I am frightened!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle

Reaction score
Last night when I fed the horses one of my sons riding ponies wouldn't go and eat her hay, she kept standing at the gate and calling me. The temperature has dropped significantly in the last two days and it has been -4 / 25° Fahrenheit at night so I think she wants to come in. I wasn't prepared for this as I was planning to leave them out all year if it continues to not snow. Well this morning I had the fright of my life when I opened the gate and there was an extra horse in my pregnant mini's field
new_shocked.gif
The pony had broken through the electric tape on 3 paddocks trying to get to the stables but the mini's field has a wooden fence on the last side so she got stuck there. When I arrived she had already taken control of the gate area and the others were stood at a distance, Odette is my mini top dog and she WILL NOT have given up HER gate without a fight. I am so worried that she will have received kicks to her tummy or worse her head! It was still dark when I fed but they were quite happy once I got everyone home and they ate their breakfast.

Should I call the vet anyway for a check up? I will go down in half an hour as soon as the kids go to school and give them a thorough check over.

OH God I feel sick
crybaby.gif

The first thing I would not do is "panic". If they are all eating and appear to be ok, I would just keep an eye on them.. They are far from stupid and the usual boss mare may have realized in very short order that she would not win so stood back till you got there. If there is anything unusual in her behavior then call the vet. If there isn't anything strange, he probably would not find anything anyway. Again, I would probably check her pretty often for the next day or so---every couple of hours--to see if she does anything out of the ordinary. I pray all is well.

I agree with fancy shadow. horses get kicked mostly in the chest or hind end. Rarely in vital spots in my experience. The goal beeing more to intimidate than injure seriously. Bitting is used a lot to. Really hope all is well. Chances are she will be fine. Good idea to check on her often for the next few days tough.

I have just checked again and all is quiet. No signs of kicks or bites on anyone. The pony keeps calling to Odette who calls back, it looks like they have made friends
new_shocked.gif
I will go down again in an hour.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Renee

Try not to panic Renee - easier said than done I know! From what I think you are saying, you have two possible 'problems'? You have to find out what is causing the rather unusual behaviour of the mare who seems to need to be in her stable so much that she broke through the electic fencing. And then you have to see if Odette is ok after a possible 'arguement' over her rightful position at the gate of her field.

I would think that Odette will be fine - horses are not stupid and seem to realise when something is not 'right' with another of their kind, and will step back out of the way rather than cause more upset. But give her a check over and just keep an eye on her for the next few days.

It is your son's riding pony that needs to be concerning you, perhaps you could bring her in for the night tonight, just to see if she is happier and eats her food/hay normally? Something is obviously bothering her - if not the weather, could it be something else in her field? She was obviously expecting you to sort things out for her (by calling/speaking to you) and when you didn't, she tried to sort it for herself! For whatever reason, if she really is determind to spend the nights in her stable, you may just have to give in to her, however annoying it might be, simply to avoid a repeat of her night time 'activities'!

Do let us know how you get on and if you find anything unusual this morning after the boys have gone to school. Hope all is well with Odette.
default_yes.gif

LOL!! Renee, we seems to have posted at the same time - except that it take me a lot longer to 'waffle' along with what I am trying to say!!

Glad that all seems well with both of them - hopefully you can get it sorted before tonight.
default_yes.gif

The girls all seem fine this morning so hopefully no harm was done. phewwww.

I think the cold weather must have killed the battery to my electric fence cos Dipinto got out as well yesterday afternoon
rolleyes.gif
I closed them all up last night and went and bought 2 new batteries this morning. I will continue to put them in at night now as it was way too frightening for my liking.

oooh how scary for you Renee!

hope everything is alright with you and your girls!

please keep us updated with how she is!!! and the riding horse!!

I moved Fancy home to intensify his boot camp
laugh.gif
he is such a jerk and it is getting on my nerves
rolleyes.gif
but I think Boxer (matteo's pony) has fallen in love and is looking for him. she spends all day at the gate calling
wacko.gif
maybe she thinks he is her baby or even worse maybe she fancies him
new_rofl.gif

Well I think she has good taste - he's a very handsome lad!!!

I moved Fancy home to intensify his boot camp
laugh.gif
he is such a jerk and it is getting on my nerves
rolleyes.gif
but I think Boxer (matteo's pony) has fallen in love and is looking for him. she spends all day at the gate calling
wacko.gif
maybe she thinks he is her baby or even worse maybe she fancies him
new_rofl.gif

default_new_rofl.gif
Silly Boxer! I haven't been online in awhile and was sure missing everyone! So glad that everyone is okay Renee. I was worried for you when I read the title...

Oh Dear..very scarey but sounds like all is ok thankfully..the same happened to me with mine if you remember but I see it now as a blessing as they would proberbly all still be living separately..glad all is ok and its just a "love thing" lol
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back