I bought a dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have dwarf and just love her. When we are home she just wanders the yard. They do need special love and attention. Have fun. We were given another dwarf to keep her company, but she could have cared less. She is the talk of the neighborhood.

Ditto on Bill and Janell as the best resources to help out. I had a dwarf several years ago and they are so incredibly sweet and yes, they absolutely have special needs. Bill and Janell can definitely help provide valuable information to you.

Best wishes,

Liz N.

Annabellarose, I just bought a dwarf too! Back in May I found a little filly that was 10 days and that was exactly what I was looking for so I bought her.But of course she couldn't come to live with me until she was weaned so I went to visit her at least once a week. There was another mare with a dwarf foal that was born 1 month ahead of mine in the same paddock. So I got to know the little dwarf Josie as I spent time with my Misty. After spending time gathering information here and on line I decided to get Josie too!! She is Misty's companion, buddy, sister, BFF what ever you want to call it but they should not have been separated. Now Josie will have a forever home with Misty and nothing will be expected of her but to live a happy life. I will take care of her as well as Misty. Already she is right at our sides as I train Misty to walk on a lead line!! She is definatly our loving little sidekick. You have done the "right thing" by giving that baby a good home where he can "just be himself" and be happy! So Congrats to you, I think both of us have begun a very loving and rewarding journey with our babies!!

I have three dwarf minis--a mare and two geldings-- and over 50 head of minis. Long story how they came to me. But for some reason, I was blessed to become their caregiver. Should I need to disburse my entire herd, these three would be the last to go. No one should purposely breed for them and should exercise caution not to breed known dwarf producers to each other. For me, these three little ones are gifts from God. They have formed their own little herd with the run of the big barn, back yard, back porch and where ever it is safe for them to be. Mine have good legs and can run and play. They have hoof issues and mostly teeth issues. Crowding in their sinuses makes them prone to infection and snotty noses, but we finally got that cleared. They are the only horses on the farm that not only know where their room is located, but will actually go their room when told to do so. Caution when administering anesthetic to these little ones! When it came time to geld the first boy, my vet did extensive research to determine why a large number of dwarfs did not recover from anesthetic. He was told by an expert from a vet teaching hospital that it is because their small windpipe can collapse. So to be safe, he and the second boy were gelded the old fashioned way with only local anesthetic. They were gelded with access to oxygen if needed. Both boys did well. The weanlings run with my 3 Ds and it has been beneficial for all of them. The little mare dwarf keeps them in line and they know to scatter when she pins her ears or swings her little behind around to give a swift kick. When children visit the farm and get the tour, they are most always attracted to the 3 Ds. After an interview for a school project, a first grader turned to her Dad and said "Guess which horse is my favorite" pointing at the little mare with a severe underbite. We asked if it was because she is sweet and loving. She replied that it is because "She is always smiling at me!" Might be a better world if we could look at it through a child's perspective sometimes. You will be the winner for having acquired this little one. Look for another for a companion. I recommend a supplement such as Purina Enrich 32 adjusted for their size. Regular farrier care from a good farrier and regular dental care from a knowledgable equine dental care provider are musts.

Back