I really need advice you guys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feather1414

Reaction score
So a few people have heard my story, but I need to figure out what to do so I don't scream and go on a roommate killing rampage.

So my basic living situation is that it is my boyfriend and I, and then we live with 3 other roommates, 3 girls and a guy. In Fort Collins, there is a law where no more than 3 unrelated people can live in a house together. We are quite obviously breaking that rule, and my boyfriend and I are not on the lease. The landlords don't even we are here. Levi -my boyfriend - and I have been living here for 8 months and we are so fed up, I am practically in tears of frustration as I write this.

I don't even know where to start. Maybe the fact that none of our bills are paid on time, we have no trash service - and haven't for 2 months now, or maybe the fact that I hate how we are treated.

To start with the overview of the bills, since we aren't on the lease, our names aren't on any of the bills. We every month we are told how much to pay, and we give them a check for that amount. Most of the time we don't even see the bill which I know is stupid but trust me when I say it's better to just go along with it then bring it up considering past events.

Every month, all of our bills are late, and most of the time we are at least 2 months past due. That's pretty strange considering we give them our part of the money on time, and yet the bills still aren't paid. It has gotten to the point where we are getting final notices in red letters literally every other month. Don't know what they are doing with that money, and considering when we ask them, they tell us its none of our business, and then it turns into a screaming match about how "personal" matters aren't apart of bills. That part makes no sense to me. Oh, and Levi and I have tried calling the company to figure out what we owed them in the first place, and dates on the bills. Since we weren't going to lie, we gave them our real names and explained our situation and in the end the companies -notice the plural there- called them personally and they took it as we are "snooping" on them.

We haven't had and trash pick up for two months now and yes, it is as bad as you are thinking. We didn't notice until the 2nd week when the first weeks trash was still in the trashcan. When we talked to our roommate, it turns out that for once she did pay the bill, but the company didn't acknowledge the payment, and they are trying to charge us late and inactivity fees in addition to the next bill. She would only have to go down to the bank and get a copy of that statement, but she has almost entirely not left our computer room because she is too busy playing World of Warcraft. Levi and I are the ONLY ones who clean any part of the house, or do dishes and when we ran out of trashbags, we decided we weren't going to be the ones to buy the next round, since we buy everything else too. It got so bad my parents had to buy them for me as a christmas present. We were using typical grocery bags, but they are honestly too lazy to put their trash in it, and would simply throw it into the empty trash can. Every night either Levi or I would take all the trash they threw into the empty can, and put it into little bags and take it out to the garage. After about 3 weeks, I got so sick of doing this I took the whole trash can to the garage and I left it out there. Levi and I went to work the next day, and then slept at a friends house and when we came home there was a pile of trash on the floor...where the trash can would be.

They haven't touched the dishes, and we have tried to idea to hold out until its either too gross, or until there are no dishes left. This doesn't work. You can see by the pictures that it JUST DOESN'T WORK. THEY WILL PICK OUT THE LEAST DIRTY OF THE DISHES AND REUSE THEM!!!!!

The house is a constant mess because they will not pick anything up. When we got back from spending 4 days with our families for Christmas, when we came home, there was so much trash in front of our bedroom door we had to move it before we could get in.

Levi and I are the only couple in the house, and we have the second smallest bedroom. We have a dresser, a full-sized bed and a small tv stand. Our floor space from the door to the dresser isn't even the length of a yoga mat. We don't even have a closet. Its the pantry to the kitchen that for someone goes through into our bedroom. Luckily its supposed to be an office or something because we have about a million shelves.

It's not so bad anymore, but they used to throw huge parties every weekend. Since we have the only downstairs bedroom, the whole party would migrate into the room in front of ours and keep us up until 5 am or later. Keep in mind that is after working 9 am to midnight on a friday, then we would come home to that party.

One of the worst parts though is that our male roommate is about the dirtiest, waste of human I have ever met. He works a maximum of 12 hours at week, at a computer desk job, and then the rest of the time he is playing World of Warcraft. He showers once and week and in the 8 months we have lived here, he has done laundry TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He only owns MAYBE 5 pairs of pants, and maybe 7 shirts...maximum. He smells like he is dying. The only time he will brush his teeth is during his once a week shower. I got so mad at him that one day when I was taking a bath I cleaned the grout on the bathtub with his toothbrush. It's so gross he honestly wouldn't have even noticed.

They smoke like chimneys, watch the tv as loud as it will go, which is literally right in front of our room. We have no respect. We have quite a few movies in our room, and even when we lock our door, we will come home to find the closet/pantry door open and our movies missing. Most of the time we come home and they say "oh, we borrowed this movie, I hope thats ok" No it's not ok. We NEVER go into their rooms without their permission, and we don't use their stuff without asking - EVER.

We are looking for a new apartment right now because I can't stay here until July. The stress from living here is so bad I'm sick all the time, almost constantly in tears and I just can't do this. We will give them our thirty days notice.

My mom suggested that for that last month we tell them that they take our rent out of the security deposit they have. Then with the utilities and other bills, they can subtract the amount I paid for the pet deposit from that amount and I will pay the remainder. I think you guys will be able to tell from the pictures that I am not making any of this up. And keep in mind that even though these pictures look bad, this is actually when the house is decently clean. It has been much worse.

031.jpg

Our living room, notice all the crud everywhere.

030.jpg

029.jpg

028.jpg

The room they moved the furniture out of to make room for their desks to constantly play World of Warcraft.

026.jpg

027.jpg

The trash that was in front of our bedroom door. Thats the door you see there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Sounds pretty bad. I would suggest you try and find a place for just you and your boyfriend, then you can know bills are being paid and you can keep the house the way you would like it to be. I am not trying to be rude or anything, but I don't understand why you would stay living there under the circumstances you are describing. No one should have to put up with what you are going through. Not sure if it is strictly for financial reasons, but it sounds like you are being taken advantage of big time because your names are not on the lease and the room mates know it. I think the faster you get out the better. Good Luck.

Aw Man I'm with cricket! Get the heck out of Dodge!!! Why waste your time and energy on something that makes you miserable plus you don't really know where your money is going....... I'd move! Life is soooo short don't spend it upset and worring, find a new place!

Good luck hon!

Leya

It looks like your starting to grow up and they are not! Its time to find a small place somewhere for your boyfriend and yourself and be responsible for your own things. Goodluck, God knows its not easy! My now hubby and I lived in some not so nice places! We even had our 1st apartment and had to DUCK the entire time we used the bathrooms and kitchen, it was a 3rd floor slanted old home! Goodluck it will work, take a leap, but stay within your means.

You already know what you have to do. Good luck in your search for a new place. Life is too short to spend it unhappily.

I can relate with you about the party thing. Me and my boyfriend moved into our first apartment about seven months ago. We had a basement apartment, a younger couple with one 2 year old son owned the house and lived up stairs. They told us when we were looking at the apartment that is was only the three of them up there......well it turns out she had 18 brothers and sisters that came over and visited every weekend all weekend and stayed up until 5am!!! A baby crying we can deal with but 18 people plus our landlords and a crying baby...not so much.

We were only there for 2 months, we gave our 30 days notice after just a few weeks.

I think you and your boyfriend need to look for your own place, just like others have already said. Or maybe find a house with more mature roommates? Me and my boyfriend live an apartment building now, We are the youngest people in the building so it's very quite in here unless "upstairs guy" drops something
default_laugh.png

Well as someone else said you know what you have to do....move out, it's that simple. It will be tough financially as I'm sure that's why you have roommates in the first place. This living arrangement is probably why you've had the health problems you've had lately...stress. Stress can really run down your body and make you very ill. Take care of yourself and get out of there!

What in the world is "World of Warcraft"?

It's good that you are looking for a new place. It's time.

My first apartment was a house that was divided into small apartments. I didn't know what I was doing. I just wanted to live on my own.

Picture a house with the first level having the owner and another couple living up there.... there were two apartments downstairs. At first I chose the one side of the basement apartment that was a big open area... it was cheaper... well there was NO privacy and the bathroom.. you had to go upstairs to share the bathroom with the rest of the house.....

I decided on the second apartment which was set up as a true apartment. Had a bedroom, kitchen, living room/dining room and bathroom... maybe 400-500 square feet. It was quite nice or so I thought.... there was a washer/dryer in there and never thought anything of it..... I came home one day... my cat was all upset which was unusual... I go in my room there were foot prints around my bed and it was obviously a man's prints.... then I went into the kitchen where the washer/dryer was and there were a pair of mens gloves sitting on the dryer... I opened the dryer.. there was clothes in there. Now panic has set in.... I went to the owner(he was about 80 years old)... he told me that the washer and dryer were for everyones use. NO WAY! He came into my apartment without asking. He never once told me that the washer/dryer was all of their use. I paid a lot more rent than anyone else. He also, had race horses at his house. He had the trainer living in a camper on stilts outside(he wasn't there when I moved in)..... Someone tried to break into my apartment at one point... we are pretty sure it was him. Within a month I was gone. Moved to a much better situation.

Good luck and I hope you find a new home soon.

Kim

If you aren't on the lease or any of the bills for that address, get the heck out of there. I wouldn't worry about rent or bills from the day you move out on, regardless of what time of month it is (you aren't on the lease, its really not your problem, and it sounds like you've already been taken advantage of by your roommates).

I know housing can be scary, but if you guys have a car, look in the surrounding areas. Loveland is lovely, Laporte is nice, Wellington has some nice neighborhoods and their are other close communities you could probably find a decent rental in; then if you have to, find a 3rd person to help with rent. [When I was in CO, I lived in Loveland and worked in Ft Collins; its not a bad commute. I did live on the north end of Loveland, and worked on the south end of Ft Collins, so that helped.]

It sounds like you are trying to be much nicer to these slobs than you should be. It sounds like you and your boyfriend have your priorities in order and

the rest of the crowd in the house doesn't.

I would say if your names are not on the lease & you are not named on any of the bills, I would be looking for another place asap. Look at it this way, if your roommates are not paying the bills on time, or at all, you all may need to find another place sooner than you would like......and it sounds like it's their fault for not following through on what they said they would...which is pay the bills & pay them on time.

Sorry to seem blunt, but you guys need to look out for yourselves......start searching the ads in the paper or craigslist......there are places to rent, and trust me it sounds like you and your boyfriend like to be tidy and be responsible, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a place. Sure, it could be smaller, but wouldn't it be worth it, less stress to deal with?

Good luck to you both...hope you figure something out soon.........but start looking...the sooner the better!

Thanks guys.

We have 2 places to look at tomorrow, and I have e-mailed about a million other places. It's going to be difficult because we can't spend that much, but I sure am trying.

You guys really think that once we tell them we are leaving we shouldn't worry about paying any more bills? That sounds like it is almost asking for more trouble.

Hi,

Hope you find a place soon. If you were in NE I know of a acreage that is vacant and you could even have your minis there! Best of luck!

Thanks guys.
We have 2 places to look at tomorrow, and I have e-mailed about a million other places. It's going to be difficult because we can't spend that much, but I sure am trying.

You guys really think that once we tell them we are leaving we shouldn't worry about paying any more bills? That sounds like it is almost asking for more trouble.

Personally, I wouldn't even tell them. Pack your stuff and go.

Lucy

Well it depends...do you want to continue a relationship with these people? It is probably best that you do pay for the time you were there, but your names are not on any of the papers and they have not kept up with their parts of the bargain either...it's a sticky situation.

You will be so happy when you get your own place and I'm betting your health problems will disappear as well.

Latest posts

Back