I have to ask....what is CDEs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilkenny Farms

Reaction score
I read that in two different posts just now and I am not really sure what that is. Could someone give me a quick description of what those letters stand for.

Thanks,

Barbara

CDE's are Combined Driving Events similar to eventing with riding horses except they are driven in carts for a dressage test, cones obstacle course in place of stadium jumping and a marathon cross country course consisting of several stages - hazards, trot only, etc. They are a lot of fun and a real test of your horse's strength, ability and endurance.

While I am familiar with cone driving, obstacle type driving, and cross country type driving , what is involved in the dressage test portion of this? I have to say that is the only thig that is really keeping me at bey on the CDE.

While I am familiar with cone driving, obstacle type driving, and cross country type driving , what is involved in the dressage test portion of this? I have to say that is the only thig that is really keeping me at bey on the CDE.
If you go to the ADS website you can find the standard dressage tests or patterns that are used, in written and diagram format. There are different tests for each level with increasing demands and difficulty. The training or beginner level tests are fairly simple requiring basically circles in each direction, walk, trot, halt and backup in a particular pattern. You are scored on your horses gaits and willingness and your reinsmanship. You will find the score sheets on the website as well to see what the judge/s will be looking for. The tests are always available prior to the event (usually actually present in the show premium or at least the pattern number) so that you can practice with your horse at home.

The dessage tests are similar to riden dressage tests in that they follow a logical sequence of training and feature different gaits and patterns. You can see the various tests at http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/dressage_test.asp

A great thing about dressage tests is that you get scores for every movement and lots of comments. So you will know exactly what you did wrong - unlike sometimes in the show ring.

Don't feel intimidated by them - I drove my first test this year after riding a lot of dressage tests and I totally messed up the driving one. But I got through it and learned a lot from the scores and comments.

Carolyn R said:
While I am familiar with cone driving, obstacle type driving, and cross country type driving , what is involved in the dressage test portion of this? I have to say that is the only thig that is really keeping me at bay on the CDE.
The nice thing about Combined Driving Events is that they don't judge your gaits as in how much action the horse has, but rather how well your horse is moving whatever his style and how well you can handle your horse. I love that a Steady Eddy can compete with Mr. Flash and do just as well!
default_wub.png
TargetsMom gave you a great description of the dressage portion and it really does boil down to that progressive training scale and how well you perform the figures. Your circles should be round, your straight lines straight, and your three-loop serpentines each a third of the arena. It's both very easy and very difficult.
default_biggrin.png
I LOVE the partnership you create with your horse as you dance these figures.

Seriously, don't be intimidated. Training Level dressage is very basic and just about anyone can go in with a relaxed horse and do well. It's all about being rhythmic and steady and soft, and the fine points will come later when you see the judge's comments and start taking some lessons.

The marathon, on the other hand, is much more confusing!
default_laugh.png
Depending on which part of the country you're in you may have only Section E (the one with the hazards/obstacles), Section A (trot only) and Section E, or a full three-section marathon with the trot only, a 1km walk section and then the hazard portion. It's important to study the information for the event you're considering and talk to the organizer if you have any questions before entering. They're here to help you; they won't mind!

Leia

P.S.- Most of us refer to them as Hazards but the name was officially changed to the less intimidating "Obstacles" a couple of years ago. So the hazards and obstacles in this case are the same thing, while the obstacle course on the third day is called simply "Cones."
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Thanks for all the great information! This sounds like great fun.

And now a new Driving Forum! That should be full of information that I can use as I chase my dream.

Barbara

Latest posts

Back