I know you say that you can't keep studs together

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Susan asked me to post some pictures of our stud pasture, so I took some new ones this morning.

Here is the view from our bedroom balcony:

studbalcony2DSC_5743.jpg

studbalconyDSC_5744.jpg

And here are some of the studs in the pasture coming for their breakfast.

studparade2DSC_5735.jpg

The "long-ears" is NOT one of our stallions!

studparadeDSC_5736.jpg

studscowboyDSC_5737.jpg

studskingDSC_5740.jpg

studsrolexDSC_5738.jpg

I can see it with my own eyes Tony but I still find it hard to see all those stallions together and no one fighting. You and Susan have it made in the winter. I only have 3 stallions here but if I put them together like that there would only be 1 left and he'd probably be pretty battered up.

You certainly have some handsome studs there. Thanks for sharing and Happy HOlidays to you and your family.

Joyce (CT)

Tony,,

I think I know why... yours all just want some food!!

That third photo is interesting.. that is some long ears on the bigger one in the back.
wink.gif

I love your stallions Tony. I keep mine the same way and they love each other it is soooooo sweet to see two stallions grooming each other.

Is that Tourist in the back?
ohmy.gif
If so.......he got BIG.

spotted pony girl said:
Oooh I like the little grey one in the last picture who just has his little head and neck in, Who's that??
saludando.gif

513084[/snapback]

The one in the front is Melton's Hawk's Diamond Rolex. He was foaled a black and white overo, but greyed out because he is out of a FWF Little Blue Boy daughter. Sure has the Blue Boy head, doesn't he. He is on our price list by the way.

Minimule, LOL, no that isn't Tourist. He is just 24" tall! That one is a shetland mule named Tamale.

Would stallions get along fine if there aren't any mares in view?

Nice boys!

I have no way to keep mares far enough away from the boys to prevent trouble...sure wish I could run them outside together..would make my work much, much easier!!
unsure.gif

Nice looking group!!

I was at Lucky Four one day and they winter most of their stallions the same way, and had no problems at all. We went out to look at a couple of colts and they all gathered around us looking for scratches and treats.

The mares are in close proximity many times.

[SIZE=14pt]I love to see picts of horses, keep them coming. No matter what the subject, I have to look![/SIZE]
laugh.gif

Tony, how close do you consider close?? We read a study one time that said some stallions are comfortable if the mares are at least 50 feet away, but some needed 100 feet and a few even more than that.

I have known a few folks who ran stallions together, but, many were young and had been raised that way, and yes, they play rough, have to reestablish their pecking order after breeding season, etc....

I have known a couple of stallions that NO WAY would ever be able to be put in that type of situation...

If someone has only an acre or two and has three stallions, if they were not used to this type of setup, I would certainly not do it.

HGFarm said:
Tony, how close do you consider close??  We read a study one time that said some stallions are comfortable if the mares are at least 50 feet away, but some needed 100 feet and a few even more than that. 
I have known a few folks who ran stallions together, but, many were young and had been raised that way, and yes, they play rough, have to reestablish their pecking order after breeding season, etc....

I have known a couple of stallions that NO WAY would ever be able to be put in that type of situation... 

If someone has only an acre or two and has three stallions, if they were not used to this type of setup, I would certainly not do it.

513118[/snapback]

Today the mares are next to the pasture. And three of the twenty-two in the pasture are running the fence and the others are off doing their own thing.

Every stallion will adapt to it within an hour! Three of the stallions there this week are new and they adapted in minutes to the new environment.

We were actually able to keep some of our stallions together year round, could actually take one out, breed a mare and return him. The others would gather 'round and squeal and sniff and do the mine is bigger than yours talk and then they would gather around the round bale and get back to eating. It just depends on the stallion. Our Bond Peppy Power son can't even be pasture bred as he is so hard on the mares and won't give up when they beat him up. The rest go out together and are fine, even with geldings!

According to Mike McCabe, the secret is to have an odd number and they do fine. Two can be trouble if they don't grow up together but three and up are ok.

My boys are on the other side of the fence to the mares, and they are fine. There is a small amount of dominance chasing- the key I think, is space. If there is room to get away no damage occurs. I see mine play boxing and nipping at legs, and there is one definite Boss but no aggression, per se. Of course there are just three on four acres. Rabbit?? NO WAY he has a field to himself!!! He would fight and fight and fight. His sire was OK out with other stallion- not great but OK, but Rabbit will not tolerate mares so there is NO way he would go with entires!

As with everything it depends on the horse/horses concerned.

I see my boy Czar in 2 of the pics
wub.gif
I can't wait till Jan. when I will have him in the flesh
aktion033.gif

We have what we call the "bachelor group". They're a combination of young stallions and geldings. And yes, they started out being together or in a similar group when very young.

They will scuffle and nip at eachother, but Rabbit is correct, IMO, if there's space to run, it's fine. They even buddy up together -- such as at meal time, two or three will stick together and eat from the same piles of hay.

One thing we have not tried is puting our mature studs together. They each have their pasture with their own group of girls.

MA

Latest posts

Back