I need some serious advice! Mini with serious trust issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been researching the gel, and I agree. I just don't want to get flamed for 'medicating" I truly feel though that if all the work we put in her over the next 8 weeks or so goes right down the tube in one farrier visit, what good is that. I don't want her to get hurt, the farrier to get hurt ect. Maybe she won't need the gel for ever, maybe just to get her over the hump. I did post a picture of her, she is the brown one. Her hooves seem shaped funny to me, they seem narrow and tallm but I can't get close enough to see them up close. She walks and trots fine. She is not lame at all.
No flames here. If it makes her relax and more comfortable, that's what you have to do. She'll realize you aren't the bogie man and will get better.

The one that really made me angry was at the parade last weekend: one "lady" driving a biggie horse had Aced him THREE TIMES. JUST BECAUSE. She said it was "safer for all" if she did that, and she told us she Aces him EVERY time he goes to any event! And she shows him CDE! No wonder the poor guy looked stoned! He was!!

I truly think she will come around, with time and patience. I need to have a plan for the farrier though, I need to call the vet next week and discuss the options for her.

Hopped to the end so sorry if I am repeating. Medicate for this farrier visit, definitely, it is in the filly's best interests. Medicate by Vet for the teeth- my Vet, who is a qualified dentist and trained on Minis, will not touch any horses teeth without it being sedated, unless it is a quick rub round with the file and she knows the horse well- she is rarely wrong and would not sedate if it was not needed. When she did my geldings wolf teeth as well as a routine filing, I got a lecture (well, she is at a teaching hospital...) on how horses can feel the teeth being pulled/filed, whatever anyone tells you, and he would no more touch a horse for wolf teeth without pain relief than she would take wing and fly! I had never even thought about it, so it was food for though....

I agree completely that this filly is not necessarily abused- I am just now wading through my horses feet- two a day til my back gives out(!) My two year old, who has not been handled nearly as much, routinely, as she should have been , was as good as gold. One of the broodmares, who is handled daily at this time of year, is eight years old and was shown extensively, acted as if I was a Martian. This is a mare I bring in every single day as she is a founder candidate (never had it, but she is just such an "easy keeper" - read she is FAT!!- that I am careful of her) so she comes in and has her own feed that is basically grass chaff, and she gobbles it up- anyway, she is tied up and fed every day and here she is acting as if she has never had her feet picked up in her life. Other days she will run around screaming she has never been caught/haltered before and is a mustang- it is just her nature. The two yearling colts I have just brought into the stalls....well, they have quite obviously NEVER seen a human before, let lone been haltered!! (Every single day from birth to the present day they have been handled, that is all...) SO...what I am telling you in my long winded way is do not be to quick to judge, these wee ones have weird little ways, and my mare is very happy to be brushed and petted, but it does take a few minutes of "wheedling" to get a halter on her. The rearing? I take it as par for the course in a youngster, most of them act like hot air balloons most of the time, I work with it, it settles down in time, trust me!

Catch her, no matter how long it takes, tie her up, be calm and firm, do what you want to do and then turn her loose. No messing, no fuss, just as you would with a two year old child! You can put a breakaway on her if you really want but sooner or later you will have to take it off and start all over again, possibly, I will not leave any halter on any horse, I have lost two, I do not intend to lose another and breakaways don't always break away...

I called my vet, we talked and the medicating gel is on the way in the mail, she completely agreed she would need it. She said keep doing what your doing. I really do appreciate all your help.

The one that really made me angry was at the parade last weekend: one "lady" driving a biggie horse had Aced him THREE TIMES. JUST BECAUSE. She said it was "safer for all" if she did that, and she told us she Aces him EVERY time he goes to any event! And she shows him CDE! No wonder the poor guy looked stoned! He was!!
I knew someone like that when I was in CO. We were in a saddle club together and did lots of parades as a group, she Aced her horse before every parade.
default_frusty.gif
default_doh.gif
default_thud.gif

I'm glad you have this little girl.

She sounds like she realy needs you.

It will take time but things will get better.

I do hope being so young you can win her confidence..I bought a mare 6 years ago that is now 16..I have all the time in the world for her and have tried everyday since shes been with me to win her over... still she treats me with great caution..shes a lovely mare not nasty at all never tried to kick or bite and like yours once on a head collar she will walk out beautifully..although jumps and twiches if i pick her feet up or go anywhere near her ears..even brushing her forelock can result in her getting very upset and like yours her eyes say it all FEAR...Iv no idea why shes like this maybe a result of being mistreated in the past i guess i will never know..having had quite a few youngsters (mostly big horses..only 3 minis) over the years and watching them grow they certainly dont have any catching, head or feet issues..so im sure with alot of work you might just win her confidence and save her from a lifelong unnecessary FEAR like my girl..Good Luck
default_thumbup.gif

I can only hope she comes around, she lets me brush her forelock, actually brush her all over, just gets nervous at the backend, and legs. It only took me three tries last night to get the halter on, and it really was not even a terrible struggle, I think I'm just getting good at being "organized" She was seperated for about 10 minutes and did fine, once she couldn't see her pal, she circled me a few times but never cried out or freaked out. She loves attention, I was shoveling poop into a wheelbarrow and she followed me the whole time, curious to what I was doing and at one point pulled my rake from the wheelbarrow. She is now one of the first to the fence. I am by no means an expert on all of this, but I believe I can learn what is essential to provide them all with a loving home full of attention. I did get a look at her teeth, (well the front ones at least, quickly, remember she chews funny) she has one tooth on the bottom/front that is not all the way in, its half in, the rest all are in. OK, stupid question....how do the baby teeth/permanent teeth work in horses? When do they get them/lose them? She seems thin to me, I can feel her hip bones very easily. What would you guys start her on? She has only strictly been hay fed. No grain or supplement whatsoever. I gave her a small handful of grain last night when I was done, brushing, walking ect. She really did enjoy it.

There ya go - she just needs confidence - the fact that she pulled the pitchfork out shows she has a sense of humor and wants to be engaged! Time and patience.

Latest posts

Back