I need some serious advice! Mini with serious trust issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
Minis.jpgI purchased a little almost 3 year old 27.5 inch tall mini this weekend. I bought her half brother whom is also almost 3 and they have not ever been seperated, she is pretty much connected to his side. The lady gave her to me free so they did not have to be seperated. Here is the problem...she has SERIOUS trust issues. She is not mean, but scared to death!! When she gets scared she wants to rear, she is very easy to handle, and is not rearing vertical, just "hopping up with both front feet" She is SUPER scared of the halter, the past owner said she associates the halter with the vet or farrier. That tells me she has had a very bad experience with the vet/or farrier. Who was Amish let me add. You can barely touch her feet without her panicing. It is so sad, she LOVES attention. She told me she is due in April for a trim, I have no idea how that is ever going to happen. She will freak out. She seems to chew funny, and spits things out, but again I can't see her teeth to see whats going on. She will chew on things and spit things out. I can feel her hip bones under her fur. But we can work on that. I simply have been working on brushing her, working with the halter, and petting her legs telling her its ok, and stopping when she starts to tense up, before the jumping up starts. We went for a walk tonight, she did wonderful, she leads like a charm. Advice??

Last edited by a moderator:
We have one that came to us with trust issues and the progress has been slow but steady. Our mare is VERY head shy and hard to halter or to get near her ears, so we leave a breakaway halter on her most of the time. The leather fuse broke once and we have replaced it with a piece of pink ribbon, which will break if she catches it on anything but is safe for tying and leading.

My general policy is not to use treats, but for trust issues, I think they can be very useful. I would work with her, starting with the things she likes best, and then adding a tiny bit of something like touching her legs (or whatever you need to work on). Sounds like that is what you are doing already, so I think you are on the right track. You need to be very patient. With our mare, who is 9+ months pregnant right now, I can check her udder, feel the baby kick etc. because I am at the opposite end from her ears!! She will let me walk up to her and do that. For the trim, make sure you have a farrier that understands her issues!! We fired the first one she saw, because - even though we explained the issue - he hit her with his rasp when she pulled her foot back. She was absolutely NOT going to kick, but he reacted... The next one we tried took a long time with her, in a stall, feeding her treats every few minutes. That helped a lot. That was over two years ago and now our (new) farrier can treat her like anyone else here.

Oh, the chewing funny - she could certainly have an issue with her teeth that should be looked at. We have a mare that gets food caught in her cheek, but luckily she is calm and I am able to get it out with a toothbrush or by squirting water in her mouth. Our vet has a broken leg now, so I hope I can manage this until he can see her. Food can ferment or rot in the mouth so you do need to address this. It could also be a temporary problem with yours if she is cutting teeth. (not the issue with our 13 year old). A tooth/mouth issue could also make it hard for her to gain weight. At least try to look at her face and see if there are any bumps or lumps, especially if it is only on one side. And watch her eat - sometimes that will help tell what the problem is.

Good luck with her.

Thank you- I have a foal due any day now and this just adds to my stress level, I feel so bad for her and I don't want to be shuffling her home to home. I do use treats with her, carrots and apples. I really have no plans for her but to be a pet. She loves attention that is obvious! I can tell something bad happened during a farrier session, I don't know what else it could be? Once the halter is on, she is fine with it and you can lead her around with it on, its just getting it on! The look of fear in her eyes is very sad, its like someone or something damaged her little spirit. I just hope she comes around. She is such a tiny little petite thing! I feel like she was scared, miss behaved and because she is so tiny she was easy to bully and push around. I could be wrong but I could see it happening with someones that did not have the patience for her.

I agree with Mary slow and treats or something she likes to reassure her like a nice scratch

As for the farrier I think treats again are the answer. And try to distract her with a treat if you can see her starting to tense

What ever it takes to keep the calm even her head in a bucket of feed is an option

Keep her happy and she can hopefully eventually associate a trim with a good thing

You may have to only get him to rasp her feet 1st time around if she is too bad as it could be dangerous with a knife if she throws a fit

but slow and steady unfortunately takes time. Don't expect your farrier to put himself in a dangerous situation either, hopefully he is patient and let us know your progress with her.

There are several routes you can go. I would put a breakaway halter on her for now. You need to work with her daily to get her over her fear of the 'unknown'. It sounds like she was just left to her own devices and her friend was her device.

Slow - you can brush her maybe - once she learns she likes that trust will come along.

I would suggest that you talk to your vet about desensitizing drug for a few times when the farrier comes out. Sometimes that helps them get over their fear of their hooves being worked on. Makes it easier for the farrier too. It doesn't have to be a shot - it can be a gel used.

I really don't think she wants to be mean, she loves attention! She lets me brush her, brush her tail, ect. I always worry about the farrier. She likes treats, but she is also smart to them, she will actually refuse them if she is scared and "knows I am up to something" I have about 8 weeks before she is due for a trimming, we'll see. I will post a picture of the two of them...please don't mind their manes, and how dirty they are, they are in need of some serious grooming!!

I have been researching the gel, and I agree. I just don't want to get flamed for 'medicating" I truly feel though that if all the work we put in her over the next 8 weeks or so goes right down the tube in one farrier visit, what good is that. I don't want her to get hurt, the farrier to get hurt ect. Maybe she won't need the gel for ever, maybe just to get her over the hump. I did post a picture of her, she is the brown one. Her hooves seem shaped funny to me, they seem narrow and tallm but I can't get close enough to see them up close. She walks and trots fine. She is not lame at all.

Please consider this -

What you describe doesn't necessarily mean she was abused or even "bullied" or "pushed around&"; It may very well mean that she was not handled enough or only at the times that a farrier or vet were needed. While that may not affect some horses, some will be more stressed if they have a "hotter" or more sensitive personality.

When you quit doing things as she tenses up - the next time she is liable to be more tense. Why? Because you have actually "taught" her to be tense by stopping what you are doing when she got upset rather than stopping after she realizes that you aren't going to hurt her and then you stop what you are doing. IF you quietly ignore her tension and persist with handling, she will relax. That is when you "remove the pressure" or whatever you are doing. Yes, you do have to find a starting point and if she won't allow you to handle her ears - you may have to start with down by her withers... But then you go from there. There will be days that she will seem to "back up" or revert, too, but you just keep working with her.

I guess every vet appointment or farrier appointment is always going to be "bad" for all of your horses.... There's no need for it to be. Some of ours do not really "like" either the vet or the farrier - some will come trotting up to the fence (even the one who was castrated the week previous!!!) to check out the new "toys" and pester them about who is going to get done next. Others do their best to act like they are being "tortured" and god forbid that an animal control officer stop by then! The vet would need to provide records that that particular animal has been treated in teh past and that it isn't abused, LOL!

I don't understand what's "bad" about an Amish farrier or vet? The several that I've met in the last two years are usually much more attuned to the horses, quieter but more efficient than are the "regular" vets I've dealt with for the last 10 years. Of course, I guess some are "bad... but certainly not all and no worse than the "regular" ones. But then again, I live not far from a vet school - and my regular vets ALWAYS have interns with them - many of whom have never or very rarely handled horses or ponies, they are nervous with the animal and more so because the owner is there. It's been interesting, to say the least....

My personal worst farrier appointments have been with the current "new wave" of "barefoot trimmers"... several of whom, in our area, haven't been to a "regular" farrier school, don't seem to really know how to handle a horse at all, and themselves say constantly that "other" farriers know nothing & charge $50 - 100 per mini plus a farm charge or fuel charge... Right now, if I get told about or get handed a card for a "natural, barefoot" trimmer or more correct term - farrier - I run the other direction. That said - I do ask questions of "natural" farriers who DO, and specialize, in the barefoot trims (UGH! all hooves are trimmed when the horse is barefoot - and most minis or small ponies are never shod. YES, it is a personal pet peeve that drives me crazy when someone calls themselves a "barefoot trimmer" The ones that I've stayed in contact with are interested in continuing education - including extensive work with "regular" farrier schools, working with a vet and IF working on a mini or small horse that has been correctively trimmed in the past, don't take them off of that type of trim right away.

Edited - YES, I'm on a soapbox... I'm sorry if this is offensive to you, I really didn't intend for it to be overly harsh & I've gone back and really tried to change some of my wording, but I find it offensive that almost everyone lately seems to be on a kick that if the horse is upset, then it's been abused. Horses are usually quite bothered by anything new and unusual and from the sounds of it, this little mare hasn't been handled - so everything may well be upsetting to her. Some minis are VERY laid back and even though unhandled, nothing bothers them AND they are very accepting of anything...

CASE IN POINT - I have a just turned 3 yr old gelding. He's been handled extensively since birth, but he has some quirks which I DO address when I handle him, but I've not made a point of dealing with them several days in a row of solid training. My farrier is on "the same sheet of music" with me (likes how I handle most of my ponies/horses and handles them the same or similarly - sometimes she says I need to ease up with some or get more aggressive/forceful with others). She likes to "play" with him when she comes out - especially on the days that she does his hooves (but others she will pull him out of the paddock if there is time). Now, another girlfreind wanted to borrow one of my ponies and work with them on some things. I specifically chose him - as I knew that he'd never been off our property and hadn't had "concentrated" work/training. He'd also never been separated from his "group" of boys (as a weanling and yearling he did run with the girls, too) - but in the last two years he's only come out of his pasture for the vet and farrier visits. Well... I didn't really have any probs with loading him but he'd never been trailered anywhere. HE WAS UPSET! V was angry when he leaped out of the trailer (almost on top of her), I was actually laughing (I had expected him to do that - knowing how he does things. She should have - she's been one of his regular handlers since he was born). He was in a new place, for the first time none of his "pony buddies" were with him (essentially I'd just weaned him, LOL) and he "lost his brains" right down the hole that her dogs had dug next to the trailer. I've never seen him with his head so high, his nostrils so extended and red and his eyes rolling white. I really didn't expect that much reaction - but wasn't quite surprised, either. I also wasn't surprised when he tried to "glue" himself to his handlers' side. With me - i just pointed at him or waved my elbow and he "remembered" that he wasn't supposed to be in my space. She turned her back on him and when he jumped towards her, his shoulder caught her just right and down she went. We've had a lot of rain, it's muddy tho not slick where this happened but ... she came up and OMG - P.O'd doesn't begin to describe how angry she was. She didn't take it out on him directly and quickly realized the loudness was upsetting him and toned it down but ...it was scathing towards my handling, training, bloodlines and well... everything else... On top of that, she did nothing to enforce that she was the "boss" and to stay out of her space - so every new thing that he saw (& some he "made up", trust me) - he jumped into her space - clinging. In the next hour, she went down at least one more time but also got her feet trod on more than once (his dam's sister had been the same way - took a long time and constant work to get her "off of me" and out of my space). In the end, after an hour, he'd calmed down and was more willing to lead properly. He even, eventually, went thru her water obstacle (see pics - link below). Two days later, she did all kinds of "stuff" with him and was "amazed" at how well, he's doing... Well, yes, he's had most of that type of work - over time. He's just never been put into a "stressfull" situation (new training environment) where he was expected to behave and he acted like a typical horse BABY. Should he be that way, no. Do I want him that way, no. For a while, every time he is introduced to something new, I expect he will be rather clingy or want to "be on top of you" - until the handler enforces that he can be out of their space...

Here are pictures of him (my personal album on him) - Cupid The first ones on the 25th of Feb were the day that I hauled him to Vicki's. They go back to his birth on 16 Feb 2010.

here are pictures of him that Vicki's granddaughter took of him - click to the right and follow along (this album are her pictures taken of my ponies) - Cupid at Pampered Pets Pharm

OFF my soapbox now!!

I'm very happy that you have her and that she will be handled and schooled/trained now.  I'm looking forward to the progess you make with her.  I take it her 1/2 brother is gelded?

I've enjoyed your posts about your other little pregnant girl! Edited...

OK, try this again - please HTML don't come back in my regular post...

I guess every vet appointment or farrier appointment is always going to be "bad" for all of your horses....

I am not sure what you mean by that? My first mini has not had a bad vet or farrier visit, she likes both.

I don't understand what's "bad" about an Amish farrier or vet? I completely get there are good and bad in all fields of professions, but as I sat and listened to the lady we bought these minis from, there was some history there that likely contributed to this little girls problems.

We will try to figure this out, I just have to get her to believe she is safe here and nobody wants to hurt her...

Val

Time, patience and lots of both.

I have a couple with trust issues, and both are coming around with lots of time and patience (and a few treats). The stallion is a work in progress, he's been here just over 2 years now; he's comfortable with me, not so much with strangers. The mare is finally coming around, lost a little time iwth her, as I was concentrating on the stallion (he can do more damage than she can, so I felt his progress was more important).

I have used the gel on several of my ponies to help them get over their anxiety. I would rather now do that then for them to never get over their fear. BUT it is not a solution to the entire problem - it is only an aide to help her get over it - you still have to put in the time and figure out when to stop - which is generally when you can do what you need to do without her having anxiety. Sometimes it just a one time deal so they understand what is going on, sometimes it is a year's worth and then they get it. Depends on the individual. I have one - it only took once, I have another- she has to be handled consistently for us to not fall back on old fears.

I think most people understand now there are alternatives to having a knock down drag out.

It does not nessecarily mean there is serious trust issues if she is shy, plays games, or plays hard to catch with the halter. Some horse just have different personalities. I have had ones I had to beat off of me, others that were attentn hogs and mooches, and others that were fine for treats, scratches or checking me out, until the halter came out, then it's was time for the games to begin. I usually have had to place the halter hanging out my back pocket, approach, treat, scratch, then put an arm around the neck, then halter. Voila, games over, they are fine on the lead, to groom, do feet, give shots....

Give her some time, it has only been a few days. A smaller pen and frequent, short periods of positive interaction, even if it is standing in one spot, tossing a treat a few feet away and letting her come close, talking to her, then walking away is all you do. You don't need to put a halter on her or touch her every time, work on letting her get near you, putting treats closer and closer, then from your hand, and walk away. Repeat often. If she was truely terrified, she would be freaking while haltered and being led. She'll come around.

O dear, I went in and edited my post, and the whole thing is in "html" speak now... GAH! Wonder if I can fix that?

Thank you for clarifying the "bad". The first time I "sent up" the post, I realized just how defensive and upset I was and went and tried to clarify what I was saying. Hope that you go back and re-read what I've written along with the included bit about a 3 yr old gelding we have...

I took time to eat dinner... hmmm... I think I was also more quick to jump because I was .... ahhhh... grouchy! I'm very sorry and I want to clarify that.

Me thinks I'm also still learning how bad some things sound when folk (anyone including myself) are typing them rather than saying them...

Our Coco is a craigs-list spook that we bought in desperation. She was living at a place with five other horses in a dry lot smaller than our garage. She doesn’t like to be touched. I have her at the point where I can halter her, lift her feet, etc. (we practice often.) She’s actually pretty good with the farrier; but my dream is that I would not have to corner her for haltering. Funny thing is that she is the most loyal “stare through the fence” horse. If we’re out there doing yard work, there’s Coco; husband comes home from work, she hears the truck and she’s out there making Coco ho-ho’s waiting for him; she’ll stand for hours watching and waiting, but God forbid we go out and touch her.

I don’t really have a point here, except to say that apparently one has to be a smart human to figure them out. Our Coco has had her evil moments, but I refuse to give up; I’m probably doing something wrong.

I have a horse that sounded very similar to your mini...the best advise I got was to NOT treat them any different than any other horse...paintponylvr gave some great advise...horses need to find respect in a person (in a patient person)...I did use treats in the form of clicker training, not bribes, to overcome some specific issues...just remember it isn't the application of the pressure that creates change/learning...it is when the pressure stops...if you stop doing whatever you're doing and they are still scared, then you stopped too soon...they need to be set up for success and realize that sometimes they have to get MORE scared to realize that the world isn't going to end before you stop (whatever you're doing)...

Good luck...you'll make it through this...

Sandi

Thank you for all the great advice. I told you about how she is so attached to her brother, would you seperate them when you work with her, and by seperate I mean on the other side of the fence. Still in eyesight. I've only been working with her 15-20 minutes at night, and its generally been brushing her, petting her, ect. She see's me longer feeding everyone, shoveling poop, and watering them.

If she can see him she should be ok.

Don't rush things though.

She needs to bond to you.

She needs to see you as top mare but also as the best thing in her world.

You don't want to go to fast with her, go at the pace that fits her.

Lots of praise and scratches from you.

Remember to make it easy for her to succeed .

Small steps at first then build on it.

My little girl when I first got her wouldn't even let us near her feet.

Now she let's us clean them.

It has taken 5 months to get to where we are.

Every day several times a day we would pet her legs.

Then pick them up.

For each step she was praised.

It has taken a lot of time.

And she is improving every month.

She still has bad days where we have to start at the first step again.

But once we do that she is usually ok.

Even the friend that is teaching me how to do her feet has mentioned how much better

She is getting each month.

It takes a lot of time.

And the farrier knows how to work with horses that are afraid.

At least they should if they are any good.

Ask them before hand.

But if you work with her all the time when ever you can

Than you should see improvement .

(And yes my girl was hurt by her farrier before I got her. He even wanted to use a switch on her.)

I have been researching the gel, and I agree. I just don't want to get flamed for 'medicating" I truly feel though that if all the work we put in her over the next 8 weeks or so goes right down the tube in one farrier visit, what good is that. I don't want her to get hurt, the farrier to get hurt ect. Maybe she won't need the gel for ever, maybe just to get her over the hump. I did post a picture of her, she is the brown one. Her hooves seem shaped funny to me, they seem narrow and tallm but I can't get close enough to see them up close. She walks and trots fine. She is not lame at all.
The difference is that she needs to be seen by a farrier (and likely have her teeth checked too) but to do so unmedicated/sedated could lead to a really bad outcome for all involved. Your situation necessitates the use of some kind of medication. You're not doing it to make things "easy" so you can avoid being a responsible owner. Any flaming in this situation would be wholly unwarranted.
Good luck!! I think with time and a lot of patience you'll be able to bring her around.

since I don't know the horse, I can't say if shes been abused, just not handled enough, fearful or lacks confidence in her self. Sometimes a horse will bond with a buddy because they do lack confidence. You could try tieing them next to each other, brush & clean his feet first, while she watches, then brush her. Save her hoof cleaning for a further lesson when she is more willing. When you do attempt to work on her legs, start scratching and rubbing her shoulder then quietly run your han down the front of her leg, as you stand to the side, do this in a matter of seconds, do not pick up the foot the first few times when she starts to accept this then start rubbing the whole leg, when she is used to that, move on to picking up the foot and put it right down. When she is acclimated to that step, move on to picking it out, if you don't get all the goop out the first time, so be it. Be consistant, patient and always reward with lots of praise.

Latest posts

Back