I need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betsy

Reaction score
I am looking to get a dog,but what would be a good one???

I am looking for a small/medium dog.

some energy but not like a dog on speed (lol).

short haired.

good with other dogs.

defintly housetrained

loves to play ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, that isn't very specific.

I bet you can find that dog at your local animal shelter with a little patience, or other local rescues!!!

Andrea

Our border collies and papillons are a good mix with our miniature horses.

The collies lie by the paddocks making sure everyone stays inside and when I am moving horses from field to field they border collies circle us to ensure no one gets away
default_aktion033.gif

They love to work!!!!!!!!!!and the papillons are the "border collie of the toy breed"

Genie... border collies and papillons are both long haired breeds and they both have a TON of energy, neither of which are qualities she is looking for.

Andrea

Check out Yorkies. You would want to get a larger, even oversize one but you can't beat their dispositions, affectionate, happy go lucky and very smart. They love to cuddle up with you on the couch on or in bed if you allow it. They have plenty of energy for play or walks if you want. They can be yappy if allowed but are very easy to train and if you let them know that a lot of barking is not allowed they will conform. Most do not have the high pitched yap that can be so irritating in a small breed dog. They are a long hair breed but have little undercoat and are not hard to keep groomed or you can do what I do and clip them. They are still extremely cute shaved down. They are considered to be hypoallergenic and do not have a strong odor even if you don't bath them very often. Not to say they won't find some wonderful dead perfumy thing to roll in therefor making a bath a necessity. The biggest problem is that they have small dog syndrome, thinking they are bigger than they are and they will take on dogs many times their size if they feel their people or property is being threatened. I have had many breeds of dogs over the years and loved them all for their wonderful attributes, but I have found the Yorkies to be very special in so many ways.

You would probably be able to aquire an oversize one very reasonably as most people want the teacups, so the larger pups sell much lower than the smaller ones. There is also a Yorkie rescue on the web. I'm sorry I don't know their web address, but should be very easy to find doing a websearch.

Can you tell I am really in love with my little monsters.

Oh yes.....I missed reading the whole post, regarding "qualities she was looking for"

Our Papillons need no grooming but sure have a beautiful long silky coat!

The border collies have their home in the stable and love to be "needed" to do the jobs.

if by "short haired" you mean you don't want to deal with shedding, do NOT NOT NOT even CONSIDER a corgi!!! i'm not sure about the cardigans (kathryn will have to chime in) but i can tell you, pembrokes do what we call "projectile" shedding. no matter how much you brush, brush, brush, they NEVER stop shedding.

i paid more for my vacuum than i paid for both of my corgis put together! :DOH!

that being said, i can't imagine life without them!
default_wub.png

For a small/medium dog with short hair and great personality that loves to play-----most definitely a BOSTON TERRIER!!! Your description fits mine to a tee...they are very loyal, friendly with all, outgoing and fairly energetic but not yappy or wild! You can find them from 12-15lbs. and 18-25 lbs. I may be predjudice but check them out for sure!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I personally stay away from small dogs unless your looking to buy/adopt one thats already aged. Most small breeds are extremly difficult to fully potty train. It takes alot longer, alot of persistance.

I always recomend a doberman to people. I love mine. He's amazeing. High energy, but a couch potatoe. Good with dogs as long as you train them to be. Good with horses, again you have to train them. My dobie loves our baby goats. He will cry if he can't come see the baby when its feeding time. They are a short haired breed, they do shed, they are extremly affectionate and smart.

Its hard to tell a person what dog is best for them though, so I would start doing searches of dog breeds online. See which ones tickle your fancy or sound alot like your personality/attitude. Check your local shelters if your not looking for a purebred, you'd be surprised who you will fall in love with.

******SEEK YE TO YOUR LOCAL SHELTER AND GET A SHORT HAIRED MUTT*********
default_yes.gif

You can find the BEST of different breeds in a MUTT!!!! And by meeting the dog in person at a shelter you will get an idea of the personality. Most shelters allow you to take the dog out of the kennel and walk it away from the enclosure, which will give you a better idea of the personality and behavior.

PS: Another thought....... Have you considered a miniature greyhound??? There are greyhound rescues in every state.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are called Italian Greyhounds. They are small, short haired and make great pets. They are HARD to housebreak. ( I have owned/ shown/ bred/ rescued them for almost 25 yrs) They are also much higher energy level than the big greys

If you like the greyhound look but want a smaller easy to house break breed look at whippets

I recommend you go to a local dog show and talk to folks. most breeders ( at least those worth their salt) will tell you the good and the BAD of thier breed.

default_yes.gif

PS: Another thought....... Have you considered a miniature greyhound??? There are greyhound rescues in every state.

I have a large chihuahua. He plays ball better than any other dog I have ever had. He has short hair and is high energy at times, but a great lap dog.

if by "short haired" you mean you don't want to deal with shedding, do NOT NOT NOT even CONSIDER a corgi!!! i'm not sure about the cardigans (kathryn will have to chime in) but i can tell you, pembrokes do what we call "projectile" shedding. no matter how much you brush, brush, brush, they NEVER stop shedding.

default_wub.png
[SIZE=12pt]My Chia reeeaaalllhyyy sheds but I love everyhair I have to vacum up.
default_wub.png
I am thinking about getting another one!! I know everyone thinks the breed they have is the best. BUT this Corgi is bar none the best dog that has ever owned us!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Every minute we are with her it is quite something!
[/SIZE]

Good luck in finding that wonderful dog to have in your life! I know we've found ours.

Gini

Rat terrier! Look like a Jack Russell with legs but are so much more mellow and such lovers! Never thought I would like a small dog, have always had big lab mix types but after getting a Rat terrier I know I will always have one......smart, affectionate, very cute, and just the right size to share the couch with you!

Oh, you are RIGHT there in Catahoula Country!!
default_yes.gif
Catahoulas range from 35 to 60 pounds, short haired, highly intelligent and not one of the overly-energetic breeds. I just adopted one a few weeks back and she is awesome!

Check out this website and see if there is a Catahoula whose life you'd like to save! Monday's Dogs, Catahoula Rescue

default_wub.png

Yes, Cardis shed (seasonally). They have a thick under coat, so though they may 'look' shorter coated, they have a ton of coat! When they blow coat, they blow coat!!
default_wacko.png

When you say short coated, is that for hair reasons??

Only reason I ask is I have a short haired mutt, who when she sheds, she sheds as much as the corgis....yes, the hair is shorter, but it's EVERYWHERE and I find it harder to shed her coat than the corgi coat.

I'd second shelly on the Bostons. They are neat dogs!!

And I'd second uwharrie on attending a dog show and approaching some breeders!!!! That is the best way imo to find out the pros and cons of various breeds!!!

~kathryn

AMEN! I have a mix we rescued (see avatar - the black and white guy) who is about 40-45lbs...does shed but has short hair, energetic and the personality of no other dog I have seen....loveable, playful, and loyal....smart, healthy...and I think he knows we saved him because he loves us more than life. I have absolutely no clue what breeds he is and I could care less!

Good luck in your search!

Shih-tzu's are awesome. These are not short haired dogs, but they do not shed and you can keep them (easily, with scissors) in a shorter puppy cut. So not sure if that would make them a fit -- the non shed / easily kept to medium length hair? They are very confident dogs even though they are small and they do well in the house. They are pretty lazy, which I like.

One problem with a dog from the shelter is you often do not know the breed pre-dispositions that it may have. I love all our dogs but our one from the shelter is not actually the best fit for being around horses/goats. We have it so she cannot cause problems, but our collie and shih-tzu's are a much more ideal (and predictable) fit for our life.

I would say (like some others have) to check out shelters & rescues - they get all sorts of "designer breeds" (mixes) that could be right up your alley.

We have a rescue dog - 15lbs of fun.

Loves to play with toys- fetches, has short hair, plays with the danes and is an overall easy keeper.

Latest posts

Back