I HATE HAWKS!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
This morning I was out feeding the horses. The chickens weren't out There was a Starling/Blue Jay squabble in the top of a neighbors pine tree. No small birds on the phone wires. Things seemed really weird. I also kept hearing a weak whimper/bark of a small dog. When I finished feeding I got my glasses and went out front to see if I could find the little dog. About that time the Hawk that was at the root of that Starling/Blue Jay squabble flew out of the pine tree and across the street to a telephone pole top and dangling from his claws as he flew was the little dog. We had a Hawk a few years ago try to get our little dogs. They don't seem to go after the wild rabbits and squirrels. They go for the tiny dogs. I HATE HAWKS!!!!

Me too, and we have lots of them, as well as large owls, that are constantly on the look-out for my cats.
default_no.gif
the ones I dislike the MOST...the darned bald eagles...they are the worst, and there are tons of them.
default_sad.png

I know, we have them here too. My neighbor has chickens, and when I first started hearing them squawk a few years ago, I found out real quick why. It was and still is heart wrenching to hear. Now I just don't look up. I hate seeing the chicks carried off. We have Red Tail Hawks here. Its amazing what they can carry. I have never seen a hawk carry a small dog! And hope I NEVER do!
default_no.gif

We have hawks and eagles here too (Golden Eagles) but our Livestock Guardian Dogs also watch the skies and tell them in no uncertain terms that they are not welcome here.
default_smile.png

Did any of you see the show (maybe on the Discovery Channel? I can't remember for sure what it was on) where there were eagles taking newborn ELK? That shocked me. I tell my dogs to watch the newborn mini foals VERY closely.

Our problem here is great horned owls. They take and/ or maim cats. I lost at least one cat to them and my neighbors have lost (or found mangled) several. I hate to lose pets to wild animals, but it happens. You bet I keep a sharp eye out for hawks and buzzards around my goat kids, but I haven't had an issue with them yet.

It made me feel sick to read this, so horrible! A friend of mine that lives in Colorado that raised sheltie pups for 20 years told me to watch the hawks and eagles because they will swoop in to take a pup. And my hubbys Aunt that lives in Wyoming watched an eagle swoop in and puncture the lungs of a baby antelope and take it down, she said it was horrible. Sorry you had to see that with that pup!
default_sad.png

I always wonder about this. We have a breeding pair of red-tail hawks on our property and I've seen bald eagle pairs down the road. One of the hawks was perching on the fence right near Niobe. I hope I never have to know if they go after small foals, but will keep it in mind. So sad about the little dog!

oh gosh, I wish I never read this.. How sad for the little dog.. Now I worry about something taking my Teddy Bear away!!

You took the words right out of my mouth! I too have been thinking about this, and would just die if one stole my little "Monkey" boy! Chris is always teasing me, telling me that Monkey's little white tail waving up in the air is just a big flag to show the hawks where he is. Of course he says it in fun, to tease me, but man, you mean that could REALLY happen??!! YIKES!!! I would just DIE!

I love to watch the hawks - and have to admit I loved seeing one fly over with what looked like a 6' snake hanging from his beak! I do worry about the cats & little dogs though, hadn't really considered them a threat to foals...yikes! There was a bit on the news awhile back about a little chihuahua being picked up by a hawk and carried away but he came limping back home a day or so later, scratched and bruised but alive. Hawk must have lost his grip and dropped him.

Jan

An owl took my neighbor's min pin a few years ago. The child saw it all. What a horrible image to carry for the rest of your life...seeing your beloved pet taken away into the evening sky by a bird. So sad.

I do not let me chihuahua or IG out without me being out there and I am always looking toward the sky. It's very scary. So sad for the poor little dog.

Unfortunately humans and animals have to share this earth....We as humans tend to look at those that kill to survive as evil and bad....I feel for those that has lost their pet to a predator, but this is nature and they are doing what they do...Those hawks don't know that's your dog or cat, to them it's food for themselves or babies...Predators are moving into populized areas because we have started taking over their areas...Dogs and cats left outside unattended are easy targets so they take advantage of it. I live in town and we have plenty of deer, coyotes and hawks here....I'm just waiting for someone to say they saw a mountain lion or such around here...We have had sightings in central Ind, just a matter of time I guess...

Latest posts

Back