Hunter/Jumper Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Little Blessing

Reaction score
I am interested in getting into the hunter/jumper minis. I love my little munchkin who drives and while she does love to jump, she isn't put together to jump the heights that the shows require. I have been trying to look into some price info for a mini who has been there and done that. Obviously I know it varies because these beggers are so versatile and may have more than one job, but am looking for a ball park estimate on what one might cost.

My ideal horse would be 5-7 years old , a mare or gelding who has been shown before and would be suitable for an Amateur. One that measured into the under section would also be great. ;)

There is a farm that has some beautiful minis for sale and I know they are reputable. I could call and ask, but want to get some more info so it doesn't look like I'm kicking tires.

Thanks in advance!

Are you simply looking for a hunter/jumper mini? I haven't seen many minis out there that can't jump well, so I would think it would be rather easy. Since it is for performance, it likely wouldn't matter if the horse has some flaws, (like a long face, small eyes, long back, etc.) which would help drop the price more so. I feel you are looking around $750 to $4000( for an EXTREMELY well broke, already winning champion show horse.) I think it is rare to find a good jumper/hunter who is ONLY that. Most do driving or halter or obstacle too. I think you will get some really great deals on a good jumping horse, especially a gelding - which I love!
default_aktion033.gif
Happy shopping.
default_wink.png

I'm not sure just what you are asking here. What/where are you showing? In AMHA they do raise the standards to eliminate but in AMHR the whole jumping thing is a crock as it's the person & horse that can run the fastest. AMHR jumps are seldom raised higher than 30" at the shows I've attended. Even my lazy 31" stallion can clear these and he originally didn't like to jump. So I don't understand your comment on "not being put together to jump". If they're overweight that's another story.

Most any horse can be taught to jump but the ones that enjoy it will try harder. My 34" mare has cleared 36 -40" (we didn't get to measure the jump at a AMHA show). However, she' been with me since she was a baby and trusts me totally so no matter what I ask of her she trys (driving, obstacle, jumps etc.) As for "build", I've seen under 30" horses clear 40" jumps.

I doubt that you'll find prices any higher because they can do performance (jumping etc.) classes. Your best bet if you don't have the time to spend on training is to look for a horse that's been shown before (the ones with the higher prices are often the ones that won at halter). Then go and try the horse yourself. If you can't catch it or it shys from your touch or you can't lead it "because it's been in the pasture too long", then it's the wrong horse.

A good Amateur horse will be eager to please and willingly to let you pet, lead and "mess" with it in general.

Just want to point out that some of the smaller minis can do really well in HUNTER, which is judged on form and consistency and the jumps don't get raised. They may not be super competitive in JUMPER (I am sure there are exceptions!) but not all of the best jumpers have the good form or consistent gaits that are required for hunter either. And of course, it depends on which registry, as the rules for jumper are quite different for AMHA & AMHR & PtHA.

Good luck!

ETA: If you know a farm that is REPUTABLE, I would start there. We thought we might be "kicking tires" at the first farm we went to (Sawmill River Farm) and we have now bought several minis from them and co-own another one with them!

Last edited by a moderator:
midnight - Thank you for your reply, that is really helpful. I would LOVE to find something "fancy" enough to do halter, too and of course obstacle classes would be a blast. Your giant price range was actually very helpful.
default_wink.png
:

Sandee - My little mare is barely 30". She is not at all over weight, but is a bit lazy. Those things don't concern me. What concerns me is the lack of angle in her hind legs. While he isn't post-legged, she has a very small angle to her hocks. Jumping just isn't a strain I want to put on her. Pop her over a few little rails and rail piles every so often, but it isn't a job she needs to do. She is currently teach children recovering from cancer all about driving minis, so let that be her forte. Thank you for the other advice! I do want one that has been actively showing, don't need anyhting shying away from me.
default_yes.gif
:

targetsmom - Sawmill is EXACTLY the farm I was looking at! That is so funny! Thank you for the info about hunters and jumpers. I have grown up riding hunter/jumpers all my life so have some sense of what is needed be competitive, but having the mini side of it is great too.

I forgot to mention that I am looking to do A and R shows. I live in Suburbia, NJ and just want to have an increased options of what shows I can go to. I think the R jumper classes are funny and for a lazy 22 year old, might be a great reason to stay in shape!

YOU GUYS ROCK, KEEP THE REPLIES COMING!

Edited for dumb spelling.
default_whistling.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter we have all sizes and my favorite one just to let you know is our 30 and under gelding, jmo, I agree with you on being able to do halter, my two are res world halter champions and do hunter, now Doors is in training for driving cant wait for versatility woohoo

I love Kristina from Sawmill!

Bumping this just in case anyone else has any more info.
default_saludando.gif
:salute
I am surprised that Yaddax from the forum has not responded. They do a lot of this and most of their horses are trained for it. Otherwise check out thier website www.enchantedhollow.net

Latest posts

Back