I broke Velvet's leg today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no!

You are in my thoughts! It will be fine, don't worry
default_sad.png

When I was a groom in a H/J barn I had turned out one of our babies (he was 4) and he did the same exact thing, he must have stepped wrong and fractured a bone near his fetlock. He was laid up for months (a bit of a nightmare since he was so young and big 18.1 hands) and full of energy. We had to tranq him just to hand walk him at some points but after about 5-6 months he was good to start working again he started on the flat and yes .... he did jump again of course his career as a jumper was over but he had no problem doing small fences and hunter courses. He couldnt jump every day but he was and last I heard still sound as can be.

I understand the guilt and panic I felt it to as I was working a clients VERY expensive horse and like you I knew instantly even if the vet at first until x-rays wasnt sure.

Expect some wild days during lay up but dont give up things will more then likely turn out just fine!

Last edited:
It's amazing what horses do to themselves. My friend had an awesome warmblood that she just turned out in the arena to play. He was running and stepped wrong and broke his front leg. They had to put him down and she was devasted. I'm glad your girl has a better outcome! Good luck with your move.......I know it's stressful right now but hang in there. I think you're going to like Washington. Lot's of good people in the Northwest!

I am so sorry that you and Velvet have to go through this! How terrifying! I should know, I have had a horse "break" with me in its presence two times. The first was my beautiful Appaloosa mare when I was galloping on a trail as a teenager, her leg shattered and we both went down...poor girl and we had to put her down, it was awful. The last time was my beautiful TB, Pal. He retired sound from the track. I had him for six weeks and took him to a clinic. Put him out in a paddock while I was going to clean his stall, he started running, slipped and fell and I heard that terrible sound...it was his accessory carpal bone. It has taken a couple years, but he is sound again and is being ridden dressage.

I pray for a full and complete recovery for Velvet, and am sending hugs your way! Oh and by the way, WELCOME TO WASHINGTON!!!! I live in Monroe, which is about 35 miles northeast of Seattle.
default_yes.gif
: Hope to see you around the mini events in the upcoming year! :saludando:

That's an awful lot of stress to deal with, you poor girl.
default_sad.png

First off, try to look at the bright side-- Velvet is going to be FINE (whew!), and like WarPony said, YOU didn't break her leg, it just happened.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for you, Velvet, and last but not least your grandfather. Hang in there, things will get better!

First of all, I am SO sorry you're going through all this! I will be sending prayers for your grandfather, having gone through something similar with my own 2,000 miles away last year.

Secondly, something occurred to me as I was reading all these replies. I seem to recall that Velvet is a very sensitive mare? Highly reactive and volatile? Have you ever read Linda Kohanov's book "The Tao of Equus?" Not so incidentally it is about her experiences with a highly sensitive, spiritually-awakening black Arab mare named Tabula Rasa. But what I'm remembering right now from that book is our horses incredible tendencies to take on our emotions and stress and mirror them for us. If we aren't getting what they're trying to tell us, sometimes they even take it into the physical to make their point.

I think Velvet was telling you something. You said yourself you are about ready to crack under the stress and tension. She knows that. In fact, she's so in tune with the family that she did it herself FOR you! Scary and stressful as it is, this may be a blessing in disguise. She's giving you an opportunity to stop, breathe, and just be with a horse. Cold-hosing her, wrapping her, hand-walking her, these can all be times to stop and take a deep breath and just BE. A legitimate reason to stop and do nothing in particular without guilt for a few minutes. And from what you've said it sounds like she'll be alright eventually (thank God) so she really did choose the best possible way to get your attention.
default_yes.gif
: Sorta.
default_wacko.png
:

Anyway, just a theory but it feels like a possible match from over here. Many prayers coming your way.

Leia

OH MY! YOU MUST BE CRAZY WITH ALL OF THIS STRESS, YOU POOR THING! I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY THOUGHTS, NIKKI

Just remember not to blame yourself...it was a freak accident. Make sure the shipper's actually know how to wrapa leg though. I had a friend ask shippers to wrap legs and they wrapped them to loosely and the horse ended up bowing a tendon.

Well, Velvet had a bit of an attitude change yesterday. Her leg was much less swollen, she was putting weight on it and walking almost normaly and she did not pick it up every time I looked at it. She was also very subdued and mellow. I hosed her leg and re-wrapped it all the while Loren held her lead rope. She was a total spas yesterday and today she is mellow yellow. I guess she does not want another cracked bone so she better chill out! This is how she normally is. Yesterday she was not her self. She was 3 not 13!

I also have her in with Bein, the old mare and seperated her from her "Babies", CJ & Cleo. They do nothing but make trouble and would get her running and pull her bandages off. So, they are in the big pasture without her and HATE IT! They want their mommy. TOO BAD! CJ is 6 and Cleo is 5. Don't you think it is time I weaned them? :risa_suelos:

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

oh, that must have been so scary! sounds like lots of stress. glad to hear she is a little better. good luck moving, and wishing her a speedy recovery!
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

you are in my parayers...
default_yes.gif
:

btw, that yellow halter looks awesome on her!

default_wub.png
: best wishes
default_wub.png
:

First, I just have to say that that is a nice mare. Is she the momma of that stunning black filly you had for sale a while back?

And good grief yes, you are facing a ton of stress right now. Prayers for some moments where it all slows down a bit. And I don't think this freak accident could have been prevented by doing anything different. You never know, she may have compromised the leg just enough earlier goofing off or something when you didn't see her. My big horses always seem to be beating themselves up one way or another and it seems to get worse in the fall. They've been in the heat and bugs all summer and finally the weather is nice and kablooey... Dorkitis is what it's called around here.

I'm sure with a long layup and a slow comeback, she'll be right as rain again.

If I'm not mistaken, she's hurt the same leg as Barbaro? Hopefully she have a recovery as good or even better than his.

My goodness what an ordeal! I hope your beautiful girl is on the road to a full recovery. As for you...I didn't even know you guys were moving
default_wacko.png
: I need to run a search on posts... Take care!

Back