I am psyched

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo

Reaction score
This is like a dream come true for me, something I have always dreamed of doing, but never really thought I would get the chance. KC Jones (for those of you who don't know he is a four time Timed Event Champion of the World. Has been to the NFR numerous times, puts on lots of seminars and such. He is also a tooth dentist, great guy, and excellent all-around horse hand.) Any way he came to our house yesterday and worked all the horses (and minis) teeth over. Any way last August he put on the first ever "The Talkin's Done" colt starting competition. Six guys, six never been touched 2 year old colts. Each person draws a colt out of a hat, then has three hours to see what he can accomplish with the horse. At the end of three hourse they have to lead the horse into the arena, get on, walk to the judge, then walk, trot, lope to the left. Stop, back up, turn around, and do it the other way. Then stop, back up, walk over a log, get off and pick up all four feet. Then you have 5 minutes to show whatever else you taught your colt to do ie... drag/carry a barrel, allow you to stand on the saddle, crack a whip, etc..... There are four judges who judge everything from the second you enter the round pen until you are finished. I watched the video and thought the guys entered did a great job; but now drumroll please........................... KC asked if I could attend this coming October :aktion033: :new_multi:
default_thumbup.gif
: I am so honored that he even invited me. I can't wait to go, even if I win last place, just the fact that he wanted me there is reward enough for me. I am so excited already that I just can't stand it. I just had to share with you all, I'm sure some of you will think that it is moving too fast with a colt, but I watched the video and thought that everyone really tried to work with the colts. If you'd like to read a little more visit KC Jones Colt Starting Competition

CONRADULATIONS. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Good Luck, can feel your excitement on the web.

:xreiter: :xreiter: :xreiter:

[SIZE=12pt]Congratulations - how exiting for you!! :aktion033: :new_multi: :488: Good luck![/SIZE]

Lori

Oh my gosh, that is way too cool! I was just reading in Horse & Rider about a similar competition with top trainers & this past winner was a woman!! Way to go women, time to show the men that women can compete with the best of them (and win)....

Way to go, I hope you take it...actually like you said, you are already won just by being asked.....esp by KC Jones, that is wayyyyyy tooo awesome.

Can't wait, you have to keep us posted!! :aktion033:

WOW! That sounds so neat!! You will have a ball there!! GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to hear your report back to us on this in the Fall! You go GIRL!! Show them GUYS how it's done! :aktion033:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: YEAH!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU :saludando:

:new_shocked: WOW that sounds fantastic. Keep us posted on it as you get ready. I would have to get some tips from Bonnie to do anything in that time frame.
default_yes.gif
:

Sorry to rain on your parade BUT Two years old is WAY too young to be doing this with a horse and three hours is ludicrously short a time. Sorry but it takes me six weeks - at least- to do this sort of work, never before three years old and hopefully not before four.

I think it's totally wrong.

Anyone with a bit of horse sense can break a horse, it takes time, care and love to "make" it.

I wonder how many of these "broken" colts will end up leading useful lives. or even living past eight years old without breaking down???

Sorry :no:

:aktion033: WAY TO GO KERA!!!!!!! :aktion033:

You sound like you have a really good way with horses, I wouldn't rule out kicking some boy-butt on this one Kiddo!
default_wink.png
:

We are just thrilled for you, and expect a FULL report when you are done!!! How Exciting!!! :aktion033:

Nancy & Mike :bgrin

Hey everyone thanks for the encouragement, I'm excited already. There will definately be a report after I come home from it. Hey Rabbit, I knew there would be people disagreeing with me and that's most certainly your right. Just so you know though none of those colts were "broken" at any point during this and they were all turned out after this for another year before anything else was done with them. They weren't abused, worked into the ground, or any such thing. They were worked with and taught in a good way. I'm sure I won't change your mind as you won't change mine, but hey we can just agree to disagree, right
default_yes.gif
: ?

I wrote about a 5 page essay here and then deleted it because it was one of the biggest soap box pet peeves of mine that I feel very strongly about.

I'll say one thing and keep it brief: If this guy had invited me to do such a thing, I would have taken it as an insult to my intelligence and said a great big "thanks but no thanks" in lew of me wanting to safe my butt for posterity and besides, I'm not ready to donate my brain to science yet. I have my code of ethics about the way I prefer to handle a horse and safety for both me and the horse is imperative. Doing such things such as rushing a horse to do anything in haste so you can be the one to stand up in the saddle on top of him etc. in my humble opinion is not only a danger to both horse and "trainer" but completely uncalled for. Some people will do anything to win a ribbon, and no ribbon would make me lower my standards of horsemanship and participate in such nonsense.

You know I like you girl, but I can't be happy for you this time. I would encourage you not to lend yourself to something like an event such as this that can end up with disastrous results. There will be hurts at this event and I hope you will not be one of them and have the good sense to take a stand against this three hour thing and just say no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another "long-timer" weighing in-have to agree with Rabbit and Marty. From your time on this Forum, Voodoo, I see you as good-hearted and a genuine horse-lover--but I agree with the two above-I would pass on participating in this, for all of the reasons both have already stated. There is little 'point' for this kind of stuff--who really benefits? It's just for bragging rights--when the best 'bragging right' is to use a kind yet firm patience, treating every horse as the individual it is, and TAKING YOUR TIME, once the horse has the maturity to do the work, to bring one along SLOWLY to allow it to develop both mentally AND physically. I can certainly understand the attraction to you, to participate, but consider--do you 'need' the 'glory' ?

There is an increasingly tendency, which I find disturbing, to work very young horses 'WAY beyond their physical and mental capacity--leading to too many 'broke-down'-physically, or mentally, or both-and then thrown-away--horses at 'way too young an age--for example, these Futurities in all sorts of heavy-duty performance events-for horses of such young age! (Has anyone noticed, even the AMHA is starting it???)-and don't even get me started on racing.....

Not wishing to be mean, just putting forth some food for thought-have 'been there, done that', BTW-I was NIRA in college, rodeoed(barrels, poles, goat tying; never had access to the stock for roping events), and also both before and after-and have trophies/buckles to prove it...and I started training my own horses when I was around 14, but, experience is a great teacher, and I have learned,and am STILL learning(expect to until the day I die!)better ways.

Best wishes....

Margo

Latest posts

Back