I am so upset and disgusted with myself

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So very sorry for you're loss and can understand our feelings at this point. If I shared with you all the different ways my animals have managed to injure themselves . . . well you'd shake you're head. As for finding them dead, unfortunately that happens too. We found a yearling dead, not to be graphic, but still warm, no sign of injury, no evidence of a struggle or colic or anything - the only thing we found was a bit of blood in her right eye and by her right gums - so a kick to the head, or an anuerism or ?? We'll never know.

As for fencing injuries - try explaining 2 eye removals within 2 months to the vets without looking like you're poking horses eyes out! Then 2 leg injuries on two different types of fencing in two days time. I mean severed injuries. One took 3 weeks of daily bandage changes/multiple vet visits and was about $2K at the end to get him healthy. He stuck his leg through a cattle panel twice - looked like he wove his leg through the fencing - spiral cut from above the hock to above the coronet band - the hock joint was exposed - a real mess. Fortunately he stood still and waited - close to 6 hours with his leg like that, as there was quite a pool of blood under him when we found him. Most horses would have thrashed around and likely have died.

The vets told us if you put a horse in a padded room they'd probably swallow their tongue and choke - basically they find ways to get injured.

Again so sorry for you're loss, but you can only do you're best and sometimes our best can't prevent these things from happening.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Honey. You tried your best - you had the right fencing, you know immediately when something's not right. That's ALL anyone can do. You can't blame yourself, it's not fair to yourself. You can't control everything. All you can do is love them and try and you've done that. I know it still hurts.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Sometimes, things just don't make sense or seem fair. It was not your fault, just some freaky accident. Many others have had to travel this road, and every step is heartbreaking. Hope your heart heals soon. ((((HUGS))))

I am so sad for you...
default_sad.png

You didnt do anything wrong- accidents happen...

Love those other horses they will keep you sane...

Ugh I'm soo sorry. I've lost 2 goats this year myself. I do everything and for some reason something kills my male goats. I feed grain to prevent stones and hay twice a day, fresh water, mineral block. Its so hard doing everything you can and it just seems to go wrong. I've considered getting rid of all my animals as well.

I, too am sorry for your loss....what a heart wrenching ordeal for you..but please don't blame yourself....its not your fault and we will drive ourselves crazy with the "if onlys" when things go wrong. Sending you Blessings....be kind to your self and know you did your best..you loved her from the time she was born....now it was her time to go home.

I am so very sorry to hear about your dear Honey. I feel for your pain and anguish. But, please do forgive yourself. (Even when we do all we can to be responsible and keep them safe….. accidents still happen.)

Hugs... and my sincere sympathy,

Becky

Our sympathy to you.

It happens so easily and I know you just feel sick with the images in your mind forever.

The other night we were checking our barn camera and could hear our 2 border collies barking like crazy about 2 in the morning. (They live in kennels in the barn)

Hubby went to the barn to see if there was a stray animal or something strange going on and found a pregnant mare "caste" in her stall, feet straight up in the air and she couldn't get over, or away from the stall partition.

If the dogs had not been in a frenzy when we happened to look in the camera, then by the time we went to the barn at 6:30 I am sure she would have been dead. Hubby said she couldn't move and it took quite a "heave" to get her away from the wall so she could get up.

So please do not "beat yourself up" these things happen and only God knows why.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your little one, my prayers are with you, The other day my little colt was playing and reared up and got his leg caught in the fence, I was going out to help him but he got it out before I got there. My computer is right by a window that I can see all my minis so I seen him do it, I'm so glad he got his leg out.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't beat yourself up. We can only do so much, and like others have said, we can't be there 24/7. I've found horses hung up in my fence also, I'm thankful that they were still alive and I was able to extricate them, but it amazes me what they can get theirselves into. Yesterday I found my yearling colt with wire wrapped around his legs.....I was so glad that I was the one to feed because my husband just isn't very observant and probably wouldn't have noticed it. I got it unwrapped from his back legs and found that it was snared around his front leg too but thankfully not imbedded. I have no idea where the wire came from(well, unfortunately I do, I think the boys next door may have thought it "fun" to snare one of my horses....have to have a chat with mom now). Point is, things happen and we can't always be there. Again, my condolences for the loss of your Honey.

Thank you everyone for being here and understanding. We buried Honey in our pasture yesterday. I just loved this little girl so much, it's so hard to lose her and in such a horrible way.

[SIZE=12pt]Bless your heart, I'm so sorry you had to go through this
default_no.gif
. Just try and remember her sweet nicker and keep her happy memories in your heart.[/SIZE]

Again my condolences

Joy

i feel like an echo but please don't blame yourself, like the others said, accidents happen, we do our best but we can't always be with them. and they do have an amazing ability to get into trouble!

big HUGS to you and yours, so very sorry for your loss!

im soo sorry to hera of your loss
default_no.gif

and stop beating yourself up, ti really isnt you fualt.i was the same way when my rabbit died do to maggot infestation and i felt like such an idiot for not catching it sooner but you really cant with maggots(he was really old and it happened virtually in a matter if hours)i was never planning on ever owing animals agian but i eventually got over it and so currently im getting minis and totally cant wait so you will get through it eventually some how or another.

Do not give up, if you do there will be a hole in your chest.I know because some sick person snuck into my yard one early morning and opened up their corral gate letting all 4 of mine out.they went to the highway and a car hit and killed my lovely - 2 geldings and my mother mare but spared her filly.Now my yard is fortknox with gates badlocked and security cameras all over. I did not think I would ever replace my killed minis but my 8 month old filly needed a friend to help her deal with her loss.

Well you can never forget or replace your loss but you do move on and today 1 1/2 years later I am back to 4 minis but I never forget my first guys and still morn their loss. I moved on and now I have 4 where each one seems to have something that my lost ones had , yet they are all different and yet funny in their own way. You do move on but not replace or forget.

I would be lost if I did not have 4 small ones to care for

First, I want to say how sorry to hear you lost your home born mini this afternoon. That is a tragic loss but is an accident so please don't make it any harder on yourself. We all do the best we can for our animals but some things are beyond our control. One can't stay home 24 hours a day and watch their minis. You must not keep blaming yourself. May you find peace in what everyone writes you here. And bless you for caring so much.

Joyce

I'm soo very sorry for your loss and as others have said there isn't much anyone can do 24/7. Do forgive yourself and leave some room for the wonderful memories ~HUGS~

Latest posts

Back