I broke Velvet's leg today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
I wanted to clip the horses before the shipper comes to get them and I also wanted to take a few pictures of me riding Velvet across the street at the pond before we left. Well, Velvet was being a total PITA and so I put her in the round pen to run off some of her energy. She did about 3 laps before I heard a very loud “CRACKâ€. Velvet was continuing to gallop, but on 3 legs. Her right hind leg was in the sir as high as it could go. Although I was trying to get her to stop and was being very quiet and calm, Velvet still did several laps before she came to a stop. Her leg swelled up immediately and was hot right away also. I got her out of the round pen and tied her up. Called the vet and started to cry. I had broken Velvet’s leg and we are moving to Washington State in 10 days!! Within 20 minutes the vet was there. She palpated and said nothing was broken. I had been cold hosing her also and she started bearing weight in it already. The vet took several x-rays and gave me wrapping instructions as well as bute. Getting the x-rays was hard because Velvet kept picking her foot up if the film cartridge touched her.

So, the vet finally called and said she has a crack in her fetlock, torn tendon and suspension ligament also. She will be ok to ship, but her racing and jumping career is over. Since she was never a race horse and hates jumping, I guess that will not be a problem. We already called the shipper and they will change her polo wraps at the lay over barn if I leave instructions. She has to be kept wrapped up snug though.

Added stress is just what I need right now. We are moving 3000 miles next week, my 87 y/o grandpa is in the hospital with pneumonia and now my horse has a busted leg. Who wants to trade places with me for a while?

velvetsleg003.jpg

velvetsleg005.jpg

velvetsleg006.jpg

velvetsleg002.jpg

velvetsleg007.jpg

Oh no! That is scarry! I can't belive that she did that doing a normal everyday horse thing like free longing!

Good luck with her and the move!

Oh poor thing.......sending you and her lots of light that everything else goes well. Moving is such a pain but I cannot wait to meet you and your beautiful horses..........................

It never fails to amaze me what horses can do to themselves.

Poor Velvet.....

I have a friend that had a similar injury on the front leg to her

huge QH.....he got a shot of pony Prozac that lasts up to

90 days to keep him quiet so that the leg will heal.....

Hopefully when you get here life will settle down to a more normal

pace for you........moving is so stressful without accidents.

Oh my this is terrible! I am so sorry to hear this.
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

Hello Future Washingtonian....I am so sorry to hear about Velvet .... my favorite saying is "It's ALWAYS something!" As if you don't have enough going on
default_wacko.png
: Just remember Velvet is coming to a kinder Winter enviroment....and hopefully that will help her with her healing...I just heard yesterday that we are suppose to have a mild Winter...hope so
default_yes.gif
: Give Velvet a squeeze for me, Teri

I hope Velvet's recovery is swift and that she heals well and without further incident! (And I hope the rest of your preparation and move go easily! Take care...

Poor Dear both of you. Moving is SO stressfull! jsut breathe hahaa.
default_wub.png
:

I'm so sorry for your misfortune. That totally stinks! I wish you all the best.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for Velvet, and good luck to you on your move. Maybe all the bad stuff is happening now to get out of the way before you leave.

Sending prayers and good wishes for a quick recovery for your grandpa.....

A speedy recovery for Velvet and many days of good riding for you........

And last but not least a safe trip to Washington for you and your family. human and animal.

Im so sorry about Velvet and your grand dad. Things will smooth as you get on the road and take advantage of all those North Westerners who are just waiting to welcome you. Much luck and safe traveling.

Oh my gosh! I know the stress of moving. I am going through it myself this month but to add this to it... How awful!

We welcome you to the NW. It is truely a beautiful place to live. I wish your family a safe and uneventful trip here and prayers are going out for the quick recovery of your grandpa.

Thanks everyone! I didn't expect so many responses!

I checked on Velvet a few times last night. She hurts a little, but nothing like she did when it first happened. She walks almost normally already.

I am going to have the vet write me up the instructions for the shippers and have them sign 2 copies so there is not confusion as to what was understood about her care. I am also going to look for something easier, yet supportive then Polo wraps and vet wrap. She will let them wrap her no problem, but I know how people are and if they can get away with being lazy about it, they will.

When she is done with her breakfast, it will be cold hose and bandage time for her. Thanks for the thoughts.

ON the other side of the country, my grandpa is no feeling all that well. Today will be his 4th day in the hospital. He only has one lung and to be sick in it is REALLY bad. Also, he is down to 125 pounds. He is 6'2". He does not have an appetite at all. It is very worrisome for me because I don't know what i will do if he decided to go. I am currently 3,000 miles away, frantically packing and painting our house for the renters, awaiting the horse shippers, dealing with Loren and Velvet, and I am about to crack! I am so glad I have my husband to help me, but he is about to crack up too
default_wacko.png
:

Moving is one of the most stressful times in one's life, add to that a sick beloved family memeber and a hurt horse and you have a heart that is broken. I'm so very sorry but my prayers and white light will travel with you all. PM Rori, she just went thru this and is one heck of a lady to befriend. Travel safe.

im so sorry to hear about your troubles i wish velvet a speedy and pain free as possible recovery, :no: {{{{hugs}}}}

Oh my goodness, how scary that must have been!!!! I'll say a prayer that her recovery is swift and uneventful (and that your move it too. I hate moving when it is just a few miles down the road, let alone as far as you are moving!!).

I did want to say, YOU did not break her leg. It sounds like you are blaming yourself, and you shouldn't. It isn't like you did anything at all to put her into a situation that could cause this, it was just one of those bad luck situations. How many times has any one of us popped a horse into a round pen or onto a lunge line for a few good hard laps to blow off steam because they were being bratty? If her leg was going to go, it was going to go... and at least it happened while you were there instead of after she was out in the pasture and you were gone.

When my paint was a yearling she somehow ripped her back leg open exposing tendon, bone, and muscle. She lost her front tendon in that leg so she will not be the jumper I wanted her to be. The good news: she healed up fine and went back to her snotty self. Velvet will be Ok. Sometimes things just happen you can't control. Sounds like she's in good hands too. Good luck with it all.

Latest posts

Back