I have Quit smoking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvf

Reaction score
I have tried to quit smoking several times. This time just might be it. I sure hope so.

In the past, I tried cold turkey, the gum, the patch, etc. I also tried Wellbutrin.

Nothing worked.

I am into my 3rd week as a non smoker. I will say this has been the easiest ever!!

It almost makes me feel guilty that it is so easy.

I am taking Chantix, it is a prescription drug. And it is expensive if your insurance doesn’t cover it (mine doesn’t)

Which I find somewhat odd, in that everyone says to quit smoking and I/ we pay high insurance premiums, but mine won’t cover a cent of this prescription. And this one actually seems to be working.!!

Even though I am paying the full price for this prescription, it is so worth it. It costs about $109/ month.

They recommend that you take it for 3 months.

It is so hard to explain how this works….I'm into the 3rd week and I feel like I have never been a smoker.

And for me to say that after 34 years of smoking and almost 2 packs a day is something.

The only side effect for me has been, when I take a pill it does make me a little nauseated for about 30 minutes.

I am wondering who else might be taking Chantix? And if you have, did you take it for 3 months they recommend? and if you are past that time frame,are you still not smoking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't but I quit quite cheap. This doesn't work for everyone.

Put down the cigs and say I'me done. Don't buy don't smoke in a few weeks time you'll forget. I promise.

I smoked heavy for a year or two and finally said I'm though. It was hard the headaches were really bad but I got though it.

Oh wow nothing l've tried in the past has worked long term for me..l'll have to ask about the Chantix next visit to see if it's available up here..a carton is now 90 bucks and l go through one a week l should be slapped silly for doing that..

I've never heard of it, but CONGRATULATIONS on your choice to QUIT SMOKING!! GOOD for you!!! I hope you have found what it takes for you to stop. I was also a heavy smoker, smoking 1.5-2 packs(25 packs) a day, and for over 20 years or more. I wish you SUCCESS and the best of luck in kicking this once and for all. Keep up the GREAT work! :aktion033:

OOPS...I forgot to say I too have now been "smoke free" for many years. I quit on March 1, 1998.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I have a Rx for it.. we plan to start together when he comes in from work (one more week). I know his brother has stopped almost all together but does claim to smoke one or two a day (compared to his 3 packs a day).

My best friends 32 yr old husband had a heart attack over 3 weeks ago and they put him on it.. so far.. he hasn't smoked one!!

Good luck with it, keep us updated.. I'll be joining you with it in about a week!!!

good for you!! :aktion033: :aktion033: I have never smoked a day in my life and never plan on it so i can't help you as far as ways to quit, but i wish you the best of luck!

Congrats on quiting...and think about it...the prescrip is cheaper than your smokes! I hear this stuff is great...I wish I could take it, but I'd loose my medical at work. I can't take anything that may be mind alltering, make you tired (can't even take benadryl for my allergies), etc....this stuff, I hear, affects the part of the brain that makes you want a cig...even though the scrip wouldn't affect my brain to the point of tiredness or whatever...I still can't take it...

I'm so proud of you! Even though the meds help...it's still willpower and you're doing great!

You go girl :aktion033:

I have 2 HARD CORE smokin friends that are trying to quit with the help of Chantix as well.

They are doing great .... and have great attitude as you do!!!!

My 4 year anniversary was this last Sunday being free of the smelly habit
default_wink.png
:

Nicorette gum was my Saviour
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

You can do it!!!

Chantix rocks! My husband, mother in law, mother and I all quit using Chantix. All of us except my mother in law were 2 packs a day people. I had smoked for 20+ years, my mother for 40+ years, my husband for 20+ years and my MIL for 15+ years. Hubby, MIL and I have been SMOKE FREE since May 22, 2007. My mother smokes about 3 cigarettes a week, but that's a HUGE improvement. My mother used the Chantix for about 2 months and the rest of us only used it for one month. We had all tried many times to quit, but the Chantix seemed to give us that extra edge we didn't have before. And it's really not that expensive when you think about how much you spend on cigarettes a month! :new_shocked: I also got nauseated for about 30 minutes after taking it every morning and my MIL & I both had weird dreams a couple of nights, but that was it for side effects.

Good luck to you!

I need to point my husband to this thread. He's tried- many times, even some times when he didn't have access them for several days. He still smokes.
default_sad.png

Congrats on quiting...and think about it...the prescrip is cheaper than your smokes! I hear this stuff is great...I wish I could take it, but I'd loose my medical at work. I can't take anything that may be mind alltering, make you tired (can't even take benadryl for my allergies), etc....this stuff, I hear, affects the part of the brain that makes you want a cig...even though the scrip wouldn't affect my brain to the point of tiredness or whatever...I still can't take it...

I'm so proud of you! Even though the meds help...it's still willpower and you're doing great!

Hey Sonya, not so anymore! It's approved for use in controllers now. There is a restriction until you reach the maintence dose and are without side effects but it CAN be used on duty. Call your med division but it is approved here and they have to keep it consistant across the regions.
default_wink.png
: I was surprised about this one too.

Thanks Shirley...I'm definately gonna talk to my dr about it!

I was real happy to see your post, as my hubby has been bouncing the idea for the last few weeks, since I had briefly mentioned whether there was anything new on helping smokers, when I was in for a checkup. Doc mentioned this new drug & I told hubby & he has been debating on trying it, as he has also tried the patches, wellbutrin, cold turkey, etc. and hasn't kicked the habit yet. I will pass on this info to you and maybe get that appt. set up! Good luck to you though!!!

Latest posts

Back