Hypothetical question for those with AMHR/ASPC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
OK, Hypothetically here......Just suppose someone
whistling.gif
had the wild and crazy idea to try to get a Shetland/mini cross mare. Nice enough to be a show/broodmare, but gentle with kids...... what do you suppose that someone
whistling.gif
would need to expect price wise and where would be some recommended farms for hunting.....supposing that someone
whistling.gif
wanted to do a little window shopping
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Now assuming that this someone found something nice...anyone here want to adopt an older someone who would soon be divorced
biggrin.gif

Don't know why but I think this someone has gotten bitten by the Shetland fever bug and is trying hard to behave, but it may not be working LOL.

[SIZE=14pt]I have a very nice amhr national reserve champion mare that is aspc amhr. She is a dam of distinction also....she cost me 5500.[/SIZE]

I know of a filly that was purchased at the Taylor sale for 2500 and sold at nationals 5 months later for 6000. I am especting a foal next summer that will be out of the above mare and a black and white amhr aspc stallion that will be amhr aspc and IF , and that is a big IF it is for sale if it is a filly will be between 5000 and 8000.

That said the double registered fillies at Doc Taylors sale sold for between 2500 and 6000. last may.

He has a black and white double reg broodmare for sale right now for 4500 but she is an older mare. I know that a friend of mine has a black and white double registered mare for 5000 right now.

Is that hypothetical enough for you???
wink.gif

Lyn

places to look, Buckeye Walnut Creek, Dawns Chase Farm, L&K Miniatures and Shetlands. Michigan Pony Farm. Filipowicz Farm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I knew everyone said there was a decent market for them. I'd reckon so. I imagine if someone
whistling.gif
decided to look into these. They'd probably not only be divorced, but would probably have heart troubles too from sticker shock recovery LOL. They sure are nice to look at though. I hadn't given them much thought until this last year. I had seen some of the Seth Thomas lines and for the most part wasn't hugely impressed, but the more shows I hit and really got to watching the B classes, the more I was liking what I was seeing. Now how many are Shetland crosses or just have a significant percentage Shetland background, that I don't know. Looks like somebody has more research to do yet LOL.
biggrin.gif

[SIZE=14pt]L&K will have 3 other awesome % shetlands next year also. Let me share with you, and I hope that the McCarthys dont mind , but they brought 4 babies to nationals, 3 part shetlands of at least 50% and 1 pure shetland, all also minis and they sold ALL OF THEM within the first day for a total of over 30,000.00! I was there and I saw it! Lee Crutchfield, noted amha judge and handler bought 3 himself! They went on to win their futurity and open classes. Price ranged from 4500 to 8000. They turned down 10k for their B stallion Michigans Yankee Clipper a bay and white pinto. They said 15k might have bought him. Bruces stallion Michigans Sweet and sour father of my Howie and the bun in Carbons oven, went to Kay Marchall in TX for between 8k and 10k and Im not sure exactly how much. The baby that Carbon is carrying will be 75% shetland since Carbons grandma is that National winning shetland mare I mentioned above and Sweet N Sour is 100% shetland. The market is definitely there for the good B horses.[/SIZE]

I have a 100% shetland/mini that is an A and will stay an A at 32.5" He will be standing at stud in spring in NY if you have a really nice B or even A mare that you want to breed to him.

Sweet Tart is the only Sweet Thing left in NY to breed to now that Sweet N Sour is in TX.

Lyn

Thanks Lyn!!! I just really needed to be frightened a little more
wink.gif
LOL, I've always found that I have Cadilac taste, I just wish I didn't have a Yugo budget
rolleyes.gif
wacko.gif
I swear everytime I see anything I like, it's always the top notch stuff and hubby just doesn't understand these things.
biggrin.gif
Now if I could find someone to breed a horse that was green with a yellow mane and tail and had a big marking that looked like a jumping deer across it's chest he might just go for that. Of course it would have to be stocky 'cause he just might try to pull the cultivator with it
new_shocked.gif
Seriously though. Thanks for the info. I do like the looks, but I'm still small potatoes and new enough to breeding that I need to go slow and work my way up to that kind of budget. Now if you'd like to adopt me and my two kids (who can both handle a horse pretty well) then you could have three good stable helpers and we could play with all the pretty ponies
wub.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Lol..... do you know how much money you would save in the long run if you would buy an upper end horse next year rather than the lower to middle end and hope to work your way up.... Thats what I did for 18 years and I have spent less money and have fewer but better horses and finally have babies coming that I have a waiting list for. I think I like that better than having 5-7 babies that I cant sell that I have to give away practically like I have in years past. I know that Eddie McCarthy has bought the top dollar mares at Doc Taylors past 4 sales and is now getting his money back.....even the one he bought this year he made 250% profit on in 5 months. My husband wasnt convinced either till he starting being there when these things were happening.[/SIZE]

My two favorite A mares are 50% shetland Carbon and Indy and they only cost me 2500.each. They are full sisters. I feel like that was a bargain since Carbon has gone top ten both years that I showed her. She is now bred to a National Futurity winner who is 100% shetland and that is one of my most anticipated babies for next year.

Compare it like this for hubby, this is what Bruce told Barry. Say you buy 5 mares over a couple of years for 1000 a a piece. It costs you 200 a month to feed 5 mares so you are spencing 2400 a year to feed and care for them. now after 2 years you have spent almost 10,000 by the time they have babies to sell. All 5 mares have colts that year that sell for 500 a piece. not even accounting for the foals vet and farrier costs you only make 2500 that year. so you are 7500 still in the hole. Say these same mares do that for three more years and it has taken you then 7 years to still not break even because you have to feed these mares every year for just about what you make on the colts.

ok, so now you spend 2500 for two good % fillies that are at least 2 years old. the next year you breed them at 500 a piece stud fee to a Shetland/mini with a title. you are only paying about 100 a month to feed and keep them. you have now had these 2 mares for 2 years at a total cost of about 8500. They each have colts that you have people waiting to buy at 1500 to 2500 a piece, so that third year you recoup 3000 to 5000 of your initial 5000. you breed them back again to outside stud maybe the same one spending 1000 in stud fees and 1200 for their upkeep. the next spring they have fillies for you that sell for 2500-4000 a piece. That year you make money even if they still have both colts.

Fewer more expensive higher quality horses with good advertisement is far cheaper in the long run than working your way up. I learned that the hard way after many years of losing money. Now even with show and trainer expenses we are coming out ahead and Im feeding only 10 horses rather than 25.

Lyn

I do agree with the less but better theory I just feel "comfortable" at the level I am now. I only have 1 stallion and two mares, one of which is on lease. (I have 5 horses total -a couple others are to play around with, but I'm talking breeding stock) The first foal more than paid for the mare herself and we've sold all the foals we've tried to without any problems. So I'm not really too far behind money wise. If I only had broodstock, I'd actually be ahead, but you know how it is, you can't just have one of these critters LOL. But don't think I'm ignoring your comment either as for the most part I agree with you, it's just that everyone has there own situation to have to work with. You have excellent horses and I commend you for having a good eye.

[SIZE=14pt]I hear you.... thanks. Sometimes I get on a roll, soapbox whatever.... sorry.Lyn[/SIZE]

Another way of looking at it, and Lyn sort of spelled it out too, is that it costs the same amount of money to feed and care for the lesser quality horse(s) as the top quality ones.
wink.gif

MA

PS: If you are seriously interested in the Shetland/Mini cross, it's the same as with minis -- do your homework and shop around. And that's half the fun too!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi jackie

i have seen them in every price range just like the minis. Anywhere from 800-8000. Just have to shop around and know what you want and are looking for. Also if you can find a weanling shetland that will most likely stay under and hardship later you will find the prices a bit more reasonable.

Kay

I don't often read the Pony Board, but I'm sure glad I did today!!! The information you provided, Lyn, was fascinating! Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back