I really need some input

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartkranch

Reaction score
This all started about 2 months ago when I brought the dwarf home ( a friend that breeds gave her to me), after 2 weeks of being in my care she had 4 or 5 seizures before the vet arrived. She wouldn't stand but when she tried she would have another. We gave her fluids and b12, and some other things to help. She was fine after.

Move up to last week, I was giving her a pill like normal that the vet gave, She was being a butt, but she tried to run away and she had one.

Well yesterday I was letting all 5 foals(not including the dwarf) run around outside, 2 had it, both were running and bucking like normal foals and they fell over and starting having seizures.

I called the vet and he said they might not be getting enough minerals, so he said to try that, strip the stall, he said to get new water every day(which is normal), switch feed, new buckets, and try different hay. He said that its very unlikely that my barn would have something in it since there are 6 others that havent had any signs, but to not take the chance.

He also said with all those changes see if that helps after a couple of weeks. I'm truly worried and don't understand. They are all the same age, completely different breeding. One was born here, then the dwarf was given to my by a friend, and the other I bought about 1 months ago. Neither of the other people have seen the horses have them.

can anyone can help me?

OMG Kara, that isn't good! I would think it had to be something they've eaten.

Is the wood of their barn treated or painted? Can they have licked or chewed on it and gotten poisoned?

Can coons or possums have peed on the hay and caused EPM or something?

Does it happen only when they are moving?

I sure hope you find answers!!! Poor babies

It sounds environmental or neurological disease that's spreading. Have they all been vaccinated for the WNV and VEWT?

yes they have in the last month, but we haven't had mosquitos at all because of no rain anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Kara, that isn't good! I would think it had to be something they've eaten.

Is the wood of their barn treated or painted? Can they have licked or chewed on it and gotten poisoned?

Can coons or possums have peed on the hay and caused EPM or something?

Does it happen only when they are moving?

I sure hope you find answers!!! Poor babies
no just plywood thats been there for many years, through many horses... I highly doubt they have EPM because of the signs isn't anything like what I'm having to deal with.

Poor you this sounds very frightening. Could you get your hay and food checked for fungus?

I am sending prayers

Renee

Poor you this sounds very frightening. Could you get your hay and food checked for fungus?

I am sending prayers

Renee
The grain is the same but usually bought at different stores, so I don't see how that would line up either? If it was grain then it would be the same batch but it isn't?

The hay would be causing more then just the weanlings problems? I know the hay is fine besides the alfalfa that I got from the feed store, but they get it from a good supplier. I did just call and they said it was tested.

I don't know what to do
default_sad.png

Forgive me if you've already stated this:

Are ALL the horses on your property suffering from seizures or JUST the weanlings?

I'm assuming the weanlings are separated from the rest of the horses? If so, there must be something where they are at that is causing it and not the others. I would go through everything and switch the pen they're in. Anything that they're exposed to that the other horses aren't should be suspect.

I'm very sorry and hope you find out what's causing it soon!

If I was the vet I would take blood work just to see whats going on here. To me it sounds like its something they have gotten into. Are all your horses together? Are the weanlings seperated from everybody else? Is there anything possibly poisonous growing in your fields?

The dwarf could just have been natural causes since dwarfs health aren't very good to begin with, but with the weanlings having issues defintelly sends a red flag. Since the vet doesn't think they are getting enough minerals what are they current getting. Explain what their diets are like. Is everybody sharing the same food or are the weanlings and the dwarf getting something the others aren't. Any small thing can help. Is the dwarf getting a different diet then the weanlings?

Forgive me if you've already stated this:

Are ALL the horses on your property suffering from seizures or JUST the weanlings?
Just weanlings, all they other 20 are getting fed the same, and no one else is having problems. 2 normal foals, and one dwarf. None are every closely related, or by the same breeder. If that helps any?

I'm assuming the weanlings are separated from the rest of the horses? If so, there must be something where they are at that is causing it and not the others. I would go through everything and switch the pen they're in. Anything that they're exposed to that the other horses aren't should be suspect.

I'm very sorry and hope you find out what's causing it soon!
They aren't exposed to any thing else that the others inside the barn isn't exposed to. i will try switching pens with a stallion and put him outside.

Yes they are separated from the others, but either side of the walls are stallions, none of them are having seizures.

Is everyone in the same area or in seperate pastures/pens/stalls? If its just the weanlings, you'll have to isolate what just the weanlings have exposure to. It may be a disease process that the older horses are immune to.

Are there any red maple trees on your property or neighboring properties that leaves could have blown in? Yew shrubs, etc, that may have been trimmed and some of it gotten into their area? Since weanlings are smaller than the older horses it wouldn't take as much to affect them, and with maple leaves it doesn't take much at all as it is. Is the area where they are turned out near where neigbhors or passers-by could be throwing things over the fence that they could be eating? Someone I know has lost three horses from what they suspect is that very thing. I'm guessing that there aren't any weeds left because of the drought that they could be getting into?

I really hope that you can find the cause of this. Maybe your vet could come out and take a look around for possible culprits? Scary stuff!

If it's more then one, move them ASAP! Poisons that can cause seizures are: strchnine, anti freexe, insectasides, moldy corn poisoning, locoweed, rye grass, and heavy metals. Hypocalcemia (low calcuim levels0 produces seizures as well, but are usually caused by lacatation, and happen with the mare, other thins can cause seizures are blister beetle poisnoning, urea posioning, and heat stroke. Pleas excuse misspelled words, typing too fast. So worried, Get VEt out! remove all hay and don't feed the grain you have, buy new grain. As said before move the horses to some where else, even if they have to stay in a stall. God Bless, and hope for a good outcome.

If I was the vet I would take blood work just to see whats going on here. To me it sounds like its something they have gotten into. Are all your horses together? Are the weanlings seperated from everybody else? Is there anything possibly poisonous growing in your fields?

The dwarf could just have been natural causes since dwarfs health aren't very good to begin with, but with the weanlings having issues defintelly sends a red flag. Since the vet doesn't think they are getting enough minerals what are they current getting. Explain what their diets are like. Is everybody sharing the same food or are the weanlings and the dwarf getting something the others aren't. Any small thing can help. Is the dwarf getting a different diet then the weanlings?

All the weanling are together. 2 of the 5 have it, besides the dward. Who like you thinks its because she is a dwarf.

All the miniatures besides 2 older ones (28 and 24) get omelene 200, alfalfa, and coastal. The weanlings share the same buckets, water buckets and everything. They haven't been in a field to get sick from, when they are outside I sit on the fence or clean stalls, 90% of the time watching them, they usually run and sleep.

The vet thinks its because they aren't getting minerals? But could it be low sugar also?

I don't know about heartkranch, but I know here which is further south all we have is weeds (there is something completely unfair about that too). But that is a good point, are there any weeds or other plants the weanlings can get to that the other horses can't?

weanlings11.jpg

This is what their pen looks like. The bay and white and the black and white with his head in the food bowls are the ones out of the group that are having them.

Is everyone in the same area or in seperate pastures/pens/stalls? If its just the weanlings, you'll have to isolate what just the weanlings have exposure to. It may be a disease process that the older horses are immune to.
All the weanlings are in the same pen, so I might move the ones that have seizures away from the other to prevent others to get it.

I don't know about heartkranch, but I know here which is further south all we have is weeds (there is something completely unfair about that too). But that is a good point, are there any weeds or other plants the weanlings can get to that the other horses can't?
No, not at all. My hay came from up north, Kansas.

All the weanling are together. 2 of the 5 have it, besides the dward. Who like you thinks its because she is a dwarf.

All the miniatures besides 2 older ones (28 and 24) get omelene 200, alfalfa, and coastal. The weanlings share the same buckets, water buckets and everything. They haven't been in a field to get sick from, when they are outside I sit on the fence or clean stalls, 90% of the time watching them, they usually run and sleep.

The vet thinks its because they aren't getting minerals? But could it be low sugar also?
OK! If it is low minerals try offering them a bucket of water that has electrolites added. If they need the extra minerals they will drink it, but syptems of low levels of electrolites are prsented more like thumps, looks like they have the hiccups, then they have the seizures. I think it is something in the hay, feed, or in their paddock. Move them, Please.

Latest posts

Back