Hyperbike vs. Cart - Is one more safe than the other?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baptism

Reaction score
I like the look of Hyperbikes, they look like a lot of fun. Are you closer to the ground? Do you have more control or the opportunity for more control in an emergency? Do you feel more safe with one as compared to a cart?

Thanks

Funny that you should ask that, as I was reading about this same thing on a Combined Driving List, I frequent. It was mentioned there, that there had been several up-sets with the hyperbikes, with the horse and driver both going over. I think it is probably very much a case of realizing what you are driving, and taking precautions accordingly.

In an emergency, I personally think a cart with basket is better, as that is where my feet "want to be" when I am in that type of situation...been there----done that.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I also find a cart much more comfortable for my trail-treking, as my feet and legs get tired in a roadster-bike position.

The roadster-bike/hyperbike, IMHO, is great for what they are designed for...racing, or roadster classes, not trail driving.

Sue_C. said:
Funny that you should ask that, as I was reading about this same thing on a Combined Driving List, I frequent. It was mentioned there, that there had been several up-sets with the hyperbikes, with the horse and driver both going over. I think it is probably very much a case of realizing what you are driving, and taking precautions accordingly.
In an emergency, I personally think a cart with basket is better, as that is where my feet "want to be" when I am in that type of situation...been there----done that.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I also find a cart much more comfortable for my trail-treking, as my feet and legs get tired in a roadster-bike position.

The roadster-bike/hyperbike, IMHO, is great for what they are designed for...racing, or roadster classes, not trail driving.
Ah but Sue, let's be honest here. That discussion was pertaining to the once or twice that vehicle has gone over. Ever. Easy entry carts upset so often that it's standardly accepted as something they will do in an accident! :lol: With the Hyperbike it's so rare that it warranted discussion that it had done it at all. :aktion033:

Now don't get me wrong, I agree with you otherwise. Every driver needs to be supremely aware of the limitations of the vehicle they are driving and act accordingly. I can see how you could easily upset the Hyperbike if you didn't drive it the way it is meant to be driven. If you just sit there, or worse, lean the wrong way when it's tipping, it will go over just like any other cart. But if you treat it more like snowboarding or skiing and bend your knees to absorb shock and counter-balance fast turns then the Hyperbike is one of the most stable vehicles I've ever had the pleasure to drive. It is not much wider than an average vehicle (we are measured at ADS events) but the seat is slung much lower between relatively large wheels and this gives it a low center of gravity. The frame flexes like a giant spring on turns so as long as you have weighed your leg against the appropriate stirrup during that turn, your wheels are going to stay on the ground. You are so close to the horse that it turns on a dime and there is less tension throughout the structure of the vehicle when it attempts to make fast turns. Besides, do you know how much FUN that flexing and slaloming sensation is??
default_thumbup.gif
: It's the same as the big horses sliding their wheels only less dust and under control. :bgrin

I agree that baskets can feel more secure when you are trying to brace against a panicked horse, the problem for me is that with a standard vinyl bench seat I can't brace very well. Too many times now I have slid across the seat at just the wrong critical moment and very nearly caused an overturn. I either need to get a fabric seat, apply non-skid material to the one I've got, or get a marathon wedge seat so that I stay in place. The Hyperbike has a bucket seat and you are braced firmly between your two stirrups and the seat back when properly adjusted. You aren't going ANYWHERE unless you are supremely unlucky or stupid.

I do find that my legs will get more tired in a stirrup then they do flat on a basket floor. That's just a fact of life. On the plus side, once you get used to it it's a great workout! LOL.

One last note in response to the design comment- roadster bikes and the original sling-seat Hyperbike are designed for racing in straight lines on flat tracks and would not be safe anywhere else. I would not drive them out of a ring myself. But the current Hyperbike was designed for abuse on the worst kind of trail. Bob totally over-manufactures these things, they are made to be driven into a brick wall and bounce off shiney. I've been blessed to have the designer with me at all my events to make corrections and custom-fit the 'Bike to me personally and I can tell you there's a huge difference between how it rides and how safe it is when someone who doesn't know how to fit it, like me, puts it together and when it is assembled and fitted as the manufacturer intended. I would think this is the case with many things. Perfectly good harnesses can become major dangers when not fitted correctly for instance. But if you have the stirrups the right length and angle for you, it can be very comfortable and stable at the same time.

I personally love my Hyperbike and would trust it on any kind of terrain. EDUCATE yourself on anything you purchase. Talk to the dealer, the manufacturer, the designer, other people who have purchased them and had experiences both good and bad. Then make your decision.

I had one guy look at the Hyperbike in person and say he'd never ride in one because he'd used a Jerald sulky on his pony once and when the animal had stopped he'd vaulted right up on it's back. Well of course he did! I would have too. But a sulky is not the same as the Hyperbike and has no features what so ever that would prevent that sort of thing. It wasn't designed for fast stops and sudden turns. The Hyperbike was designed by a former Boy Scout- it is prepared for ANYTHING! LOL

Leia

Hah, I feel INFINITELY safer and more in control in my Hyperbike.

It is awesomely secure. Yes, you are closer to the ground: Two advantages: Lower center of gravity = LESS chance of turning over (have never turned mine over, ever, not even with one wheel two feet off the ground going over a small curb/wall/hill/log), and well, if'n you do fall out, not so far to fall!

The only "over" incident we have had was a young stallion I was training/in the early stages of driving. We were driving with two mares and a gelding (I believe...may have been one mare, HIS mare, Mouse's mother). The mare and the gelding wanted to go South and I, for training purposes, wanted myself and the stallion to take a short trip North. Well, this did NOT go over big and he freaked out on me quietly, but I insisted. From out of nowhere (well, I knew he was upset, but I didn't quite expect this), he reared up, hard and fast, more like threw himself backward. He went straight up over me, and was held in the shafts. I watched him, suspended over me and I curled my knees up to my chest. GTO landed with his back on my shins, and I quickly deposited him to the right on his right side, and I stood up, GTO stood up (still harnessed securely and not injured at all, we were on the sand). I checked him and his fittings over, and then I sat down in my seat and told him to "TROT OUT" as I had been prior. GTO learned that rearing gets him nothing/nowhere, and I learned how tough those 'bikes can be and that something I THOUGHT might be a disaster was really a non-event.

I can't tell you how many times we've turned over an Easy Entry and your feet tend to hang/snag in that expanded grate and the side, etc. I guess there is something to the size of it, but it doesn't make me feel secure because, ultimately, my "laws" are those of gravity and the Hyperbike is superior in that way.

I feel it is the vehicle of choice (for only one person at a time, there is its downfall to me, but that is the way it's made) for trails and pleasure. It is comfortable and enjoyable. I can dangle my feet around the outside and down if I want a break, or inside and down and use my "brakes" to help reinforce a young horse w/out using the bit if I need to (yeah I know they need to learn the real deal, but it helps in some situations to have this backup).

Anyway, I've had my Hyperbike for 7 years and we have done some fun/crazy things with it such as pulling a fast figure-eight at a gallop, etc.

It is not intended to be a "do everything" cart. If you want one of those, you may need an Easy Entry, but if you want a "sports car" of carts, try it out.

I have had horses stop dead from a full out gallop and have NEVER felt anywhere near going onto the horse's back. I once had a stallion perform the airs above the ground just like a Lippizzan and in the process we hit a curb and went over it up and down. I was never in danger of being kicked nor was I anything but concerned with controlling him as the cart was secure and his position was just right in the shafts (important things to mind).

Hope this helps! If you were near, you could come try mine out, I don't mind loaning mine for tryouts at all. If I can swing it, I will be getting a second one, too.

Liz

Too many times now I have slid across the seat at just the wrong critical moment and very nearly caused an overturn.
THIS is very true. My friend Kari had this happen several times when her quiet, calm gelding Rudy decided something had inspired him to become a cutting horse or barrel racer.

I had it happen to me, too, when I was 8 months pregnant and ended up lying on my side in the sand w/a wave coming after me. It's way too hard to brace and stay in the center on those seats and forbid if you've just cleaned it and used something like Armor All. *LOL*

I have never come out of the seat of the Hyperbike. Ever. At least not unless I chose to stand up and do so.

No, I don't sell them! Only Graham does.
default_smile.png

Ah but Sue, let's be honest here. That discussion was pertaining to the once or twice that vehicle has gone over. Ever.
I did not say it was "all the time"...I was only stating what I had READ, on the List, as I even stated. I don't think that should be infired that my honesty is to be questioned. :eek: :bgrin
default_rolleyes.gif
: If you would read on, I also said that "I think it is probably very much a case of realizing what you are driving, and taking precautions accordingly."

That said...if you regularly turn-over in your easy entry carts, somebody made them wrong...or you better be more careful. :new_shocked: :bgrin

I go on trail-treks for several hours at a time, over pretty rough terrain; and I will stick to my basket carts.
default_yes.gif
:
It is not intended to be a "do everything" cart. If you want one of those, you may need an Easy Entry, but if you want a "sports car" of carts, try it out.
Exactly...what I tried to say earlier.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to try one out, especially as we here, do "game" our horses. (at a trot) We compete in barrels, poles, etc...as well as roadster, so it might be just the ticket for such fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sue_C. said:
Ah but Sue, let's be honest here. That discussion was pertaining to the once or twice that vehicle has gone over. Ever.
I did not say it was "all the time"...I was only stating what I had READ, on the List, as I even stated. I don't think that should be infired that my honesty is to be questioned. :eek: :bgrin
default_rolleyes.gif
: If you would read on, I also said that "I think it is probably very much a case of realizing what you are driving, and taking precautions accordingly."
I did read on! I said that you were right about being aware of the limitations of whatever vehicle you were driving and in fact intended to agree with you on many points while clarifying the difference between the roadsters to which your points applied and the Hyperbike. I do sincerely hope you didn't really take me as saying you were lying or otherwise being dishonest in any way. I had that fake Scottish brogue in my mind as I was saying "Auk, lassie, let's be honest here...." I had a big smile on my face as I was "saying" it. Really I did!

I'm sorry if my phrasing was poor but I did want to point out that the discussion in question on the CD-L (of which I was part) was regarding one or two single incidents which were noteworthy only because they were so unusual. I have not personally overturned my easy entry yet although I've come close from seat-sliding on a hairpin turn on a downhill slope at Happ's but other people seem to routinely flip them, horse and all. I just didn't want the original poster to think the Hyperbike was any worse for overturning than any other vehicle.

Leia

To address the original questions: yes, I think you might be a 'bit' closer to the ground in a hyperbike, but don't see it as much different; I can't say which would be easier to control in an emergency, but my 'gut' says there might not be a big difference-there are so many possible variations of what could happen;and third-I personally feel safer in my Frontier EE cart than I feel I would in a hyperbike.

I see many uses for the hyperbike, but as others have said, I will stick with my Frontier EE(not all EE pipe carts are created equal!). I have a Jerald obstacle cart which also enables you to sit 'up close' to the horse's rear, and be 'right there' as the horse turns/maneuvers-but, for a drive of any duration, the 'feet up' position with stirrups is VERY tiring, esp. when you are my age!!

For an all-around, everyday- usage, family-oriented(as you can have a passenger), reasonably tough and versatile, and modestly-priced single miniature driving vehicle, I believe a well-made EE cart is the best bet(and I would recommend the Frontier brand, due to experience).A(well-made)n easy entry is fast and easy to enter and exit and can carry passengers,to mention just a couple of its merits. I would consider the hyperbike indeed to be a 'sports model'-fun, but not a true all-around vehicle.

BTW-I have been driving a Frontier EE as my everyday/training vehicle since early '85-a LOT-and I have NEVER turned one over. As a former barrel racer/pole bender/goat tie-er(NIRA,and before and after), I am certainly not afraid to 'blow and go'-but I am careful, and I make sure my horses, all of which I have trained myself, except for two I bought(neither of which arrived as well-trained/well-mannered as the ones I raised and trained)-are properly trained AND mannered before I ask them for advanced maneuvers such as work at speed.

My personal recommendation would be to start with a GOOD EE pipe cart, then, if you love driving(which you almost certainly WILL!), add a hyperbike once you are 'further into' it!

Margo

I do sincerely hope you didn't really take me as saying you were lying or otherwise being dishonest in any way. I had that fake Scottish brogue in my mind as I was saying "Auk, lassie, let's be honest here...." I had a big smile on my face as I was "saying" it. Really I did!
:lol:
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol: Hence my rolled eyes, and smiley faces.
default_wink.png
: No offense taken lassie!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back