I got a pair of Nubian Goats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Nubian goats on Saturday. They are aproximately 5 months old, wethered and dehorned. They are very sweet boys, but when I leave them one starts blatting so loud I'm afraid my neighbors will complain. If I go in the house, its starts. I can't stay with them 24/7, got to p** at least!

What can I do? They did stop tonite when it got dark, but I closed the barn up early so they whined awhile.

I don't want to get rid of them, any ideas??? Alarm clock??? What???

Lee

It sounds as if they weren't weaned properly... Make sure their bellies are full at bed time. I would guess if you think they weren't weaned they will get used to being alone and go to sleep. When they have each other that should help too.

I use to breed and show ADGA registered Nubians a few years ago. In most cases people who breed dairy goats take the kids away from the does as soon as they are born and raise them on bottles. This way they can use the milk from the doe and also can keep her udders even and in good shape (kids can sometimes tend to favor one teat more and this unevens the udders). So if they were raised this way they see humans(you) as their mother, so that is why they start calling you when you leave them. When I was showing, if I left one on the stand to walk a few feet away and get something they would start balling. As to your origianl question, I am sorry but I just don't really have any ideas as to how to get them to hush up. I never could figure that one out. Good luck with them, Nubians are beautiful goats!!!!

Josh

Wear an old coat, a big old coat as big as you can get, all the time you are dealing with them. When you leave them tie the coat up in a sort of person shape on the stall wall.

It will have all the right smells and look.

It should work!!
default_yes.gif
:

Put it on every time though- take it down off the wall and wear it.

DO NOT GREET STRANGERS DRESSED THIS WAY!!! :lol:

Jane said one of the things I would and also I would leave on a nite lite and play a radio on a quiet staion with soothing voices.

DO NOT GREET STRANGERS DRESSED THIS WAY!!!
:risa_suelos: :new_rofl: !!!

p.s. Any pictures of the partners of crime??!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lee! Now what have you gotten yourself into?? :lol:
default_wink.png
: I'm sorry, I have no answer to your question, but I can only imagine this little goat out there yelling for you.
default_yes.gif
: Where are the pictures? I have always adored the mini donkeys and this is the exact reason why I never purchased one. I could only picture this little donkey braying its head off at all hours and my neighbors getting annoyed by it. I hope all is well with you and everyone. How is Patty doing with her little son? I hope she has changed tunes with him. Hugs to you and Snip and of course, little Ms. Emma!
default_wub.png
:

Linda :saludando:

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

Thanks everyone, I'll try the coat trick. They did better today even played and napped. I watch them from the screen house and they seem to be getting braver. Yes, they are bottle babies. I got them for my 1 month old colt to ween him with when its time. Sales are slow and I figure Wyatt will be here for the winter.

They are adorable babies, so sweet and they love all the people that stopped by to see them.

My neighbor stopped over this morning. She loves them and said they'll settle down with time, good neighbors are a blessing.

I've got quite the barn yard now:

11 hens

4 horses

4 dogs

2 goats and

4 fish.

I love it!! Always wanted to do this, I'm so happy to have a dream come true.

Lee

Well if they are bottle babies I say good luck! WE have several goats here of different varietys. Including two nubians. They are all 1-7ish. THe two nubians are about 1.5 yrs and they are the most talkative. They are actually locked out of the barn with shelters as they are way overly talkative when they see us. And trust me 15 or so goats/sheep talking in the barn gets to be pretty loud.

Heh, heh, heh........you got suckered in by those cute floppy ears didn't you? You know why Nubians have floppy ears? Just for the "awwwwww" factor. It helps people overlook the noise blasting out of their sweet little mouths.

Yep, I have Nubians and they are quite well known for being by far the noisiest goats out there. Any other goat on their loudest day is far quieter than a Nubian in "moderate" voice. I have a friend with Saanens and Toggs. If I go over there during milking time (usually when goats are noisiest) it's SOOOOO quiet! And yet she's hollaring at the goats to shush because she can't stand the noise. Heck.......even when it's not milking time and I'm out in the barn you can't hear someone talking to you from the aisle when you're in a stall!

Of course Nubians only make noise during milk time, feed time, nap time, poop time, play time, when it rains, when it snows, when the sun is out..........

when they're hungry, when they're not hungry, when they eat, when they sleep (yes, they sometimes "sing" in their sleep), when they breathe.........

Heh, heh, heh........you got suckered in by those cute floppy ears didn't you? You know why Nubians have floppy ears? Just for the "awwwwww" factor. It helps people overlook the noise blasting out of their sweet little mouths.

Yep, I have Nubians and they are quite well known for being by far the noisiest goats out there. Any other goat on their loudest day is far quieter than a Nubian in "moderate" voice. I have a friend with Saanens and Toggs. If I go over there during milking time (usually when goats are noisiest) it's SOOOOO quiet! And yet she's hollaring at the goats to shush because she can't stand the noise. Heck.......even when it's not milking time and I'm out in the barn you can't hear someone talking to you from the aisle when you're in a stall!

Of course Nubians only make noise during milk time, feed time, nap time, poop time, play time, when it rains, when it snows, when the sun is out..........
I've always wanted a Nubian, mostly because of the cute floppy ears, but I may have to rethink my choice if they are that talkative. My husband isn't too keen on having a goat, so perhaps a quieter breed would be a better choice. We have plenty of weedy/grassy areas that could use mowing, but we don't have a weed-eater to get the job done.

Baby Huey and Little Louey are settling in now. They dont like being in with the horses at all, and Wyatt scared them to death with his antics.

I love them, they are soooo sweet and a big hit with Emma. Today she brushed them, buried them in hay, put a chicken on their back. :new_shocked: and they just love it.

I just picked up a disposable camera, mine needs repairs. So I'll post pics soon.

Lee

Actually, they're not always that bad, but they are vocal. They do tend to be more attached to their caretakers than most other breeds and are usually extremely well liked as a result.

Awww. I can't wait to see pictures. I hope there is one with little Emma.
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

Back