I AM LIVID !! MY HORSES MANE WAS CUT OFF AT WORLDS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many organizations "suspend" members for a specified time (one year or more) if they do something illegal.

This can be knowingly selling a misrepresented horse, or a horse that is no longer an AMHA horse as one, to things such as this.

I have often felt I wished AMHA did PUBLICALLY suspend membership to certain individuals that were dishonest.

The money, time and especially the LOVE we have for our horses, should not be met by this kind of action being tolerated.

I would post WANTED posters EVERYWHERE at Worlds, including the bathrooms, with a photo of your horse.

I would be afraid to leave my horse in the stall unattended after such an incident. That is just plain scary.

I don't know what they said or what they promised to say, but regardless I believe that they SHOULD have given more than those anemic little statements Sheri added into her initial post--they SHOULD have been very specific, and called Sheri out into the arena so everyone would know which horse was being referred to, and said point blank that the horse's missing mane was due to VANDALISM--vandalism that occurred sometime during this time frame....and then specified the time that Sheri last saw her horse with his mane and when she discovered it had been chopped off. They should have stated point blank that this sort of thing is completely unacceptable at any of the registry shows and if anyone has information on who did this nasty thing to please come forward and give that information to show management or to the local police who are investigating. There would be absolutely no liability in announcing this, because they would just be saying here is the deed, please help us catch the person who did it. They wouldn't be naming names or pointing fingers at anyone. And if they truly didn't want it posted all over LB or anywhere else on the 'net then I guess their attempt to keep things hush hush failed dismally, because now here it is.

In view of this incident and others, I have to think that maybe shows of this caliber need to put security cameras in every barn aisle during the show--position cameras so that no one can enter or exit any of the stable areas without being caught on camera. That would deter some people from trying anything stupid like this, and if someone does do something stupid anyway, the tape from the cameras would give a pretty good clue to the identity of the offender.

I'm so sorry, Sheri, that someone did this to you and your horse and ruined the show for you. Good sportsmanship is sadly lacking in some people! Good for you for going out into the ring anyway, and good for you for posting this here so that word gets around that someone did this to you.

Well it is anyhow, and the more the word spreads, maybe the culprit will slip up and say something to someone sometime. There is nothing wrong or that is not a problem legally by making an announcement that AMHA wont tolerate that type of behavior......... I wish they would have said something. Oh well.

And the ApHC used to publicly list in the breed journal who all was suspended and who all was off suspension. Even for a $5.00 bounced check!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did NOT mean to imply that they were responsible for what happened. We all know the risks we take any time we take our horses out into public. There are crazies everywhere. What I said was that IF AMHA backed out of what they told Sherri they would do then they are NOT helping to find out who did this by trying to cover it up as an "incident." They are helping the perpetrator get away with this by not doing everything in their power to bring this to light - and that includes making a public announcement.

The show is still going on, correct? If I was showing there and had horses there I would be very upset to know this was covered up and the crazy person who did this was still running around. YOU are only assuming this is someone Sherri knows...what if it isn't?? Don't you think the other exhibitors should be made aware this has happened so they can be on guard, too? What if Sherri's horse isn't the only target??

I don't hold AMHA responsible for one crazy person - I hold them responsible for trying to "save face" by covering it up IF what was told Sherri would be done was not done - and I don't know Sherri so have no reason to doubt what she was told!

If they went back on this promise then that is wrong and cowardly on the part of AMHA!!! They are just as responsible for helping the perpetrator get away with this by trying to cover it up just to avoid bad publicity. Well - now they are still getting the publicity and everyone knows that they are more interested in looking good than standing by their members!

There was no legal ramification for letting people know what had happened and asking them to come forward if they had seen something. It wasn't like they were naming names of suspects. Shame on AMHA!

Sheri - I am SO sorry that this happened to you and to your gelding. It is too bad that one bad apple ruins things for everyone. I hope they find the person responsible and ban them from showing horses in ANY association (I know that couldn't actually be accomplished) but at the very least AMHA!

Barbara

Thanks Barbara, Well said !! This is exactly how I feel. The AMHA is not standing up for their members if they say one thing and do another. No it is not AMHA's fault that it happened, but it should not be sweep under the rug and it will just go away.

YOU are only assuming this is someone Sherri knows...what if it isn't?? Don't you think the other exhibitors should be made aware this has happened so they can be on guard, too? What if Sherri's horse isn't the only target??
So Sherri's horse was targeted at random? Out of 800 horses there? IF it was done to keep him from winning as she suggests, someone KNEW when her class was... they knew when she was showing and they knew when they had to get in there and do it when no one was around. IF that was the case, it would not be a random event. Not in any way.

And when you are at any large facility like that, you are always careful and on guard... of everything. I came back to our stalls at World's one year and a couple had just taken our Grand Champion mare out of her stall into the aisle so they could look at her... they had put her halter on her and yet were not even holding on to it. No harm was done and that was during one of the few intervals that no one was at the stalls. Was that AMHA's fault? No.

Trying to blame AMHA for this or suggesting that they are trying to let the person get away with it is a bit over the top, IMO...

I don't know what they said or what they promised to say, but regardless I believe that they SHOULD have given more than those anemic little statements Sheri added into her initial post--they SHOULD have been very specific, and called Sheri out into the arena so everyone would know which horse was being referred to, and said point blank that the horse's missing mane was due to VANDALISM--vandalism that occurred sometime during this time frame....and then specified the time that Sheri last saw her horse with his mane and when she discovered it had been chopped off. They should have stated point blank that this sort of thing is completely unacceptable at any of the registry shows and if anyone has information on who did this nasty thing to please come forward and give that information to show management or to the local police who are investigating.

My thoughts exactly. I am so sorry this has happened. Such a shame that jealousy can rear it's ugly head. I'm just glad that they stopped at his mane and didn't hurt him physically....that is so very scary!!!

Tag -

I REALLY wish you would read what I am saying instead of what you think I am saying.
wink.gif

I am in NO way blaming AMHA for the horse's mane being cut. I am NOT saying they are actively trying to help the person responsible get away with it!

What I AM saying is that by NOT making the announcement they said they would make, they ARE making it easier for the person to get away with this. If people don't know it happened then how can they step forward to help with information?? If that is "over the top" then so be it. Protecting all 800 horses at the show is not an ability, nor a responsibility, that AMHA has. BUT helping a member by doing something within their power such as making an announcement IS.

I am also assuming, as are you, that the person responsible for this was a competitor that would be showing against Sherri's gelding. But what makes you think they will stop at Sherri's horse?? What if they have multiple horses there entered in multiple classes? If they got away with it once, maybe they will try and hinder their competition again.

Barbara

That's silly that things weren't followed through in regard to the public announcement. The guilty party needs to know they are being investigated.

There are two possibilities in this..........

1. That it was a personal attack to just YOU.

2. That it was someone you are showing against. (I bet this is it.)

Every exhibitor you are showing against may be worried that they are suspect.)

Right now I'm feeling very sorry for your horse. He KNOWS something has been done to him......poor guy.

I am so sorry, you must have a idea who?? AMHA should annouce what happen, judges should know why your gelding has no mane.

What goes around comes around. The person or persons that did this to your gelding will get his or hers BIG time!

Go out there and show your heart out.

I don't know you but I want to say I'm sorry this happened to you and to your gelding. As I sit here thinking of something to write I'm pretty much at a loss of words. I'd be afraid of this person that did this, what if they have a child that plays sports, are they going to hurt someones child just to insure their child excels? This may sound dramatic, but it happens and there are so many sick people in our world and you have experienced the acts of one if them.

Sheri i am so sorry. This is such an outrage! What some people won't do to win a ribbon makes me sick. This kind of garbage is what takes the whole fun out of showing. If someone had a problem with me fine, deal with me, but darnit, do not take it out on my horse! Do not even think of touching my horse because I will come at you like you cannot imagine. How dare they!!! I hope the guilty person is found and arrested, kicked out of AMHA forever, and someone punches him out in the face.

Hold your head high and get back in that ring and show the heck out of your beloved horse more proud that you ever have been before. You can do it!

A number of years ago I had a friend that showed in the Quarter Horse circut. Some thought she bragged too much about her mare (so I am told by others) and one day she went down to feed her mare who had a very long flowing tail that she always kept braided and wrapped up CUT OFF right to the horses dock. The poor mare was distressed for months and could not even swat at fly's. We had to make her a fake tail to protect herself and relieve her stress.

We know this was a personal stab at the owner .. it takes a sick sick cowardly person to harm an animal to make a point to the animals owner. It took a long time but the mare now has a full tail and is retired from showing and is happily raising her babies.

Fortunatly mini's grow manes much faster than tails.

I do not show mini's but I am so very sorry for you and your boy and I am glad he was not perminently harmed by this loser. He must be a gorgeous boy that they were very threatened by his sucsess.

Hold your head high and show your boy proud and don't let them beat you !

I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel for you. I just don't have the words. Maybe the person that did this has an accomplice. Those kind of people are usually cowards and need backup, so maybe someone will slip up and you will find out who it was.

I really have no words for this
no.gif
I'm so sorry Sherry, it's just unthinkable. My heart goes out to you and I can imagine your outrage. Reminds me of when Stacy had to have her horse on camera and guarded 24/7.

My thoughts on the perp...

Karma is a bi#ch and I agree it's someone who is familiar with your horse. Doesn't mean they are someone you associate with, but most certainly were to show against.

My thoughts on the judges...

IF your horse was in his normal show shape and he showed as he normally does, the gate makes NO sense. Shame on them.

My thoughts on Jim (AMHA Pres)...

I think he really tries to do the right thing. I also think he has bigger pair than recent presidents have had and he isn't afraid to use them. My guess is he wanted to do what he said he was going to do, but then was advised not to. I believe his heart is in the right place.

Again, I'm sorry.

I think this was a horrible thing and I would be very upset if it were me however I think we are all jumping to some conclusions..

First that it was done cause the horse won last year... could be- or could be someome had something else totally personal against the owner.. either way the end result is the same and not ok!

Second- that the judges are not able to look at conformation and are not educated enough to make a proper decision and gave this horse the gate due soley to his mane. While I can understand why the OP feels this way and again totally sympathize with her. To assume that this year the horse got the gate due to poor judging is not fair to the judges. Perhaps mane or no mane he would have gotten the gate. It happens winning horses do not always place-of course given the situation and horrible thing done to the OPs horse she will never know if it was luck of the draw or not when it comes to getting the gate

All of that said while of course no show grounds can be responsible for horses or tack short of already using security at a place like Nationals or Worlds with so many exhibitors and spectators alike wandering around at all times it is very hard to determine who belongs and who doesnt.

Sad day when we have to think about hiring private security or making sure someone is always back at the stalls but guess the real world has seeped into our miniature horse shows
default_sad.png

This is all pretty frustrating and scary to read.

Why did your horse get the gate? That is bugging me to no end! Was it because of the mane? If so, thats not fair, I mean seriously what could they have been thinking?
no.gif

I only show locally, and I do get nervous leaving my horses in stalls on the show grounds at night. I think I need to sleep in the aisle of the barn from now on.

Its just crazy, I am so sorry some psycho did this to your horse. I, too, would be LIVID!

That's terrible! The good news is his mane will grow back. I feel sorry that the person who did this has low standards to do such a thing. Security should be boosted with around the clock watch. It could have been worse!

Latest posts

Back