I need opinions about buying a cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloIsMyPony

Reaction score
For my birthday, I have the option of getting a cart for Apollo.

I really have NO idea if I want it or not. I don't know if I'll have the time to train him and I don't know if I can train him safely...but I really want to be able to drive him =( I'm in a pickle!

Like really it is my dream to drive him up and down this old road by my barn because I've had wonderful times driving other minis up that one. But I don't know if I have the time and resources to train him correctly so that I don't get killed =( He's a pretty good pony; he's not spooky or a little jerk about things. I've put a harness on him and he didn't freak out at all. I've ground driven him a bit with two really long lead ropes and his halter on, and he was really good.

But he is horrid with longing. And I don't know if I can teach him without using too much of the longe line. I mean he doesn't respect me at ALL when he's on the longe line and he doesn't respect the whip. It takes forever to get him to trot, and I usually have to resort to touching him with the whip to get him to trot three steps.

Wow this is way longer than intended. Any help/opinions? I really want to drive him but I don't know if I have the means of...getting there, I guess.

BUMP! I want to know too..
default_unsure.png
:

Do you have a round pen or small fenced area that you could do some round pen type work in? Just thinking if you can get him to trot in a circle, without the lunge line, making him reverse for you, teach him to keep reversing and whoa in a round pen set up...then you can start to get him to listen to you on the lunge line.

If you dont, try working on a short line...tie a rag to the end of a crop or short driving whip....stand in front of him, holding the lead in your off hand, hold the whip with the rag on the end...at his hip and ask him sto step over saying "over"...away from the rag/whip. (rag just helps it be more visable).

Switch hands...ask him to step over with the whip/rag and his hip on the other side saying "over".

After get him at least moving for you, stand in front, ask him to back saying back...and move the whip/rag in front of his chest.

I've used this with really stubborn horses that ignored other techniques...just to get them to FOCUS and LISTEN to me. If you have to tap him with the whip/rag on the hip...you can...but usually isnt necessary to touch them. The waving rag is enough to make them want to step away...then they associate "over" with your intent for him to move. No its not a command you will use in lunging...but getting him past ignoring you...is.

If you need to use a really stern voice...do so...he needs to learn that he has to do what you ask. It isnt being mean to him...its just pecking order...you need to establish you are "boss mare" so to speak!

Good Luck...don't give up.

Nope, I don't have a round pen or anything. I have a very large-sized field and then a medium-large sized field.

But thanks! I'm going to print out what you said and take it to the barn tomorrow [with a rag =)] and try it. I'll let you know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back