I needed a place to grumble...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
On Halloween I took our gelding out driving wtih the kids. A neighbor brought out her old touchy mare. When we stopped she asked if she could drive the gelding, and assured me, she KNEW HOW TO DRIVE! So I moved over and handed her his reigns, and said, "Go ahead!". Well, she pulled the reigns really tight.. did the loopy thing with them in her hands.

THEN SHE STARTS CLUCKING LIKE A CHICKEN! SHE DID THAT ABOUT TEN TIMES! I kept trying to tell her... one cluck, he walks, two he trots and three or more, he has NO CLUE WHAT YOU WANT! So she starts of giving him TWO CLUCKS! Well, the boy jumped into a trot... it wasn't pretty. He was ready to break into a cantor when I took the reins from her. Grrrr...

So I asked her to get off, and the next thing I know, she adjusting all his tack!!!! Grrrrrrr... I asked her.. NOT to change anything, as it was how the trainer had set it... but she wanted to see his head held high... SCENES OF BLACK BEAUTY!!!!

YIKES

So I just needed to grumble today..

Thanks...

Lynn W

:no: There seems to always be people who think they can take liberties with a person's horse(s)

We have more than once had people suggest they can come and ride our large horses to exercise them for us if we are too busy (like they'd be doing us a favour!) always assuring us they know how to ride. One of them I know for sure is the type of person who would get out of sight on the trail and drive the horse into a full gallop without any kind of a warmup, bring it back hot and sweating and dump it back in the stall that way. Unless I know a person well and that they are experienced, I refuse to allow them access to our horses. I use insurance as a reason, which is partly true, we are not covered for "rental" use, and I use that as my excuse, even though it is not money changing hands kind of rental.

...must add, this is different from someone who is actually wanting to spend time with the animals, willing and wanting to learn, and not acting like they already know it all. Those are the good kind
default_smile.png

I would have been really upset, too!

Also, I remember when H first started riding "my" (our...) big horses, I used to get so mad at him for the reins through his fist and his ground pointing toes but he just insists he knows how to ride (he had a pony as a kid...).

Of course sometimes it runs the opposite way...I've let someone else besides my mother or an instructor drive my horse precisely once, and I was cracking up going "tighten up the reins!" For a horse who is used to being driven on contact, the more relaxed Western/cowboy style of driving can be very confusing. :lol: (Kody liked the person driving him and adjusted quickly to being allowed to poke along
default_wink.png
: )

Sorry you had such an annoying afternoon, I know that can be a real pain when someone mishandles your horse. The urge is to smack them when they start smacking your horse!

Leia

gosh i hate when this happens, even if peope do know how to ride or drive,,,,,they dont know my horse
default_rolleyes.gif
:

i love my boy but let me tell ya, he hates strangers, especially kids...even mine lol if hes in his stable he would lunge like a dog at them with his ears turns back,,, and at shows ive to stand away from anyone,

a friend of mine was holding him at a show and this ole boy came over in a rickidy bike and stood too near twinkle, well twinkle j7ust done whats hes best at and bucked, and buckled the fellas wheel on his rickidy bike
default_unsure.png
:

hes just not used to people and doesnt trust easily :no:

so i hear ya!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back