colt. ;) Your mare is a real stunner, and with a little work on your part will be a great partner.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the tips Amy
default_yes.gif
I will look at those websites and do some reading. Sounds like you had your hands full
default_unsure.png
I just can't believe how fast this mare is taking to me. This morning she didn't even take a step away from me when I stepped towards her. She still twitched every time I would stroke her back but sometimes she doesn't do that. I think it just depends on how relaxed she is. I think it helps that she can see how Melody is with me. There is no fear, just fun and friendship.

Well, see? You are already miles ahead of where I was when I started.
default_biggrin.png
Can't wait to see how you progress with your pretty new girl.
default_laugh.png

Brandi she is just gorgeous! i wouldn't have been able to send her back with that guy either!! patience and a calm voice and when you can get hands on her gentle and firm... she will come around! food works wonders too... have you named her yet?

Susan! Thanks so much!!!! I can actually touch her now. She seems to enjoy it at times and others she just keeps walking away. I am hoping she will learn how much fun we can all have together
default_yes.gif
I named her Kya.

I love the name, she's a real beauty.
default_yes.gif
Congratulations!

Hi GlacierRidge!

Kya is doing well but she is still really mean to Melody. It is a lot better then when she first came but still a very big cause for concern. I am still keeping them separate except when I can supervise. Kya is either pushing Melody around, trying to kick and bite her or completely ignoring her. A lady had came to look at her a few weeks ago but I told her I wasn't sure I wanted to sell her because I know Kya wasn't showing well at all. She wants to do therapy work but is concerned about Kya's jumpyness. Well she emailed me yesterday to see how things were going and I told her that I would consider selling Kya to her if she wanted her. She is supposed to come out this week and spend some time getting to know Kya. This lady was so gentle and I know she would do well with her:) Kya is breath taking but I have to remind myself that beauty is not the reason I bought another mini. I wanted a nice companion for Miss Melody and it's just not working. This lady has a couple bigger horses and I think Kya will do really well with them
default_yes.gif
She won't be able to push them around quite so much....I hope
default_wink.png
She has a haflinger mare, and two arabians. Kya is like a dream horse look wise. She just needs to transform herself into a gelding now and have an attitude adjustment lol
default_wink.png
Here are two pics that I haven't posted on the forum. I have posted a WHOLE bunch in the picture forum just in case you missed them. I even posted two videos. Thanks so much for thinking of us
default_wub.png

DSC05582.jpg

DSC05583.jpg

Man I want this mare, and I am with Jill 100% I could see her hitting Nationals if she was registered! She is stunning and will come around in time. If you feel selling her is best, then do so
default_smile.png
Again I ike her! Too bad about her colt though, my heart goes out to all involved.
default_sad.png

What a cutie! She's gorgeous! I'm sure glad she found a home with you! Poor thing! 8 month old colt still on her???? Probably would have gotten his mother pregnant soon too! Dang irresponisble people! :DOH! She looks like she's coming around to you! Congrats!!!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back